Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

I do not agree with the inclusion of SGRs.

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion > Suggestion Box
I do not agree with the inclusion of SGRs.
First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

TheBBP's Avatar


TheBBP
01.07.2013 , 02:13 AM | #211
Quote: Originally Posted by irishfino View Post
SGR is presented in the story of Makeb. It's part of the story update. It's not a mini-game with rules, it's story content. Leaving story content out of a story content update would be rather silly, wouldn't it?

Pazaak, Sabaac, HoloChess, Swoop Racing: these are all mini-games that have nothing to do with a story update. BW has said they are working on it, but there's no time table presented. Open World PvP: being worked on. All these things are being worked on.

I'm not sure where people are getting the idea that these things were shelved in place of SGR.

Not to mention that everything that will be in Makeb hasn't been released yet because it's still in development.
I have to disagree. There are a BUNCH of standard MMO features that this game is missing that if implemented, could go a long way to improving this game for the vast majority of the playerbase rather than adding SGRs for a small amount of the playerbase.

Again, I am not saying that SGRs do not belong in the game, but there are MANY other things that should have taken priority.
Crosswire - Republic Commando / Balloch - Bounty Hunter
Co-Leader of WotM/ALitD Family/Christian Guilds
Site : Recruitment Thread
The Ebon Hawk

Tattari's Avatar


Tattari
01.07.2013 , 02:49 AM | #212
Quote: Originally Posted by TheBBP View Post
I have to disagree. There are a BUNCH of standard MMO features that this game is missing that if implemented, could go a long way to improving this game for the vast majority of the playerbase rather than adding SGRs for a small amount of the playerbase.

Again, I am not saying that SGRs do not belong in the game, but there are MANY other things that should have taken priority.
Once again. It is NOT. A SMALL. AMOUNT. OF THE. PLAYER. BASE.

I've come across way too damn many people who want it in game, if only for the reason cause it's a Bioware staple. Some have been rather rude about it while most have been impatient, yet cool about the wait,

MaximusRex's Avatar


MaximusRex
01.07.2013 , 02:53 AM | #213
Quote: Originally Posted by TheBBP View Post
Memory leak.
Server transfers.
Guild functionality...

All things far more important that would benefit far more people than the inclusion of SGRs. SGRs should have definitely been at the bottom of the must-do list somewhere next to hood toggles.
Writers, Voice Actors, and Animators don't work on any of those features. SGR in new content isn't taking any additional time away from content as long as VO is being used in the game. SGR in old content might have greater impact since it was stated there are technical hurrdles there. I think it be perfectly OK to not backtrack SGR into old content, I think the characters can be more compelling if everyone wasn't generically bisexual.

TheBBP's Avatar


TheBBP
01.07.2013 , 02:59 AM | #214
Quote: Originally Posted by Tattari View Post
Once again. It is NOT. A SMALL. AMOUNT. OF THE. PLAYER. BASE.

I've come across way too damn many people who want it in game, if only for the reason cause it's a Bioware staple. Some have been rather rude about it while most have been impatient, yet cool about the wait,
Right. On that note, I know a ton of people who, like me, love the Seahawks. That doesn't make us Seahawk fans a majority of the people around. You have also again failed to realize that this thread is not a debate on whether or not SGRs belong in the game. This thread is about their misplaced priority. Please keep on topic.

It doesn't matter what department works on what. What matters is that it takes resources to put in the work. I don't condone any resources whatsoever going toward satiating such a small amount of the playerbase with SGRs over other much-needed things that resources could have gone to.
Crosswire - Republic Commando / Balloch - Bounty Hunter
Co-Leader of WotM/ALitD Family/Christian Guilds
Site : Recruitment Thread
The Ebon Hawk

Ycoga's Avatar


Ycoga
01.07.2013 , 08:32 AM | #215
Please don't believe that debating which other features could be added instead of SGR by BW sufficiently distracts your attention away from the existence of SGR's in the Universe.
'Pre-2.0 PvP... The gear gap was too big and some players became non-contributors quickly because of the gear gap. It wasn’t fun for the majority of players' - Alex Modny

markcymru's Avatar


markcymru
01.07.2013 , 09:39 AM | #216
BBP, let’s agree that no one posting in this forum actually knows how many players want or make use of any given aspect of SWTOR. We just don’t know the numbers, or how they compare to one another… not even ballpark numbers.**

For example, one could make a case that PvP interests as few as 10% of the player base, or that SGRAs interest 30% or more. No-one knows.

