Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Hardmode "manners"

DSpectre
01.10.2013 , 11:34 PM | #211
Quote: Originally Posted by river_of_Gem View Post
I don't think i can ever understand you, you are new and need help/instruction and other have to ask if you need help ?
no im saying:

I have a ability to say that i am new and to request help.

At the same time, the elitists could save themselves stress by asking themselves if anyone in the group is new.

Make sense now?
"Who I am is not important, my message is."
―Revan

slafko
01.11.2013 , 06:46 AM | #212
Quote: Originally Posted by DSpectre View Post
So what im saying here is, do you agree with this arrogant play-style? or do you think there should be more co-operative-ness (i know thats not a word) in these hard-mode flashpoints?

i can honestly say i'd like to think people are nicer than this but im about to give up on humanity over this
There's nothing arrogant with that play-style. As stated before, a vast majority of us has done those flashpoints a million times and we should be fairly comfortable doing them quickly and efficiently. Good manners would include letting your team mates know that it's your first time in a flashpoiont (not to mention an operation). It also helps if one announces they're playing a specific role for the first time in that flashpoint.

My main is a Shadow tank and I tend to breeze through each and every flashpoint either by soft cc of mobs or plain avoiding them in the first place. There is a certain rythm each flashpoint has and I know them all by heart. I also cut corners and play very aggressively. Reactions vary - some are glad they've been teamed up with a capable tank and the flashpoint was a breeze, some start whining and some people just quit because they can't cope. The least capable ones get kicked. Like the gunslinger that got aoe'd by the Trandoshan boss in LE.

Please, follow the tank. If he hugs a wall, you don't take the shortest route - you hug the wall too. If the tank tells you to position yourselves behind him, you do not stay in front of the boss and aggro two patrolling droids and you certainly do not stay on the stairs and aggro ten rakghouols. And if the tank smeggs up - at least it's not your fault and you get to gripe and troll.

Never_Hesitate
01.11.2013 , 07:00 AM | #213
Uhh I KNOW it is up to par. Because I'm able to run hard modes with it and no body complains about what stuff I'm wearing. So your point of the tionese mods not being up to "par" is wildly inaccurate.
In your privious post you said, that you ripped the mods out of the tionese and put them into modable armor.
It's wright that you keep the stats, but you lose the setbonus.
The setbonus is not world changing but it gives a bit of a boost (for most classes/specs).

Please do not see this as a offense against you, I just wanted you to be aware of it.
And finally: You can DPS/tank/heal Tier 1 HM fp's just fine in tionese or even recruit gear. (I never tried LI HM in this gear sets so I don't know about it)
T3-M4 - Lvl 55 Chars:
T'hana Jugg, Saleona Sniper, S'inthoras Mara,Hannahla Merc, Eleondra&Eleondraa Ops,
Leeonira Sorc, CaphalÝr Sorc, Kindarya Assa, LeoniŽ PT,
Revuna Mando, Leojuna Scoundrel, Simon'e Shadow, Sileona Guardian

Never_Hesitate
01.11.2013 , 07:03 AM | #214
Quote: Originally Posted by Khevar View Post
If you've been around since v1.1, then you know what it used to be like to gear up.

There was no group finder, there was no Campaign / Black Hole gear. The only way to get Columi or better was to do HM FPs and Ops. Didn't you do HM FPs in Tionese (or even worse)?
I remember my first runs, a lot of BT HM because it was the easiest till I got a few pieces of energiced and tionese.
T3-M4 - Lvl 55 Chars:
T'hana Jugg, Saleona Sniper, S'inthoras Mara,Hannahla Merc, Eleondra&Eleondraa Ops,
Leeonira Sorc, CaphalÝr Sorc, Kindarya Assa, LeoniŽ PT,
Revuna Mando, Leojuna Scoundrel, Simon'e Shadow, Sileona Guardian

Druzod
01.11.2013 , 09:08 AM | #215
So I have a level 50 Jedi Guardian tank and I'd like to start running HM FPs. I've not done them all in story mode yet so that's my first plan - view the cut scenes and get familiar w/ the basic mechanics. After that I will dip my toes into the hard modes. I know the tank is usually the leader and what not but are people more tolerant of newbie tanks?
"That is my spot. In an ever changing world, it is a single point of consistency. If my life were expressed as a function on a four dimensional Cartesian coordinate system, that spot, from the moment I first sat on it, would be 0-0-0-0. " -- Dr. Sheldon Cooper

mikebevo
01.11.2013 , 09:51 AM | #216
Quote: Originally Posted by Druzod View Post
I know the tank is usually the leader and what not but are people more tolerant of newbie tanks?
Certain people are intolerant of anyone new, but for the most part tanks and healers can get away with more innocent, new mistakes. Queue times are long waiting on a replacement tank, so I would not worry about getting kicked.

Personlly in our guild new tanks will usually do their first runs at hmfp with guild healers and dps. If you can find a geared healer guildmate/friend to queue with you. If not get a ready made group, I would advertise in General Chat, New Tank looking to do first HMFP for daily. You will most likely get intimidated with overgeared dps and healers waiting to join to avoid the long queue times. Now they owe you and they already know you are new so you were upfront with them, so you already are on friendly terms with them.

Another suggestion I would give if you know someone that's main is the same class and roll as your tank, but they have a alt dps and/or healer, see if they can queue with you. I know on our guild runs members that know the role can explain the fights so much easier to the new tanks and make the HMFP so much easier, you can do the SM and watch the video, but someone telling you specifics about your class and role makes everything smoother.

