Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Space Combat

Ruke
01.05.2013 , 02:34 PM | #1
Space combat played a serious role in the movies and the books. I think this game would stand to gain a TON of playability by adding real space combat. The way the space combat works right now is pretty lousy. It was never really a fun part of the game. It's more like this little mini-game that's fun for a few minutes but since you can't really control the way you fly, it's sort of ... boring.

I'd love to hear whether or not BioWare had any plans to re-vamp this current mini-game concept of space flight and turn it into another part of the actual game.

That'd be so awesome

CharagonIGN
01.05.2013 , 02:38 PM | #2
It's not LIKE a mini-game. It IS a mini-game. How do people still not understand this?

WookieIsshe
01.05.2013 , 02:44 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Ruke View Post
Space combat played a serious role in the movies and the books. I think this game would stand to gain a TON of playability by adding real space combat. The way the space combat works right now is pretty lousy. It was never really a fun part of the game. It's more like this little mini-game that's fun for a few minutes but since you can't really control the way you fly, it's sort of ... boring.

I'd love to hear whether or not BioWare had any plans to re-vamp this current mini-game concept of space flight and turn it into another part of the actual game.

That'd be so awesome
Yes they do and have been working on it for some time. Back in Beta they did a poll for the most desired addition to the game and free roaming space combat was at the top by 70%. They have confirmed they are working on a SSSP but we have a while to wait for more news on it. One of the developers in a recent podcast interview stated they have a working model of it and have played it and by their own word it was awesome.
I believe that you and I and several thousands of other fans will get our wish. We just have to be patient and let them do it right.

sstanks
01.05.2013 , 02:56 PM | #4
http://www.darthhater.com/articles/s...m-q-a-coverage

from just over a month ago

Quote:
Q: How is the super space project doing? Does it exist? Schubert: Oh, it exists. Hickman: I was actually playing what you're talking about yesterday, running through the prototype demo. I wish I could give you details. It's great. It's a departure from our current space game. We have a team dedicated to working on it. But it is far out in the future. You won't hear anything about it any time soon. Schubert: It is under wraps. It is a lot of fun. It's definitely not anything we've shipped in the original product.
Key words on there

not anything we've shipped in the original product

and

it's a departure from our current space game.

CTFoxhound
01.05.2013 , 03:37 PM | #5
the "SSSP" will be a major expansion down the road and not a mini expansion like the hutt cartel is. I have a feeling we are going to be waiting well over another year for it though sadly

darhsteel
01.05.2013 , 03:47 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Ruke View Post

That'd be so awesome
as i was installing the game,i had dreams of flying around in my own ship going where i wanted to go(i didnt youtube any gameplay when i got swtor) and when i got my own ship,i was sooo bummed with space combat/travel