Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Kill order is weak to strong

sumuser
01.04.2013 , 05:39 AM | #11
Kill order is dynamic. As one poster pointed out, Kaon is an exception. Another exception is the make-up of the DPS crew. If I'm playing my 20k marauder alt and there is a 20k sniper or merc in the group, I do expect them to use their AOEs to take care of trash that is grp'ed while I take down the 32k guys... there is no reason to force jump to something that will be dead by time i get there.

Instead of getting overally particular of the order, the most important thing to always remember is the DPS'ers job is to kill all the trash BEFORE you start on what the tank is holding and to always pay attention for ADDs (as they will swarm and kill the healer). Also use your FREAKING CCs and map a marker icon to a keyboard key.

A crew that uses CCs, doesnt break CCs, mops up the trash the tank isnt holding, and watches for ADDs is a good group.
Jedi Covenant
Apotheosis | lvl 50 | Bounty Hunter
Utnapishtim | lvl 50 | Sith Warrior

PlanetLove
01.04.2013 , 06:05 AM | #12
The problem is, in a all other MMOs with the "holy trinity" (tank, healer ,dps) it is a faux pas to attack another target than the tank or to take damage as a dps other than during unavoidable AOE. It would get you kicked out of the group very quickly.

So people have to adapt in SWTOR and many DPS players don't even know that you are supposed to tag all the weak and normal ones so they don't go for the healer and kill them first, then the hard mobs, then elite. There are some exceptions as mentioned.

Your tank cannot keep aggro on all the mobs because AOE aggro and AOE ability range in SWTOR is limited and mobs are spread out and mostly ranged, which makes it harder to keep aggro on all mobs. Normal mobs don't do much damage, your healer can heal the dps much easier than himself when 3+ mobs shoot at him (spell pushback! ).

DonkeyGobbler
01.04.2013 , 10:34 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by PlanetLove View Post
So people have to adapt in SWTOR and many DPS players don't even know that you are supposed to tag all the weak and normal ones so they don't go for the healer and kill them first, then the hard mobs, then elite. There are some exceptions as mentioned.
On my healer I love those fights where I spend the entire time healing myself while everyone else is oblivious...

Joesixxpack
01.04.2013 , 10:43 AM | #14
I'm seeing issues with this far more frequently lately. Seems to go along with other behaviors like loafing behind the group and saying "lulz I'm watching youtube" when asked WTH?

New blood in the game, so I'm assuming we're getting more bads with the goods.
SifuStoli Sage | Joesixxpack VG | BBQ'Ribs GS | Hawt'Sauce Guard | Dark'nStormy Scrap
ilotSufiS Mara | BBQRibs Sin | BBQSammich PT | BBQSawce MM | Dark'n'Stormy Op Med
PROPHECY OF THE FIVE

Furiel
01.04.2013 , 10:54 AM | #15
Humbug, everyone knows that the proper attack order for DPS is...
1) CCed targets
2) anything attacking you
3) anything attaking the other DPS
4) the next group
5) anything the healer is still attacking beacuse they can't kill it themselves because thy weren't smart enough to roll a DPS toon
6) anything the tank can't kill because they weren't smart enough to roll a DPS toon
Furiel Plush
Cardinal and Raid Coordinator of The Church of Alvis

Tromador
01.04.2013 , 11:07 AM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by PlanetLove View Post
Your tank cannot keep aggro on all the mobs because AOE aggro and AOE ability range in SWTOR is limited.
That's why I like tanking on Assassin/Shadow. Much more AoE threat building than the other tanking classes. With a bit of practice and inventiveness with AoE placement, one can hold at least most of the mobs, even in a scattered pull.

Capt_Beers
01.04.2013 , 11:22 AM | #17
I used to hate healing the second pull in Maelstrom (I think), the one where you fight some big droids in front of the door and then you walk in and there is 15 regular mobs and a few strongs. Everyone would always jump to the strongs meanwhile I have 15 mobs chasing me around the hanger bay and everyone wonders why the healer is dead.
<FREE UGLY> - POT5 - <SUPER BADS>
Keith-Stone 55 Medic | | CaptBeers 55 Arsenal | | FOTM-Reroll 55 Tactics
Keet-Stone 55 Focus | | Keef-Stone 55 Infiltration | | Key'th 55 Advanced Prototype

OlosBC
01.04.2013 , 01:22 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Ardim View Post
I grasp and understand the concept, but I am admittedly guilty of this. I usually kill strongs first because I can wipe then out in about 3 seconds flat. Elites and above though, I ignore until the weaker enemies are taken care of.
Isaac you are who I think of when I hear the words "gold fever" haha. <3
Olos - 55 Hybrid Powertech
Fonia - 55 Madness Sorceror
<Dark Fury> of Jedi Covenant
Previously Fonia and Daygoru of Tempest server in SWG.

DakotaDoc
01.04.2013 , 01:33 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by Beattle View Post
Here here!!!!! Biggest pet peave of mine in any heriocs/fp's/ops. I think most dps should start off as healer or tank to really know how much of a difference it is to kill adds first.

My tank once got called worse tank in game, because, dps decided to attack the gold i started on, which left the 3 nons, 2 silvers attacking the healer. I left gold, took agro off the healer, both dps died, healer and I lived, we got that fight. Hence, i'm worse tank in game.

Some people don't want to learn, or, listen to other people that may know better. I leave groups now after fast wipes.
Exaclty, there should be some kind of training that people have to read before they are allowed in HM FP's. I have four tanks, Two DPS and one Seer Sage healer. I have seen them all and understand the role they should be doing Still I see DPS that want to play tank all the time. DPS is so much easier then the other two classes. There are few rules.

1:. Kill adds first, weak to strong. then help Tank. More adds appear, attack them.
2. If you see adds attacking healer, get them. Do not wait for the tank to drop aggro off the champ to pull them off the healer. That is your job.

bleidlein
01.04.2013 , 01:42 PM | #20
As a tank i have learned to adapt to these situations in pugs. I am a pt bounty hunter. First thing is to tell the group to mark targets. Jump to the toughest non cc'ed target and throw a single mob taunt on it. Then turn to the weakest target or healer target and pull them to me or just mosey on over to them while throwing attacks at them. As the gunslinger said, they can drop one of these in a couple hits. It may take me 2 or 3 more hits to drop them than a dps, but i can do it, so if i solo it then no big deal. then move to next toughest and so on till i get back to the strongest.

While doing this i am watching the healers health bar to make sure they didn't draw aggro on something and if their hp are going down then i will move to them mid fight to beat on their mob. If a dps has stayed on the elite i originally hit with a taunt then by the time he takes aggro by doing damage, I can get back to it and we can kill it off before he dies and/or my single target taunt will be refreshed and i can easily take back aggro.

This has been very effective lately and i have had virtually no issues.