Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Can someone explain the Hutts to me?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Can someone explain the Hutts to me?

Eldriq's Avatar


Eldriq
01.03.2013 , 09:14 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by -IceHawk- View Post
Actually, the Hutts are one of the most powerful non-aligned groups in galactic history.
Their civilization stretches farther back than that of centralized human society, let alone the Galactic Republic. Before 15,000 BBY the Hutts owned an immense, militarized, empire.

It was the Hutts Lord Kossak and General Boonta the Hutt who opposed and defeated Xim the Despot before the foundation of the Republic. They utilized hordes of slave armies, stolen technologies, improvised munitions, etc.

It was only in the aftermath of a major Hutt Civil War in 15,000 BBY known as the Hutt Cataclysm that the species shifted towards a more concentrated system of influence peddling to avoid internecine genocide.

Hutt Space is likely the longest lasting civilized empire in the galaxy, older than the Republic, older than the Jedi Order.

Throughout history they have utilized influence peddling to maintain their neutrality.
Not even Emperor Palpatine's post-Yavin Imperial Navy considered it viable to invade Hutt space, while the Hutts themselves paid Palpatine a tribute annually that was worth something on the order of a few thousand Star Destroyers to maintain the peace.

In short, the Hutts are some of the most powerful and influential groups in galactic history.

They even re-launched a major military force to counter the Vong invasion and took part in the Second Galactic Civil War.

Do not mess with the Hutts...it's not a good idea.
Damn got your nerd on didn't you?
El'drik - Sorcerer- War Hero - Harbinger Server Care Bear/White Knight
All things are subject to interpretation whichever interpretation prevails at a given time is a function of power and not truth. Friedrich Nietzsche

DaveTJ's Avatar


DaveTJ
01.03.2013 , 10:10 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Eldriq View Post
Damn got your nerd on didn't you?
You say that like it's a bad thing...

blazeomatic's Avatar


blazeomatic
01.03.2013 , 11:20 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by ziphii View Post
I know, I should go read a book or 12. But I just don't see how they get so much power. They can't move at all. Can't fight with those little arms. Not force sensitive. OK, they are good at business, especially the cartel model of business. But still. People feared gangsters because they had power. What power do Hutts have?
Overkill augments?

jedimasterjac's Avatar


jedimasterjac
01.03.2013 , 11:22 PM | #14
How did the Cardashians become famous? Same principle.

--Your friend from Jung Ma,
Jaceiy/Laokeui.
Quote: Originally Posted by Helmut Kohl. former Chancellor of Germany
We were united not only by political respect for each other, but also by deep mutual sympathy as people.

JohnRoy's Avatar


JohnRoy
01.03.2013 , 11:27 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by ziphii View Post
I know, I should go read a book or 12. But I just don't see how they get so much power. They can't move at all. Can't fight with those little arms. Not force sensitive. OK, they are good at business, especially the cartel model of business. But still. People feared gangsters because they had power. What power do Hutts have?
People actually feared gangsters because they were killers. The power they accumulated came do to the fear they instilled. People like Al Capone, Benny Siegel, Frank Lucas, and Whitey Bolger, who the Hutts are supposed to represent in the Star Wars universe, were feared because they were able and willing to kill you, and then amassed underlings who would do the same because of that.

How did the original Hutts become feared if their whole species is fat and near immobile? It seems like any body in the whole palace in "Jedi" could have just shot Jabba and taken his place and what could he do about it? He gets strangled by a woman who's chained to HIM.

Maybe they were once agile? Can anybody address this or is this just one of those SW things we have to accept?
Watch my recent Conan appearance here:

http://thecomicscomic.com/2012/02/07...-people-songs/

TyrKartelos's Avatar


TyrKartelos
01.03.2013 , 11:37 PM | #16
They were able to enslave and/or pay species such as Weequay, Vodrans, and Nikto to do their bidding.

Fordel's Avatar


Fordel
01.03.2013 , 11:41 PM | #17
Or just use droids.

Benets's Avatar


Benets
01.04.2013 , 12:00 AM | #18
The power of the brain.
- "Do or do not, there's no try" -
Benets
aka
Mxyzptlk

TheNevet's Avatar


TheNevet
01.04.2013 , 12:34 AM | #19
Hutts aren't immobile and are surprisingly swift and agile for their size and girth. Imagine a 7 foot tall, 1500 pound bull ram charging at you.

It's only when they're very old and fat that they become slow and unable to get around (much like any species). This takes hundreds of years though, as they tend to live to about a thousand. Notable to mention that they also have incredible regenerative abilities. Limbs, internal organs, even half of a head can be regrown.
The Cheng Legacy - Level 50 | The Ebon Hawk
Nim-lo - 55 Shadow DPS | Jao-xun - 55 Guardian Tank | Vost'ryk'ereth - 50 Mercenary DPS
Mei-li - 55 Sage Healer | Lominos - 50 Commando Healer | Qing-jao - 50 Sorcerer DPS
Drenkor - 55 Sentinel DPS | Destruktus - 55 Juggernaut Tank | Gigolo - 50 Scoundrel DPS

spencer_'s Avatar


spencer_
01.04.2013 , 01:04 AM | #20
Some of the codex entries point out that young Hutts are actually pretty small, strong, agile, and quick. It is only when a Hutt reaches a certain level of power that they are safe enough to let themselves go.