Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Difficult to start swotor

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

phfph
01.10.2013 , 07:02 AM | #1
I have some problem to start the game.
When i click start it starts up and when it come to last page the wheel at bottom right just spinning and nothing happens. I have to close it and try again a couple of times before it will start.
What i have done in the past is that i change pc and just copy the entire swotor folder and put it on the new pc
I make backup now and then of swotor folder just in case. It will start ok after some restart. And the game runs ok when it starts.

gerrardspam
01.10.2013 , 07:34 AM | #2
I am having the same issue- game is stuck on the final loading screen and the wheel just keeps spinning around. Haven't been able to log in now since yesterday.

Beesodd
01.10.2013 , 07:40 AM | #3 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Hi there,

This issue is usually caused by security software (or some other 3rd party program) blocking the client from accessing the servers. Please remove and re-add the game and launcher to your firewall and anti-virus exceptions lists.
Please disable any traffic management software too.

Beesodd | BioWare Customer Service - Forum Support

Morto
01.10.2013 , 07:51 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Beesodd View Post
Hi there,

This issue is usually caused by security software (or some other 3rd party program) blocking the client from accessing the servers. Please remove and re-add the game and launcher to your firewall and anti-virus exceptions lists.
Please disable any traffic management software too.
same issue and I can tell you this isnt the problem. Windows did launched an update yesterday...

Davidc
01.10.2013 , 08:03 AM | #5
I'm also sometimes getting this issue where swtor is slow to start up the loging button doesn't appear for minutes, everything was fine until the last patch.

Other problems include swtor booting me out to server selection screen after being stable and playing for hours, then not letting me back in, I tried restarting the game but experienced the login button not being usable or taking ages to load in but not actually doing anything, sometimes progressing as far as character selection then when trying to load in the game not actually loading but the loading icon spinning in the corner. End result I had to reboot my machine to log in again.

I believe that something is happening within swtor that making the client and the client computer unstable and being unnable to reconnect to your server.

This is not a problem with my security software, I have done nothing with my antivirus and the only changes were some monthly updates from microsoft for windows 7 and your recent patch.

I'm on The Red Eclipse EU/PVE server and it's been acting strange for a few weeks now, booting numbers of guild members randomly and has even been down twice, when all other servers were available.
The Dark side? it gets everywhere u know

phfph
01.10.2013 , 09:15 AM | #6
Glad to see I'm not the only one with problems

Beesodd
01.10.2013 , 09:35 AM | #7 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Hi again, I said the security software is the most common cause, not the only one.

As mentioned, this is due to a connection issue between your copy of the game and our servers, and there's a wide variety of causes.
This can be caused by a client issue (you can try a repair, run the game and launcher in Windows XP SP3 compatibility mode ), a security/3rd party program issue (check/disable these), a network settings issue (flush DNS, make sure you're not using a VPN/ Proxy/modified hosts file), Windows issue (try a new user profile), network issue (quite common, they tend to "resolve themselves" as the ISP clears up whatever problem they're having) and server issue on our end (They do happen, but this doesn't appear to be the case here).

Even if you didn't change anything on your machine since a patch, sometimes security software doesn't like the newly patched game, and it needs it's exceptions re-entered. Note that "disabling" security software frequently doesn't disable it at all, and it will still interfere with other processes.

Morto, please try the steps above.

Davidc, you appear to have either game client issues or network ones. I'd be inclined to think the latter, but to check for the former, please download and run a copy of the setup file (available here) and "reinstall" the game. This doesn't start from scratch and will use your existing good assets, making it a quick process.

phfph, I'd be inclined to think that this is a handful of disparate issues. This is a farily common one that pops up frequently, mostly due to the wide variety of causes mentioned above.

I hope this is helpful.

KrixRunning
01.10.2013 , 09:49 AM | #8
All,

Not sure if this will help or not. MSFT did release a bunch of Win 7 updates within the last 48 hours. I also have comcast as my ISP (blech!). Because of this I use the Constant Guard Protection Suite, as well as Norton AV.

I have been having a problem, where when I login, I am UNABLE to see any server in the server selection screen. I contacted support, and he had me run the fix launcher command. Upon doing that, the launcher would not connect to the login server. Obviously at this point I realized that this was a connectivity issue.

Upon further investigation, I was able to determine that the Windows Updates, reset "some, not all" of my FW settings changing the swtor,exe from the setting "Allow" in my Norton FW, to "Auto". I manually changed it back, and now I am able to get to the login service, enumerate the servers, and login to the game

I hope this post helps some, if not all of you!

Beesodd
01.10.2013 , 09:56 AM | #9 This is the last staff post in this thread.  
That most certainly sounds extremely relevant and helpful, KrixRunning.

Thanks.

Davidc
01.10.2013 , 09:21 PM | #10
Thanks for the reply support, i've done what you suggested and I've had not problems this evening, i'll continue to note any problems I encounter and let you know thanks.
The Dark side? it gets everywhere u know