Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Gaming on Retina Macbook Pro... My fingers are roasting

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Gaming on Retina Macbook Pro... My fingers are roasting

BadOrb
01.04.2013 , 11:19 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by MasterPerseus View Post
Cooling pad kept the bottom of the retina macbook cool, but didn't stop the keys from burning up. I'm a little further out from an apple store, so I called tech support this morning and left a ticket.
I bought a gaming laptop a few months back with a zalman fan cooler , it was running quite hot on the left hand side of the laptop but after about 5 weeks the machine as it where has burnt in and is now just warm. This is the norm with new computers and especially for gaming. Not sure about Mac's though.

Cheers,

BadOrb.
'Ah you think micro transactions are your ally ? The DLC betrays you because it belongs to me , when your home world is monetized , you have my permission to buy'.
"Oh goody. Lord Douchebag McFuzzlebunny can now be related to me if he see's my legacy name and decides he likes it." quote from Selvec 09/06/12

Malastare
01.04.2013 , 11:21 AM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by MasterPerseus View Post
Got it. Thanks. I ran a temperature check while in bootcamp windows during gaming and saw all 4 cores running at 90 plus celsius. This would be normal except...my fingers burn. Will check it out!
I don't know of any CPU that is happy running at 90C. I'd have to assume that at hat level you are into thermal-throttling territory, and dangerously close to thermal shutdown. Something is up with your cooling system. Either the vents are blocked or the heatsinks are coming loose or you've got a dying fan or something. Whatever it is, you should figure it out and have it fixed before the heat kills some other component in the area.

MasterPerseus
01.05.2013 , 05:25 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Malastare View Post
I don't know of any CPU that is happy running at 90C. I'd have to assume that at hat level you are into thermal-throttling territory, and dangerously close to thermal shutdown. Something is up with your cooling system. Either the vents are blocked or the heatsinks are coming loose or you've got a dying fan or something. Whatever it is, you should figure it out and have it fixed before the heat kills some other component in the area.
I ran a temp check and the machine is running within temperature bounds, but I'm still feeling the burning through the keys, so I'm guessing it has something to do with the insulation, or thermal pasting. I'm returning the laptop tomorrow and having a replacement sent out.

Vanderzz
04.03.2013 , 02:53 PM | #24
So how is it ? Looking at your last entry on Janury I suppose this should be fixed, no?