Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

I do not agree with the inclusion of SGRs.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion > Suggestion Box
I do not agree with the inclusion of SGRs.
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Lium's Avatar


Lium
01.03.2013 , 12:30 PM | #31
Quote: Originally Posted by theUndead View Post
Also you made a point about it being "black and white and apolitical" and again I disagree with this. See in both factions there are always elements of politics. Take the Republic it strives for Democracy with the senate and each system having its own laws and how each world is autonomous etc. Then take the Empire, it is a system which is very near autocratic with its harsh slavery policies and how the Sith rule without question or recourse.
Right. And that's pretty black and white and apolitical. You essentially have your good guys in white hats (the Galactic Republic with freedom and democracy) and your bad guys in black hats (the Sith Empire with absolutism). Sure, individual characters can tread a more neutral ground or disagree entirely with their own faction, but in general, things in Star Wars are straightforward.

Again, this doesn't mean I'm against SGRs. I'm not. As I said it doesn't bother me in the least. But I just think the setting has to fit, otherwise it will feel forced (no pun intended), tacked on and awkward.

This includes straight romances, too. Think about it. Compare the romances in KOTOR to the ones in Mass Effect. In KOTOR it was very much cheesy (Bastila: "Kiss me you fool.") while in Mass Effect it was totally hot. (Miranda climbing on top of you in engineering while undressing.) It's because one is Star Wars and the other is Mass Effect. One is rated T for teens, while the other is M for mature.

That's the difference.

Lium's Avatar


Lium
01.03.2013 , 12:41 PM | #32
Quote: Originally Posted by RikHar View Post
Stop and think. Forget what you want or what others are saying, just for a second.

Bioware has already stated that including this will take long hours and resources. It's not something to be done overnight. So therefore, you want Bioware to spend valuable long hours, man-power and resources and who knows what else, just for a few lines of unimportant romance which will mean nothing in the long run or in the scope of things?

It's not like it was another MMO where you can have roleplaying romances, weddings, houses to live in and friends to come and participate in your romantic events. There, it's with real people you're involved with because it's a game about life. Here, it's with an NPC with its dialogue already written out. No one can see it, but you. And it's over with in a few seconds. Just like that and poof! It ends.

For something so trivial you want BioWare to take away from other far more important things they should be working on? Seriously, for a fleeing few seconds of romance which contributes nothing to the game or yourself because soon as it's over, it's over.

It's more important for Bioware to address important issues that game has at the moment. Things like the many bugs around. Right now you can't do the {Weekly} at Section X due to a bugged quest as well as many other things the game needs. Things like this far outweight trivial stuff like a meaningless 5 second romance.

To me, it just sounds like some people want it just to say they forced the game to add it. And not for any benefit other then this, because there is none.
Gotta say, I agree with this. But not just with SGRs. All RP and fluff stuff. I feel like there are much bigger and more immediate concerns to the game that need fixing.

theUndead's Avatar


theUndead
01.03.2013 , 12:44 PM | #33
Quote: Originally Posted by Lium View Post
Right. And that's pretty black and white and apolitical. You essentially have your good guys in white hats (the Galactic Republic with freedom and democracy) and your bad guys in black hats (the Sith Empire with absolutism). Sure, individual characters can tread a more neutral ground or disagree entirely with their own faction, but in general, things in Star Wars are straightforward.

Again, this doesn't mean I'm against SGRs. I'm not. As I said it doesn't bother me in the least. But I just think the setting has to fit, otherwise it will feel forced (no pun intended), tacked on and awkward.

This includes straight romances, too. Think about it. Compare the romances in KOTOR to the ones in Mass Effect. In KOTOR it was very much cheesy (Bastila: "Kiss me you fool.") while in Mass Effect it was totally hot. (Miranda climbing on top of you in engineering while undressing.) It's because one is Star Wars and the other is Mass Effect. One is rated T for teens, while the other is M for mature.

That's the difference.
I know your not against it that is not in dispute. But again it is not as straight forward to say that the Empire is one sided or the Republic is one sided as there are many facets that make up those societies. Also your comparison on romances and maturity between those various games does not invalidate what I said about the level of maturity in THIS game.

Wether the romances are cheesy or more erotic or even suggestive the fact remains that those adult themes are still very much present in this game. Also comparing the rating system does not make a difference because young kids would still play M rated games or games rated T. Yes in Star Wars it may be less in your face and in Mass Effect it is very much in the face but just because it is less visible or the rating is different does not mean it is not there.
The Hellion Legacy (Harbinger)
Referal Link
For free stuff and coins including a one time character transfer.
"The best weapon against an enemy is another enemy." Friedrich Nietzsche

Master-Nala's Avatar


Master-Nala
01.03.2013 , 12:48 PM | #34
Quote: Originally Posted by Lium View Post
Gotta say, I agree with this. But not just with SGRs. All RP and fluff stuff. I feel like there are much bigger and more immediate concerns to the game that need fixing.
There is at least ten things I want before they add SGR. Some of these things might cause me to stop playing if they go on long enough. But the priority argument is bunk and everyone knows it.