My last suggstion is be careful who you take advise from, not all advise is correct. No way of knowing if it is intentional or they just don't know the correct answer, but look up and read to double check, before committing anything concrete to any advise. I was a fresh 50 healer at one time, the tanks advise was I should never heal myself, all my heals should be to him and the dps. I took that advise for about 2 wipes.

Make sense now?
None whatsoever. If I am new to a instances it is my responsibility to inform the group, just as it is their responsibility to tell me if they are new. I know my knowledge and experience so it is up to me to share that with the group, it is not their responsibility to get that information out of me.

I would also like your definition of Elitist, because you seem to be calling anyone with a little gear and that does not do everything your way an Elitist. Sorry to me someone thinking their way is the only way to play the game and that puts their own benefit above the group is treading dangerously close to my definition of Elitist.

Slugamaniac
01.11.2013 , 12:11 PM | #217
OP, sorry mate, but your making a mountain out of a mole hill here. You've taken one bad experience and blown it up into a "US vs. THEM" argument. Bad flashpoint? Leave group and re-que. Never been in the FP before? Let people know so they know what to expect and hopefully they will let you know what is expected of you as well.

Example: while leveling my marauder to 50 a couple weeks ago, Collicod War Games popped in my daily dungeon. I had never finished the FP before since the first boss fight was buggy as hell at SWTOR's release. I had heard that the FP was fixed and decided to stick it out. Low and behold, the first boss fight was no longer buggy. Right after that fight I let the group know that, despite this being my 6th toon, I had never finished the FP and is there anything I needed to know at this point? Low and behold, they told me everything about the rest of the FP and the party proceeded to blow through it with no deaths or wipes.

Don't be "that girl" that causes the rest of the group to bang their heads on their desks. Speak up, listen, learn, and above all, be considerate of others. Nothing in any of your responses indicates you are even remotely sorry for the wipes you caused. Please take this as a learning experience and become a better player from it.
The Last Centurions - The Madhi Legacy - The Harbinger
Slugfest Slugtrooper Slugconsular Slackfest
Slugagent Slugwarrior Slughunter Slugsorcerer

Khevar
01.11.2013 , 12:29 PM | #218
no im saying:

I have a ability to say that i am new and to request help.

At the same time, the elitists could save themselves stress by asking themselves if anyone in the group is new.

Make sense now?
Just so you know, I've been trying to be (generally) on your side of this argument, as I always feel that being friendly is much preferable to being rude, and your original story sounded like it would have gone better if people had been a bit more patient.

But you keep throwing this "elitist" term around, and it's actually starting to get on my nerves.

Respect goes both ways. In all the months I've been playing this game, I've rarely run into people who are actually elitist, as "snobbish, exclusive, superior, arrogant, selective, pretentious, stuck-up"

But it's very easy to be rude to someone else, get a rude response, then point at them and say, "You're being elitist" And conversely, it's very easy to be friendly to that same person, and get a helpful response.

I can practically guarantee that if you stop assuming that experienced and skilled players are going to be elitist and rude, you may discover that most of them actually aren't.

Darth_Dreselus
01.11.2013 , 12:34 PM | #219
Why can't the experienced in turn; ask if anyone is new the hardmode. Before I get re-smashed for not myself asking first, I'm offering a mere counterpoint. In the same breath I can be responsible for saying I'm new to HM, but also why can't those other players ask if anyone is new.
I suppose that's fair, but I do 3 HM FPs a day (often 3 FE's in a row) and will soon be doing 4 with my scoundrel currently being 48. It gets tiresome asking every time.

hell, I recently got Foundry on my jugg which has been 50 for half a year and I told everyone I had forgotten the bosses and didn't know skip paths. Assessing your own weakness helps as you can then improve on it.
The Last Centurions Derpyn - Sage / Toughen - Vanguard / Bluffin - Scoundrel / Roughen - Sentinel
Filthy-rich - Juggernaut / Timberwulf - Sniper / Ironwill - Mercenary / Ahuizotl - Assassin

BiS Relics for Healers PvE/PvP

AMulls
01.11.2013 , 12:43 PM | #220
Quote: Originally Posted by Khevar View Post
Just so you know, I've been trying to be (generally) on your side of this argument, as I always feel that being friendly is much preferable to being rude, and your original story sounded like it would have gone better if people had been a bit more patient.

But you keep throwing this "elitist" term around, and it's actually starting to get on my nerves.

Respect goes both ways. In all the months I've been playing this game, I've rarely run into people who are actually elitist, as "snobbish, exclusive, superior, arrogant, selective, pretentious, stuck-up"

But it's very easy to be rude to someone else, get a rude response, then point at them and say, "You're being elitist" And conversely, it's very easy to be friendly to that same person, and get a helpful response.

I can practically guarantee that if you stop assuming that experienced and skilled players are going to be elitist and rude, you may discover that most of them actually aren't.
This, exactly.

I think most people have been trying to see your side, myself included. However, I keep seeing responses like "well, why should I have to be the one to tell people I'm new?" and "why is it my fault that you have better gear and more expensive repairs."

The more I see responses like that, the less I feel for you. And the more I get the sense that it really is all about you, and it's never ever your fault. While not exactly elitist, this attitude strikes me as quite entitled.