Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

What if there were a server WITHOUT the cartel market?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
What if there were a server WITHOUT the cartel market?

Machine-Elf
01.11.2013 , 02:04 PM | #1
So I just had an idea: what if there were a server in which the Cartel Market didn't exist? This server would be exclusive to subscribers who would pay a premium (say, 20$/25$ a month instead of the standard 15$) in order to gain access to it.

All the items available on the Cartel Market servers would also be available to players in the subscription-only server, purchasable with credits, or obtainable through the game's various time-sinks: Legacy, social, and alignment levels.

For instance, those red glowing eyes that drop out of packs would be obtainable after reaching dark side alignment level III (or the same level for lightside alignment, for the yellow glowing eyes). The Sith throne mount would unlock automatically as a reward for reaching Legacy level X. Emotes would unlock as a reward for reaching a certain social level as well. And so on, and so on...

The principal lure for players to explore this option would be that they could obtain these items for free. The down side of it, though (apart from the extra 5/10 bucks they'd have to pay for the privilege) is that it would take a lot of time for them to obtain said items, and the whole impulse buy/instant gratification scenario which characterizes the current, standard F2P model would be beyond their grasp.

What would be the advantage of this from Bioware's perspective, you ask? Well, apart from getting a potentially smaller, though much more stable, source of income, it would help them to retain and perhaps even recoup a lot of the players who, disillusioned with the F2P model and its increasingly tangible "pay to win" aspects, intend to abandon or have already abandoned, the game.

So in theory, everyone wins.

Is this feasible? I feel that, if it were, Bioware would need to move in on its implementation sooner rather than later, before the F2P model alters the game's systems to such a degree that it would be too much work to implement this idea.

TimelessSyth
01.11.2013 , 02:07 PM | #2
Am pretty sure most subscribers enjoy a few items from the Cartel market....so I would vote no.

uziforyou
01.11.2013 , 02:08 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Machine-Elf View Post
So I had just an idea: what if there were a server in which the Cartel Market didn't exist? This server would be exclusive to subscribers, who in turn would pay a premium (say, 20$ a month instead of the standard 15$) in order to gain access to it.

All the items available on the Cartel Market servers would also be available to players in the subscription-only server, purchasable with credits, or obtainable through the game's various time-sinks: Legacy, social, and alignment levels.

Is this feasible? I feel that, if it were, Bioware would need to move in on its implementation sooner rather than later, before the F2P model alters the game's system to such a degree that it would be too much work to implement this idea.
And the incentive for Bioware to do this would be.....................................?
"When you're bleeding out in a ditch on some muckball planet it's not headquarters that comes to save you, it's the guy next to you."

Cylnael
01.11.2013 , 02:08 PM | #4
I vote YES

Machine-Elf
01.11.2013 , 02:09 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by uziforyou View Post
And the incentive for Bioware to do this would be.....................................?
Are you serious? Have you seen the amount of hatred the game has gotten for the F2P transition?

Icebergy
01.11.2013 , 02:10 PM | #6
This is a terrible idea. It would be a huge waste of money for Bioware to do, and it would be empty. I doubt more than a few people would care to play on it.
This signature is a slap in the face!
Mikal'B, Battlemaster and Fleet Commodore of the Republic.
<Contraband Inc> 10/10 NiM, 4/4 NiM, NMP, 3/12 NiM, HM GF, 4/5 NiM
Jedi Covenant

ItchyThePenguin
01.11.2013 , 02:12 PM | #7
No thanks. I actually enjoy my cartel armor and such, thanks very much!
Jedi Guardian -- Miscreant (55)
Formerly of Mind Trick and Corellian Run -- Now of The Shadowlands

Machine-Elf
01.11.2013 , 02:14 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by ItchyThePenguin View Post
No thanks. I actually enjoy my cartel armor and such, thanks very much!
You must have missed this paragraph: All the items available on the Cartel Market servers would also be available to players in the subscription-only server, purchasable with credits, or obtainable through the game's various time-sinks: Legacy, social, and alignment levels.

Spoletta
01.11.2013 , 02:17 PM | #9
With the later corrections the actual F2p system is well implemented for both free players and subs. We don't need that server.

Arlon_Nabarlly
01.11.2013 , 02:18 PM | #10
Won't happen. Obiviously this is just guess based on anecdotal data but I think most people paying on the market actually are subscribers. People who enjoy the game, want to see it succeed, and have disposable income to blow hundreds of dollars on a game.