Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

I do not agree with the inclusion of SGRs.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion > Suggestion Box
I do not agree with the inclusion of SGRs.
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Revanchis
01.16.2013 , 04:15 PM | #501
Hopefully there's more than one NPC for SGRs for each gender. Like 4 at least.

Tattari
01.16.2013 , 04:56 PM | #502
Quote: Originally Posted by markcymru View Post
According to BW this won't happen (it's considered discriminatory, and I agree with BW)

This is a very thoughtful post, from a player who, like many of us pro-SGRers , values other aspects as well as romance. Thank you!
I don't see how it's discriminatory. It'd be each individual players preference. It allows those who hate it to turn it off while those who do can keep it on.

and before anyone says it only targets SGR, well, you CAN ignore and not initiate even the OGR in the game.

It's all in the preferences of each individual player.

My hunter isn't gonna romance Torian cause I see her as totally head over heels for Gault, while my Smuggler is not romancing Corso because she's a) in love with Darmas, and b) given the chance, would climb Risha like a tree.

markcymru
01.16.2013 , 05:22 PM | #503
Quote: Originally Posted by Tattari View Post
I don't see how it's discriminatory. It'd be each individual players preference. It allows those who hate it to turn it off while those who do can keep it on.
A switch with 4 settings (all romances on, SGRs on, OGRs on, no romances on) would not be discriminatory, because it treats all players and all types of romances equally.

A toggle that was exclusively for switching SGRs on or off would be discriminatory. To understand why, imagine the reverse: SGRs always on, but a toggle that would allow OGRs to be switched on and off.

Quote: Originally Posted by Tattari View Post
and before anyone says it only targets SGR, well, you CAN ignore and not initiate even the OGR in the game.
Likewise, players who dislike SGRs CAN ignore and not initiate SGRs... so a toggle for SGRs is unnecessary.
“The comments on any article about feminism justify feminism.” — Lewis's Law

Allronix
01.16.2013 , 05:24 PM | #504
Quote: Originally Posted by markcymru View Post
According to BW this won't happen (it's considered discriminatory, and I agree with BW)
Yeah, I personally agree with Bioware on this. I also know that a switch to toggle same-gender romances on or off has been an open secret among players of EA's The Sims since at least the second game. I think EA went with the compromise route because they were controversy-adverse with a property that amounted to virtual dollhouses.

Quote:
This is a very thoughtful post, from a player who, like many of us pro-SGRers , values other aspects as well as romance. Thank you!
I'm a story nut and a 100% completion nut. Only reason I bothered with this in the first place (had no interest in MMOs before this) was because "Oh! BIOWARE is writing!" Their writing style is superb, and their characters are the reason I keep coming back. My first exposure to them was listening to Minsc's dialogue and laughing so hard I was sore the next day. Continue onto KOTOR, where I wished the game engine allowed you to give Juhani a hug. Or Jade Empire where I was telling Ya Zhen to pack his %$%#$ bags and quit bothering that little girl.

Sure, I've now become entrenched (and somehow ended up as second-in-charge of a 70 person guild), and been learning aspects like Operations and PvP, but it's the story and the absolutely GORGEOUS Scenery that keeps me coming back (ok, so Alderaan takes forever to load, it's an opportunity to get a beer from the fridge or take a bathroom break while it's processing).

Any development on the story and companions, I would savor like good chocolate (you don't gobble the good stuff, after all). I see a same-gender romance option (Yeah, I think I'll like Mako or Risha. Or a male Consular hitting on Tharan could incur some riotously funny moments out of Holiday) as no different than an expansion to their quests (oh, how I miss a good loyalty mission!), or new bonuses/abilities to unlock on them or them on you (because you learn so many things from the people in your life). It's just another way to approach the story, another quest to try, more content to explore.

