Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

I do not agree with the inclusion of SGRs.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion > Suggestion Box
I do not agree with the inclusion of SGRs.
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

Telaan's Avatar


Telaan
01.10.2013 , 09:08 AM | #351
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthZak View Post
Yes. Its not only their "thing" but its also a major selling point and the exclusion of SGR's gives BioWare a bad name since people are expecting it
But besides that yes I think its an important part of the story
This may be true for you but unfortunately it's just not the case.

What's objective is that none of the romance arcs are important to anything. Additionally, it's never been a major selling point. Has BW stated that SGRA would be a post launch addition? Yes. Have they stated when or how they would be implemented? No.

The things that are a major selling point of this game are Star Wars and MMO. BW needs to focus on those two things before worry about something that isn't repeatable, has no impact on the outcome of either your personal story or the uber plot, and caters to a small minority of players.
Kype Lightwave/Telaan Lightwave -Pot5- "Pistols' RP Apprentice"
Telaan Lightwave Pre-CU Jedi Knight -JKO- Bloodfin
Master LS/Master Defender/Healing 2xxx/Enhancer xxx3

Altyrell's Avatar


Altyrell
01.10.2013 , 09:12 AM | #352
Quote: Originally Posted by Telaan View Post
has no impact on the outcome of either your personal story or the uber plot, and caters to a small minority of players.
And just how do you know that the SGR NPC's on Makeb won't be like or end up like Jaxo was to Male Troopers? The fact is, is that at this point, you really have no idea if they will be or not.

Telaan's Avatar


Telaan
01.10.2013 , 09:47 AM | #353
Quote: Originally Posted by Altyrell View Post
And just how do you know that the SGR NPC's on Makeb won't be like or end up like Jaxo was to Male Troopers? The fact is, is that at this point, you really have no idea if they will be or not.
Firstly Jaxo is not a companion. Secondly, BW can create sweeping character stories without including romance arcs of any kind so that the story is compelling and yet no resources of any kind are devoted to it. For the foreseeable future romance should be left to roleplay and the legacy system.
Kype Lightwave/Telaan Lightwave -Pot5- "Pistols' RP Apprentice"
Telaan Lightwave Pre-CU Jedi Knight -JKO- Bloodfin
Master LS/Master Defender/Healing 2xxx/Enhancer xxx3

Altyrell's Avatar


Altyrell
01.10.2013 , 09:53 AM | #354
Quote: Originally Posted by Telaan View Post
Firstly Jaxo is not a companion. Secondly, BW can sweeping character stories without including romance arcs of any kind so that the story is compelling and yet no resources of any kind are devoted to it. For the foreseeable future romance should be left to roleplay and the legacy system.
No where did I say that Jaxo was a Companion, but that she was a truly Romancable NPC.

Spoiler


However, BioWare has become known for INCLUDING Romances INTO their Stories. So uh, yeah. While they could do that, they've become known for including it. Romances between Players can lead to Real Life problems [see TBBT Episode involving WoW & their "encounters"] whereas Romances between NPC's/Companions won't lead to the same potential Real Life Issues. And thankfully BioWare doesn't agree with your "theory" of Relationships remaining through RP with other Players and the Legacy System. Also, Romances W/ NPC's & Companions were in the game longer then the Legacy System and Roley Playing Player Romances can STILL be done in the Game and don't require anything from BioWare.

Telaan's Avatar


Telaan
01.10.2013 , 10:05 AM | #355
Quote: Originally Posted by Altyrell View Post
No where did I say that Jaxo was a Companion, but that she was a truly Romancable NPC.

Spoiler


However, BioWare has become known for INCLUDING Romances INTO their Stories. So uh, yeah. While they could do that, they've become known for including it. Romances between Players can lead to Real Life problems [see TBBT Episode involving WoW & their "encounters"] whereas Romances between NPC's/Companions won't lead to the same potential Real Life Issues. And thankfully BioWare doesn't agree with your "theory" of Relationships remaining through RP with other Players and the Legacy System. Also, Romances W/ NPC's & Companions were in the game longer then the Legacy System and Roley Playing Player Romances can STILL be done in the Game and don't require anything from BioWare.
BW has also become known for making a poor MMO for several reasons. BW's priority should be establishing a solid MMO that attracts new players and keeps current ones. This is currently not happening at the level a Star Wars IP should.

However, that bit about creating real life problems is inconsequential to the issue at hand. It's all fine and dandy that romances were ingame prior to the legacy system. But again, this game went from WoW killer to F2P in a year. I cannot stress priorities enough. I'm not advocating the removal of existing romances or the complete blockage of it forever, only for the foreseeable future.

