Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

This game feels cramped


dietsunkists's Avatar


dietsunkists
01.04.2013 , 03:02 PM | #1
I rolled a Jedi Knight and the starter zone seems tiny compared to the zones in other MMOs such as FFXI and WoW. I thought it would get better later on but Coruscant felt even smaller and the corridors did not help one bit.

I subscribed to see what the full experience of this game would be like but I am currently disappointed. Does it get better later on?

BrianEvol's Avatar


BrianEvol
01.04.2013 , 03:04 PM | #2
The planets get much bigger. Taris won't feel terribly epic or huge, but Tattooine and Hoth definitely feel more "I'm so far from town right now and Quick Travel is on cooldown. =("

And if you have a good computer you can see for quite a distance on those planets.
The Virilius Legacy
Thraxx
Hyperspace Cannon/Early Access Veteran

chuixupu's Avatar


chuixupu
01.04.2013 , 03:06 PM | #3
Yes, the planets get bigger and bigger as you level. Tatooine, Hoth, and Belsavis are huge. The reason why planets feel "cramped" isn't really a size issue, but the fact that you're on a planet that is unconnected to other worlds, and the world design isn't very exploration friendly lots of dead ends, walls, etc..
Wardens of Fate / Alea Iacta Est
The Tarkus Legacy ~ The Harbinger/Jedi Covenant

Hambunctious's Avatar


Hambunctious
01.04.2013 , 03:31 PM | #4
They're still small, and most planets are nothing but paths with unclimbable obstacles on either side.

lordtwig's Avatar


lordtwig
01.04.2013 , 03:45 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Hambunctious View Post
They're still small, and most planets are nothing but paths with unclimbable obstacles on either side.
100% disagree. What you have expressed is an opinion.

In my opinion what you have is a huge area filled with stuff. Hills, mountains, cliffs, rivers, canyons, plus outposts, towns, cities and lots of wreckage (previous city planet, starships, other stuff). A lot of that stuff you just can't walk over. Sometimes you have to go through passes or tunnels or something else to get to another area (another zone).

I have been out backpacking in the mountains and guess what? You can't just walk over them (and jumping doesn't help). Honestly most MMOs (including this one) are far more open than the real world is.

ebado's Avatar


ebado
01.04.2013 , 03:46 PM | #6
You'll be complaining about how big they are by the time you get to Hoth.

AgentJacen's Avatar


AgentJacen
01.04.2013 , 03:50 PM | #7
Taris is long, and all the quests are run around and kill Rakghouls, like this one here: Seriously, I only liked one side quest on Taris.
"Only I've been both Jedi and Sith, and found clarity in the force." -Revan

Arkerus's Avatar


Arkerus
01.04.2013 , 03:57 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by lordtwig View Post
100% disagree. What you have expressed is an opinion.

In my opinion what you have is a huge area filled with stuff. Hills, mountains, cliffs, rivers, canyons, plus outposts, towns, cities and lots of wreckage (previous city planet, starships, other stuff). A lot of that stuff you just can't walk over. Sometimes you have to go through passes or tunnels or something else to get to another area (another zone).

I have been out backpacking in the mountains and guess what? You can't just walk over them (and jumping doesn't help). Honestly most MMOs (including this one) are far more open than the real world is.
This is a really good point and one I have thought about myself. The amount of "exploration" you can do is just about what you can do in real life. See the huge mountain off in the distance....yeah, you aren't going there. And what exactly do you people want to them to do? Build miles and miles of useless, empty terrain? why?
Hooning in the rex : http://youtu.be/xtXUM6yPMCY

CosmicKat's Avatar


CosmicKat
01.04.2013 , 03:57 PM | #9
They are small and their design makes them seem smaller. Add to that virtually insta-travel everywhere and they seem even smaller still.

It's really a shame, the visuals on most planets are really impressively done. A 3 dressed up as a 9.

CosmicKat's Avatar


CosmicKat
01.04.2013 , 04:02 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Arkerus View Post
This is a really good point and one I have thought about myself. The amount of "exploration" you can do is just about what you can do in real life. See the huge mountain off in the distance....yeah, you aren't going there. And what exactly do you people want to them to do? Build miles and miles of useless, empty terrain? why?
Because a 100 square mile virtual world with brain-dead clusters of enemies every 20 yards, with linear marked paths running everywhere feels like a level in a solo RPG.

A 1000 square mile virtual world with terrain and monsters logically placed, and open to exploration feels like a real world.

You know... linear solo game vs. open-world MMO?