The game is rated Teen, and the Bounty Hunter story has the madam of an S&M brothel as a sidequest, Doc has a ticked-off ex in every port, a Sith Warrior can rape one of their companions. The Warrior and Inquisitor have matches made in Stockholm with Jaesa and Ashara. The male Jedi romances are also VERY unequal pairings (they're your Padawans!) Given this? A gay relationship is small potatoes and (depending on who becomes a gay option) might have fewer unfortunate implications than the heterosexual ones!
Alylia Terel of Bergen Colony
Offering Assistance to Friends of the Republic. World Bosses, Imperials, and Sith defeated. Datacrons procured and worlds explored.

markcymru
01.16.2013 , 05:41 PM | #505
Quote: Originally Posted by Allronix View Post
I'm a story nut and a 100% completion nut. Only reason I bothered with this in the first place (had no interest in MMOs before this) was because "Oh! BIOWARE is writing!" Their writing style is superb, and their characters are the reason I keep coming back.
<< >>
Minsc.....
Juhani........
Ya Zhen.....
<< >>

... but it's the story and the absolutely GORGEOUS Scenery that keeps me coming back (ok, so Alderaan takes forever to load, it's an opportunity to get a beer from the fridge or take a bathroom break while it's processing).
I'm with you. My own memories are of Isabella in DA [*swoon*, *toes curl*]. People disparage romances as fluff, but even though 'it's only a game' I felt a great deal of affection and involvement with Isabella that truly deepened my experience... much like the emotional impact a beloved character in a well-written novel has [ I'm currently reading A Memory of Light, and I'm almost dreading each turn of the page because of my emotional entanglement with so many of the characters ]. I loved Varric too, although not as a romantic partner, of course.

The game is rated Teen, and the Bounty Hunter story has the madam of an S&M brothel as a sidequest, Doc has a ticked-off ex in every port, a Sith Warrior can rape one of their companions. The Warrior and Inquisitor have matches made in Stockholm with Jaesa and Ashara. The male Jedi romances are also VERY unequal pairings (they're your Padawans!) Given this? A gay relationship is small potatoes and (depending on who becomes a gay option) might have fewer unfortunate implications than the heterosexual ones!
A good point... completely missed, of course, by those who argue "SGRs? What about the kids ! !"
“The comments on any article about feminism justify feminism.” — Lewis's Law

QwibQwib
01.16.2013 , 06:57 PM | #506
The Warrior and Inquisitor have matches made in Stockholm with Jaesa and Ashara. The male Jedi romances are also VERY unequal pairings (they're your Padawans!) Given this? A gay relationship is small potatoes and (depending on who becomes a gay option) might have fewer unfortunate implications than the heterosexual ones!
Not only do the male Force-using classes have romances with their padawans/apprentices, said apprentices are only female. There's what, only one male force-using companion across all the classes, and is unromanceable? As opposed to four females, all of whom are romanceable. There are unfortunate implications all around.
"Amor omnibus idem" - "Love is the same for all"

DAWUSS
01.16.2013 , 07:24 PM | #507
We have inter-species romances in Star Wars FCOL - same gender romances should be small chippings.

Comfterbilly
01.16.2013 , 09:14 PM | #508
Quote: Originally Posted by greatgeek View Post
"Others were more strongly unified against same sex relationships than the rebel alliance."

Yeah....no.
SGRs, Rebel Alliance, what's the difference?
A man is only as strong as the computer he plays Huttball on...

***Sign the Solo-Only que for Warzone PVP.***
***Pug Vs. Premade: Vicious Verbal Jousting.***

Insidion
01.16.2013 , 11:23 PM | #509
Quote: Originally Posted by TheBBP View Post
Not sure what else I should type here to stay within the rules other than I suggest that other needs be prioritized ahead of SGRs.
Luckily for the rest of us, your opinion is no more valid than any other. I fully support SGR's in SWTOR, as does the lore.

HKtheindomitable
01.17.2013 , 01:30 PM | #510
Opinion: An option. It needs to be an optional download. That way those who want it can have it, and those who don't, don't.

Statement: It's fair. All sides are happy. The end.
PAX REPUBLICA
SWTOR Thread Guild Website
Casual PVP with Hardcore Determination
Pot5/Ebon Hawk | Justicar | International Guild