Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Can someone explain the Hutts to me?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Can someone explain the Hutts to me?

ziphii
01.03.2013 , 08:19 PM | #1
I know, I should go read a book or 12. But I just don't see how they get so much power. They can't move at all. Can't fight with those little arms. Not force sensitive. OK, they are good at business, especially the cartel model of business. But still. People feared gangsters because they had power. What power do Hutts have?

Altyrell
01.03.2013 , 08:21 PM | #2
Hutts can move and they can be force sensitive

http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Hutt

DigitalDreamz
01.03.2013 , 08:28 PM | #3
I always imagined a Hutt being an absolute genius. Having the mental capabilities five times the normal human. This makes sense for their business and political decisions. Always being three to four steps ahead. Hutts more than likely got the reputation for being one of ... if not THE smartest species in the galaxy. Others realize this and choose to entrust themselves to the Hutts.

Yes their big blobs but if you're loyal they give you what you want. Working for a Hutt and finding loyalty from a Hutt gives you access to enormous wealth and power. Hutts always pay their debts as well and double crossing one is sure death.

hanhou
01.03.2013 , 08:32 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by ziphii View Post
I know, I should go read a book or 12. But I just don't see how they get so much power. They can't move at all. Can't fight with those little arms. Not force sensitive. OK, they are good at business, especially the cartel model of business. But still. People feared gangsters because they had power. What power do Hutts have?
lol, I've often wondered this myself...yes there was I think one example of a Jedi Hutt and apparently most of them are immune to Jedi mind tricks? hmm...doesn't make them blaster-proof though :P anyway, in my mind, I can only justify the position of the Hutts through 2 factors: one, they have an absurd amount of money (I mean so much that if someone were to threaten a Hutt for his money, he could just offer money to 5 other guys to murder you), and two [minor reason]: they have good strategy/business sense (more than their lackeys at least)--picture the less-than-athletic mafia bosses you see in movies...they're obviously not the best warriors in their group

that being said, this game makes a pretty good case for your character being able to threaten them and make them do the "hands up!" thing lol
"The Force is what gives a Jedi his power. It's an energy field created by all living things. It surrounds us, penetrates us, and binds the galaxy together."
―Obi-Wan Kenobi

Wolfninjajedi
01.03.2013 , 08:32 PM | #5
They have the power of having a powerful underworld syndicate. Credits talk, and they have a lot of them though they aren't the most powerful underworld syndicate that is the Black Sun.
"There is one lesson you've yet to learn. How to become one with the Force!"
―Cin Drallig to Darth Vader

Maucs the Tauntaun King, former SWG player.

Fordel
01.03.2013 , 08:47 PM | #6
The key thing with hutts is they live a long time. A really long time. They can measure their life span in centuries.

That really changes how and why you make investments and how you view non-hutt 'allies'.

-IceHawk-
01.03.2013 , 08:49 PM | #7
Actually, the Hutts are one of the most powerful non-aligned groups in galactic history.
Their civilization stretches farther back than that of centralized human society, let alone the Galactic Republic. Before 15,000 BBY the Hutts owned an immense, militarized, empire.

It was the Hutts Lord Kossak and General Boonta the Hutt who opposed and defeated Xim the Despot before the foundation of the Republic. They utilized hordes of slave armies, stolen technologies, improvised munitions, etc.

It was only in the aftermath of a major Hutt Civil War in 15,000 BBY known as the Hutt Cataclysm that the species shifted towards a more concentrated system of influence peddling to avoid internecine genocide.

Hutt Space is likely the longest lasting civilized empire in the galaxy, older than the Republic, older than the Jedi Order.

Throughout history they have utilized influence peddling to maintain their neutrality.
Not even Emperor Palpatine's post-Yavin Imperial Navy considered it viable to invade Hutt space, while the Hutts themselves paid Palpatine a tribute annually that was worth something on the order of a few thousand Star Destroyers to maintain the peace.

In short, the Hutts are some of the most powerful and influential groups in galactic history.

They even re-launched a major military force to counter the Vong invasion and took part in the Second Galactic Civil War.

Do not mess with the Hutts...it's not a good idea.

Skoobie
01.03.2013 , 08:51 PM | #8
They have great taste in slave dancers and wall decorations.

AshlaBoga
01.03.2013 , 08:56 PM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by -IceHawk- View Post
Actually, the Hutts are one of the most powerful non-aligned groups in galactic history.
Their civilization stretches farther back than that of centralized human society, let alone the Galactic Republic. Before 15,000 BBY the Hutts owned an immense, militarized, empire.

It was the Hutts Lord Kossak and General Boonta the Hutt who opposed and defeated Xim the Despot before the foundation of the Republic. They utilized hordes of slave armies, stolen technologies, improvised munitions, etc.

It was only in the aftermath of a major Hutt Civil War in 15,000 BBY known as the Hutt Cataclysm that the species shifted towards a more concentrated system of influence peddling to avoid internecine genocide.

Hutt Space is likely the longest lasting civilized empire in the galaxy, older than the Republic, older than the Jedi Order.

Throughout history they have utilized influence peddling to maintain their neutrality.
Not even Emperor Palpatine's post-Yavin Imperial Navy considered it viable to invade Hutt space, while the Hutts themselves paid Palpatine a tribute annually that was worth something on the order of a few thousand Star Destroyers to maintain the peace.

In short, the Hutts are some of the most powerful and influential groups in galactic history.

They even re-launched a major military force to counter the Vong invasion and took part in the Second Galactic Civil War.

Do not mess with the Hutts...it's not a good idea.
Yeah, they've got a record of outsmarting their enemies.

Moreover, even a "mere" crimelord is dangerous irl. There are countries where drug lords/arms dealers have taken over and declared themselves kings. So it's not surprising that in the Star Wars galaxy Hutts control entire solar systems.
The dark is generous, and it is patient, and it always wins.
It always wins because it is everywhere.
The brightest light casts the darkest shadow.
Click my Referral Code for free goodies!

sstanks
01.03.2013 , 08:56 PM | #10
all you need to know about Hutts power

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WBtNzTVmB0A