But this is what you said:
Quote: Originally Posted by TheBBP View Post
I have to disagree. There are a BUNCH of standard MMO features that this game is missing that if implemented, could go a long way to improving this game for the vast majority of the playerbase rather than adding SGRs for a small amount of the playerbase.

Again, I am not saying that SGRs do not belong in the game, but there are MANY other things that should have taken priority.
I agree that if you lump ALL the various features together, the total numbers of players who want non-SGR features may outweigh the number in favour of SGRAs, but that’s not really fair – If it were, then you could just as easily say PvP has few adherents compared to the total number wanting other features (including SGRAs) and so PvP should be postponed in favour of all the non-PvP features (which include SGRAs).

If I replace the extravagant claims of numbers with neutral statements, and do one-on-one comparisons of features, this is what your argument looks like:
Quote: Originally Posted by TheBBP View Post
I have to disagree. There are a BUNCH of standard MMO features that this game is missing. Any one of these, if implemented, could go a long way to improving this game for a proportion of the playerbase rather than adding SGRs which would go a long way to improving this game for a proportion of the playerbase.
Then your last sentence doesn’t follow anymore.

My point is this: you can make any argument come out in your favour if you base it on numbers that have no known basis. You can BELIEVE the numbers are true… but then that just means that you’re asking us to believe you’re right, even though you have nothing to back it up. On faith, as it were.


** If you do know the numbers... then just post a link so that we can see them.
“Men are afraid that women will laugh at them. Women are afraid that men will kill them.” — Margaret Atwood

TheBBP's Avatar


TheBBP
01.07.2013 , 10:00 AM | #217
Quote: Originally Posted by markcymru View Post
BBP, let’s agree that no one posting in this forum actually knows how many players want or make use of any given aspect of SWTOR. We just don’t know the numbers, or how they compare to one another… not even ballpark numbers.**

For example, one could make a case that PvP interests as few as 10% of the player base, or that SGRAs interest 30% or more. No-one knows.

But this is what you said:


I agree that if you lump ALL the various features together, the total numbers of players who want non-SGR features may outweigh the number in favour of SGRAs, but that’s not really fair – If it were, then you could just as easily say PvP has few adherents compared to the total number wanting other features (including SGRAs) and so PvP should be postponed in favour of all the non-PvP features (which include SGRAs).

If I replace the extravagant claims of numbers with neutral statements, and do one-on-one comparisons of features, this is what your argument looks like:

Then your last sentence doesn’t follow anymore.

My point is this: you can make any argument come out in your favour if you base it on numbers that have no known basis. You can BELIEVE the numbers are true… but then that just means that you’re asking us to believe you’re right, even though you have nothing to back it up. On faith, as it were.


** If you do know the numbers... then just post a link so that we can see them.
Do you have numbers to refute my claim or are you here just to argue? This thread is about the misplaced prioritization of SGRs.
Crosswire - Republic Commando / Balloch - Bounty Hunter
Co-Leader of WotM/ALitD Family/Christian Guilds
Site : Recruitment Thread
The Ebon Hawk

Altyrell's Avatar


Altyrell
01.07.2013 , 10:01 AM | #218
Quote: Originally Posted by TheBBP View Post
Do you have numbers to refute my claim or are you here just to argue? This thread is about the misplaced prioritization of SGRs.
Then please keep it that way and stop saying small amount of the player base and what not when you won't provide actual proof

wainot-keel's Avatar


wainot-keel
01.07.2013 , 10:09 AM | #219
Quote: Originally Posted by TheBBP View Post
Do you have numbers to refute my claim or are you here just to argue?
You should ask yourself the same question

TheBBP's Avatar


TheBBP
01.07.2013 , 10:34 AM | #220
Quote: Originally Posted by Altyrell View Post
Then please keep it that way and stop saying small amount of the player base and what not when you won't provide actual proof
It is of my belief that an SGR feature is wanted by a small minority of the overall community because there has been no evidence presented to me that says otherwise. If you would like to change my mind about it, I will certainly look at your proof. Outside of that, there is nothing wrong with me stating my opinion.
Crosswire - Republic Commando / Balloch - Bounty Hunter
Co-Leader of WotM/ALitD Family/Christian Guilds
Site : Recruitment Thread
The Ebon Hawk