Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

:mad: Cartel Sucks


DarthTHC's Avatar


DarthTHC
01.09.2013 , 08:33 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Blackardin View Post
Or as they say, "RNG is the worst, and laziest way to go about a video game". A skill based reward system with a minor reliance on RNG, for everything, is the only way to go.

Further, this is not a gambling site. These things should not even be in the game, and the only reason they are is the current money grab.

The game has such potential, but this is the entire reason the game is in the state it is. These guys just don't get it.....and at this point I believe they never will. Second rate people make second rate games as that is all they know.
Methinks you need to figure out who EA is and how they operate.

They do not make games for the love of the game. They make games to maximize their profit. That is 100% the goal of every EA executive. They're not second rate. They're very good at it. Very, very good.

The gambling packs help them achieve that goal. They're going to keep doing it until people quit buying them... and people are not going to quit buying them.

MillionsKNives's Avatar


MillionsKNives
01.09.2013 , 08:49 AM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthTHC View Post
Methinks you need to figure out who EA is and how they operate.

They do not make games for the love of the game. They make games to maximize their profit. That is 100% the goal of every EA executive. They're not second rate. They're very good at it. Very, very good.

The gambling packs help them achieve that goal. They're going to keep doing it until people quit buying them... and people are not going to quit buying them.
Exactly. Humans are provably very bad at dealing with probability. Most think that because there is a chance that they may get a good item that they will, if only they buy a few packs, or a few more, or a few more. People fall into the trap not realizing that the only way to win is to not play. If everyone realized that then gambling boxes wouldn't sell and EA wouldn't sell them. But they do sell, in every game they're available. And people don't just buy a couple and stop, some spend buttloads on them, which makes EA a ton of money. I have heard the lottery called "an idiot tax" before, and I feel that's an appropriate fit for gambling boxes as well.

I dislike them (in case you couldn't tell) and don't buy them, but I have no problem buying the pieces from people who do. People can waste (again my opinion) their money on whatever they want, as long as I can still get the items (through trading) then it doesn't bother me.


Edit:
Quote: Originally Posted by Blackldr View Post
Well fortunately for me i know how to program, and just thinking of the code for the randoms stuff i know that their randomizer isnt very good at randomizing things i opened 4 containers in an hour and got the exact same thing
If you're familiar with programming and RNG then you would know that "5,5,5,5,5,5,5" is just as random a series of numbers as "5,7,8,2,3,4,2". Random doesn't mean "it's different every time", it just means "it's unpredictable".

Blackardin's Avatar


Blackardin
01.09.2013 , 08:50 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Galbatorrix View Post
The Cartel Market, over all, is actually amazing. Since it's release (and without spending more than maybe 20 bucks), I've made around 5 Million Credits, Unlocked all inventory and cargo bay slots on ALL characters, unlocked the additional 4 character slots, bought legacy items like species and Rocket Boost, etc. I've bought several sets of the CM market gear....

The fact that most of the items go on the GTN is what makes it awesome. If you're buying tons of gambling bags (and actually opening them) then you're doing it wrong.
Twenty bucks for five million? I'm tending to think not as the average rate of return on cartel farmed products is about 83,332 credits per dollar. Even the newest items such as character unlocks are costing about 6 dollars and yeilding 500,000 credits.

That would mean in order to earn 5 million credits returned it would cost approximately 60 to 80 dollars in investments, which seems about right. Always take what the gambler "says" he lost and triple it if you want to know the truth LOL.

Bottom line here is that you could do much better just spending 20 minutes a day farming or playing the gtn, and not handing over real money to them, which is exactly what they want you doing. Credits mean nothing to them. Your money does.
May the Schwartz be with you....

TUXs's Avatar


TUXs
01.09.2013 , 08:53 AM | #14
It's random(ish). Don't get mad over buying gambling packs...I have zero sympathy.
All warfare is based on deception If his forces are united, separate them If you are far from the enemy, make him believe you are near A leader leads by example not by force

My referral code: here (what you get here)

Galbatorrix's Avatar


Galbatorrix
01.09.2013 , 08:57 AM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Blackardin View Post
Twenty bucks for five million? I'm tending to think not as the average rate of return on cartel farmed products is about 83,332 credits per dollar. Even the newest items such as character unlocks are costing about 6 dollars and yeilding 500,000 credits.