1) They are already in process of adding this content. Stopping it now would just tick off another group of posters.

2) We all have our pet issues. A lot of people here talk about Pazaak. I genuinely could not care less if they add this. I don't play MMOs to play card games. If I wanted to play card games I'll buy a deck of cards. BUT, if they decided to add Pazaak, I'm not going to claim that my pet issues were more worthy. Because there are plenty of people asking (God knows why) for Pazaak.

3) The devs have a right to choose their own priorities. At some point, the devs have to make the game that they want to make. I think trying to focus group develop the game is half its problem. Listening to players is absolutely important, but when players are often contradictory in what they want, the developers need to decide what kind of game they want and go from there.
Republic Level 55s - Alana, Rickta, Nal'aa, Alan, Myschal, Sinbad, Frank'lin, Angiola, Vesnas, Nightsail, Mioni & Hard-Top
Imp Level 55s - Palatine, Ztephanie, Frank-lin, Ka'Mate, Chisami, Azureraven, Curiosi-dux, Vodoun, Thofia

theUndead's Avatar


theUndead
01.03.2013 , 12:49 PM | #35
Quote: Originally Posted by Lium View Post
Gotta say, I agree with this. But not just with SGRs. All RP and fluff stuff. I feel like there are much bigger and more immediate concerns to the game that need fixing.
I'm sorry but no you simply cannot have a MMO without fluff or RP. To many players it is how they explore and engage with the world and fluff is just little things that make life in the game interesting and these are absolutely needed. Yes I know things need to be fixed but you are suggesting they take away valuable things that people actually enjoy.
The Hellion Legacy (Harbinger)
Referal Link
For free stuff and coins including a one time character transfer.
"The best weapon against an enemy is another enemy." Friedrich Nietzsche

chuixupu's Avatar


chuixupu
01.03.2013 , 01:08 PM | #36
Quote: Originally Posted by RikHar View Post
Bioware has already stated that including this will take long hours and resources. It's not something to be done overnight. So therefore, you want Bioware to spend valuable long hours, man-power and resources and who knows what else, just for a few lines of unimportant romance which will mean nothing in the long run or in the scope of things?
I think you're exaggerating a bit. They said that altering existing companion dialogue is complicated, hence they have put all forms of companion expansion on hold. Makeb as a story addition has been in the works since the game launched and has been talked about since last spring. You might not be into the story/romance arcs in this game, but it is something that Bioware does, and plans to keep doing for this game. It's only fair that they include the ability for SGR in their romances, which they have put in, and will continue to put in, because a lot of people do in fact play the game because it has this kind of content.
Wardens of Fate / Alea Iacta Est
The Tarkus Legacy ~ The Harbinger/Jedi Covenant

Lium's Avatar


Lium
01.03.2013 , 01:13 PM | #37
Quote: Originally Posted by theUndead View Post
I'm sorry but no you simply cannot have a MMO without fluff or RP. To many players it is how they explore and engage with the world and fluff is just little things that make life in the game interesting and these are absolutely needed. Yes I know things need to be fixed but you are suggesting they take away valuable things that people actually enjoy.
I never said they shouldn't be added. I agree they are important. I'm saying their are more gameplay issues that need to be fixed/addressed first, THEN they should add the fluff.

darhsteel's Avatar


darhsteel
01.03.2013 , 01:22 PM | #38
Quote: Originally Posted by TheBBP View Post
Not sure what else I should type here to stay within the rules other than I suggest that other needs be prioritized ahead of SGRs.
I agree to the point where I want to scream. SGR? really? BW would rather focus on homoerotic cutscenes than a new warzone or world event??really?????

Alec_Fortescue's Avatar


Alec_Fortescue
01.03.2013 , 01:34 PM | #39
Quote: Originally Posted by Marmerus View Post
SGR should be included. I can't see any reason why it was not included before the release besides lack of funding / money and time.

Now that SWTOR is doing so well and has millions of subscribers and is currently killing WoW they should be able to afford to record a couple of dialogues to make this happen.
I am sorry, what? Where can I see those numbers?
*Best Dressed Jedi of 2014* http://mmo-fashion.com/tor-fashion-contest-results/

Almost 3 years old and there are still no iconic / classic / traditional / prequel-style (pick any!) Jedi robes in the game! How come?

Also how about letting players wear the robes that are already in the game but not accessible to them?

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=720547 - Cool compilation of Jedi outfits worn by NPCs.

Don't let your artists' work go to waste, Bioware

chuixupu's Avatar


chuixupu
01.03.2013 , 01:36 PM | #40
At what point would people be satisfied that they have "enough" pvp content, or whichever content, that they would say "OK, I'm happy, you can add the content that I'm not interested in now"? Honestly, probably never. They've added two warzones within the first year of this game. SGR was promised pre-launch, and it's not even in the game yet. In fact, they did say that they bumped up PVP and Operation content above story content in release priority. This is a fact.

Also, remember: there are different teams working on different kinds of content. They don't pull people from one department into another.
Wardens of Fate / Alea Iacta Est
The Tarkus Legacy ~ The Harbinger/Jedi Covenant