Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Will there ever be sandbox things ?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Will there ever be sandbox things ?

chubbywan
01.03.2013 , 04:26 PM | #1
Seems like other games have more sandbox style game play. I realize this game is a theme park but do you feel there will ever be any sandbox elements?
More gameplay footage please..............................

Lent_San
01.03.2013 , 04:32 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by chubbywan View Post
Seems like other games have more sandbox style game play. I realize this game is a theme park but do you feel there will ever be any sandbox elements?
I sure hope there'll be sandbox elements in the future. I don't really like the whole theme park thingy, but it' s where we're at now.

gingeee
01.03.2013 , 04:34 PM | #3
IMO it is exactly like a sandbox game
I like π, 3.141592653589793238462643383279502884197169399375 1 5820974944 59230781640628620899862803482534211 70679, and 11.00100100001111

Gavin_Kelvar
01.03.2013 , 04:34 PM | #4
It sounded to me with the State of the Game blog that they at least intend to put things in to bring level 50s back to planets they visited at earlier levels. So I would guess they'll do something to make it more sandboxy. But I doubt it will ever be completely off the rails (read not another Daily area for level 50s) unless they come up with some dynamic quest mechanic to encourage revisiting previously explored areas. You can only beat up respawning trash mobs so many times without purpose before it gets old.

Eurynamous
01.03.2013 , 04:36 PM | #5
Tatooine has a nice big empty desert... Jokes aside.

What elements of sandbox gameplay do you think would fit in the current model of this game? Saying you want sandbox gameplay is nice, but you're not defining it at all.
The Red Zone
Amadus Starcrusher
I will take your light, force you into darkness and give you true freedom and power

chubbywan
01.03.2013 , 04:45 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Eurynamous View Post
Tatooine has a nice big empty desert... Jokes aside.

What elements of sandbox gameplay do you think would fit in the current model of this game? Saying you want sandbox gameplay is nice, but you're not defining it at all.
Yes I am going here,,,,, galaxies, I wish it felt more user created. Player housing. Player events. More customization of. Features. I feel it's a go to point A now B etc. Even the map gives you a line to follow.

chubbywan
01.03.2013 , 04:46 PM | #7
The game just feels stuffy and congested

Lent_San
01.03.2013 , 04:51 PM | #8
The game just feels stuffy and congested
That's true. For some reason it always feels like you're in a room somewhere, not out in the open, even if you are. Creating new planets more sandbox style would be awesome. In that case, I would't even need the old ones overhauled.

Altyrell
01.03.2013 , 05:11 PM | #9
Yes I am going here,,,,, galaxies, I wish it felt more user created. Player housing. Player events. More customization of. Features. I feel it's a go to point A now B etc. Even the map gives you a line to follow.
I honestly hope that TOR doesn't get the same EXACT Player Housing System that SWG use to use because I'd rather not crash into abandon houses and stuff. The ONLY aspect of the Player Housing System that SWG use to use and that EQ 2 uses, are the ability to drop and move objects around our place of residence. And on that point, I'd rather they allow us to do that only to our Class Ships and to the Capital Ships if/when we get those and not allow us to place Houses down on the Worlds especially when they aren't built that way.

IF we were to ever get World Side Housing, then I would want them to be instanced similar to that of EQ 2. That and I would love if the WSH's were more Class Specific, so a Trooper buying a place would be more Bunker-esk and give off the Militarized Experience whereas a Smuggler's Place would be more extravagant in looking more like a lounge or something with hidden compartments (similar to their Ship)

The Imperial Agent's place which would show that they have everything all neat and clean on the first glance but when you inspect it more thoroughly you'd come across things from secret wall safes to hidden rooms where they would keep things from sensitive documents to easily concealed weapons to things that would be needed on covert missions. The Bounty Hunter's pad would be the equivalent of a hardcore Hunting Lodge with Mounted Animals to "Bounties" encased in Carbonite.

The Jedi Knight & Sith Warrior's respective places would be more Training oriented where they hone their lightsaber skills versus the Jedi Consular and Sith Inquisitor's whose places would be more built to handle their Meditations and Force Abilities. So a Sith Inquisitor's place would be able to withstand the Lightning strikes while the Consular's place would have unbreakable stuff that they'd use to levitate and whatnot. The major difference between the Jedi and Sith's places aesthetically would be the Jedi place would look similar to that of what you'd see in Jedi Temples whereas the Sith's place would be more darker.

chubbywan
01.03.2013 , 05:21 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Altyrell View Post
I honestly hope that TOR doesn't get the same EXACT Player Housing System that SWG use to use because I'd rather not crash into abandon houses and stuff. The ONLY aspect of the Player Housing System that SWG use to use and that EQ 2 uses, are the ability to drop and move objects around our place of residence. And on that point, I'd rather they allow us to do that only to our Class Ships and to the Capital Ships if/when we get those and not allow us to place Houses down on the Worlds especially when they aren't built that way.

IF we were to ever get World Side Housing, then I would want them to be instanced similar to that of EQ 2. That and I would love if the WSH's were more Class Specific, so a Trooper buying a place would be more Bunker-esk and give off the Militarized Experience whereas a Smuggler's Place would be more extravagant in looking more like a lounge or something with hidden compartments (similar to their Ship)

The Imperial Agent's place which would show that they have everything all neat and clean on the first glance but when you inspect it more thoroughly you'd come across things from secret wall safes to hidden rooms where they would keep things from sensitive documents to easily concealed weapons to things that would be needed on covert missions. The Bounty Hunter's pad would be the equivalent of a hardcore Hunting Lodge with Mounted Animals to "Bounties" encased in Carbonite.

The Jedi Knight & Sith Warrior's respective places would be more Training oriented where they hone their lightsaber skills versus the Jedi Consular and Sith Inquisitor's whose places would be more built to handle their Meditations and Force Abilities. So a Sith Inquisitor's place would be able to withstand the Lightning strikes while the Consular's place would have unbreakable stuff that they'd use to levitate and whatnot. The major difference between the Jedi and Sith's places aesthetically would be the Jedi place would look similar to that of what you'd see in Jedi Temples whereas the Sith's place would be more darker.
Sounds awesome