That would mean in order to earn 5 million credits returned it would cost approximately 60 to 80 dollars in investments, which seems about right. Always take what the gambler "says" he lost and triple it if you want to know the truth LOL.

Bottom line here is that you could do much better just spending 20 minutes a day farming or playing the gtn, and not handing over real money to them, which is exactly what they want you doing. Credits mean nothing to them. Your money does.
I got the Nihlius mask originally and sold it for 2.8 Million. Since then, I've used that money to make money buying and selling off the GTN. For instance, I bought a Throne for 1.5 Million and then sold it for 2.5. To be honest, I've probably made more than 5 Million thanks to the Nihlius mask. Though admittedly, getting the mask in the first place was luck.

Blackardin's Avatar


Blackardin
01.09.2013 , 09:09 AM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthTHC View Post
Methinks you need to figure out who EA is and how they operate.

They do not make games for the love of the game. They make games to maximize their profit. That is 100% the goal of every EA executive. They're not second rate. They're very good at it. Very, very good.

The gambling packs help them achieve that goal. They're going to keep doing it until people quit buying them... and people are not going to quit buying them.
When I need someone to explain the philosophies of business practices, I'll be sure to give you a call. LOL I only have a masters and 35 years experience running one. ;p

....and they are not very good at it. To the contrary, I would contend that they are horrible at such, and if it were up to me I'd clear the table and start over. Best guess is that their sophomoric business practices are yeilding them about 1/3 to profit they should be attaining is such a rich, plump market.

They should be sitting on top right now, the next wow, with subscriber revenue topping the charts. What they are doing is what many "dumb" companies do, fail to provide a marketable product designed to maintain over the long haul (because of their second rate nature, low bid contractors and employees etc), then bring in rescue teams, blame the developers, and attempt to repair the mess their own stupidity has created when the "short term, quick profit" approach blows up in their collective faces....such as we are seeing now.

Had they done it right from the get-go, had keen business sense, sought more then "lowest bid, lowest cost", we would not even be here. It is only this ripe market, the constant turnover in demographic (new kids entering the market on a continual basis), that has allowed them to survive at all. In an adult market they would have collapsed long ago. In short, they are a junk company, bottom feeders, scrounging along on less then ethical business practices that would never fly in more mature markets.
May the Schwartz be with you....

Blackardin's Avatar


Blackardin
01.09.2013 , 09:11 AM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by Galbatorrix View Post
I got the Nihlius mask originally and sold it for 2.8 Million. Since then, I've used that money to make money buying and selling off the GTN. For instance, I bought a Throne for 1.5 Million and then sold it for 2.5. To be honest, I've probably made more than 5 Million thanks to the Nihlius mask. Though admittedly, getting the mask in the first place was luck.
Ok, I can go with that. A single item, single stroke of luck can tip the charts. Nice!

I thought you were speaking of average revenues while playing the market.
May the Schwartz be with you....

DarthTHC's Avatar


DarthTHC
01.09.2013 , 09:13 AM | #18
Hmm... yeah... you make a good point. They're only here selling gambling packs because they completely screwed up making the game.

But you have to admit they're really really good at selling gambling packs...

Galbatorrix's Avatar


Galbatorrix
01.09.2013 , 09:16 AM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by Blackardin View Post
Ok, I can go with that. A single item, single stroke of luck can tip the charts. Nice!

I thought you were speaking of average revenues while playing the market.

Well, people could always buy the packs, sell them (350-400K each) and then use the money to play the GTN as I did until they can buy everything they want with credits. They could spend the same 20 I did, make around 1.5 or so Million off selling the packs and then begin the "GTN Game!"

Blackardin's Avatar


Blackardin
01.09.2013 , 09:16 AM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthTHC View Post
Hmm... yeah... you make a good point. They're only here selling gambling packs because they completely screwed up making the game.

But you have to admit they're really really good at selling gambling packs...
No question there. They are aces at this type of thing. if i didn't agree with that in all my blathering, I apologize.
May the Schwartz be with you....