The difference between you and me is: you say it has to be now, and I say it should be done later.
Kype Lightwave/Telaan Lightwave -Pot5- "Pistols' RP Apprentice"
Telaan Lightwave Pre-CU Jedi Knight -JKO- Bloodfin
Master LS/Master Defender/Healing 2xxx/Enhancer xxx3

DarthZak's Avatar


DarthZak
01.10.2013 , 11:04 AM | #356
Quote: Originally Posted by Telaan View Post
This may be true for you but unfortunately it's just not the case.

What's objective is that none of the romance arcs are important to anything. Additionally, it's never been a major selling point. Has BW stated that SGRA would be a post launch addition? Yes. Have they stated when or how they would be implemented? No.

The things that are a major selling point of this game are Star Wars and MMO. BW needs to focus on those two things before worry about something that isn't repeatable, has no impact on the outcome of either your personal story or the uber plot, and caters to a small minority of players.
Arent important? Thats purely from your point of view. You might as well say its not important whether you choose Dark Side or Light Side. People give value to their in-game romances and thus it is important.
Major selling point? No. I didnt mean it was, I meant to say it was something that's expected from BioWare since they revolutionized the gaming industry by doing it so well. And in Mass Effect/Dragon Age is actually was a selling point since it was used in their marketing.
Did BioWare say they'd make more Ops post-launch? Yes. Did they say when and how? No.
Your argument doesnt hold up
The Peacecraft Legacy
Elycia , Mariemaia , Minagoroshi

Telaan's Avatar


Telaan
01.10.2013 , 11:32 AM | #357
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthZak View Post
Arent important? Thats purely from your point of view. You might as well say its not important whether you choose Dark Side or Light Side. People give value to their in-game romances and thus it is important.
Major selling point? No. I didnt mean it was, I meant to say it was something that's expected from BioWare since they revolutionized the gaming industry by doing it so well. And in Mass Effect/Dragon Age is actually was a selling point since it was used in their marketing.
Did BioWare say they'd make more Ops post-launch? Yes. Did they say when and how? No.
Your argument doesnt hold up
Except side story romance arcs aren't the foundation of the game. You're trying to argue apples and watermelons, as one massively outweighs the other and aren't remotely similar to one another.

There are key mechanics and features missing that are required to attract new players and keep existing ones to an MMO. Until those issues are addressed SGRA or romance arcs of any kid should be shelved....not abandoned...shelved.
Kype Lightwave/Telaan Lightwave -Pot5- "Pistols' RP Apprentice"
Telaan Lightwave Pre-CU Jedi Knight -JKO- Bloodfin
Master LS/Master Defender/Healing 2xxx/Enhancer xxx3

Lent_San's Avatar


Lent_San
01.10.2013 , 11:35 AM | #358
Quote: Originally Posted by DarthZak View Post
Arent important? Thats purely from your point of view. You might as well say its not important whether you choose Dark Side or Light Side. People give value to their in-game romances and thus it is important.
True.

JacenHallis's Avatar


JacenHallis
01.10.2013 , 05:38 PM | #359
Quote: Originally Posted by Telaan View Post
The fact that you personally interpret his title to mean one thing does not make it true. He clearly defines his position in both his original post and all subsequent posts.

Additionally, SGRA should continue to take a backseat until content and mechanics which draw both Star Wars fans and MMO players have been sufficiently developed and introduced.
I'm not "personally interpreting" his title to mean anything. I simply stated what it says.

I do not understand the argument you're making in your second paragraph. You want "content and mechanics which draw both Star Wars fans and MMO players" before SGRA. Let's clear up the confusion in that SGRA is not something special. It's not like putting in a new flashpoint, operation or warzone. SGRA is simply story. Story is being put in. Some of that story will appeal to those who enjoy same-sex romance. That is it. So, the argument you're making is that you want more content, but you want content to take a backseat.

See, I am a Star Wars fan, and I am an MMO player. I've been playing them since 1999. And I want more story. I want that content. And I'm hardly alone in that. People who want new flashpoints, operations and warzones have been given new things throughout the past year. It's time to put more story in the game. And, if same-sex romance is a part of that, all the better.
Ruminara Ven
Passion, yet serenity.

Pvtcarnage's Avatar


Pvtcarnage
01.10.2013 , 05:43 PM | #360
Quote: Originally Posted by Telaan View Post
Except side story romance arcs aren't the foundation of the game. You're trying to argue apples and watermelons, as one massively outweighs the other and aren't remotely similar to one another.

There are key mechanics and features missing that are required to attract new players and keep existing ones to an MMO. Until those issues are addressed SGRA or romance arcs of any kid should be shelved....not abandoned...shelved.
I agree except I would say abandoned....Just seems really sad when people need any kind of romance "text" in a game......... besides the internet provides for all flavor of "tastes" 24/7 if you need your "fix".
"Equality is a perversion of the natural order!…It binds the strong to the weak. They [the weak] become anchors that drag the exceptional down to mediocrity. Individuals destined and deserving of greatness have it denied them.
-Darth Bane