Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Healing as commando in PVP doesnt seem as fun as healing with scoundrel or sage

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Trooper > Commando
Healing as commando in PVP doesnt seem as fun as healing with scoundrel or sage

Aramyth's Avatar


Aramyth
01.22.2013 , 12:32 AM | #31
I was thinking about my combat medic again and how the class could use a buff. I stand by most of my previous post however, I feel like Bacta Infusion doesn't compare to other healers top skill. They both get an AOE heal with a HoT on it.

Now our AOE heal is fine; change of my previous view of it. I think Bacta Infusion should get a buff instead. We are single target healers. It's supposed to be our area. Make Bacta Infusion the biggest single target heal in the game. Whether you do that by adding a HoT to it, increasing its crit chance or just straight up increasing the heal on it.

I'll stand by my previous advice for Trama Probe. It needs to be able to to be put on multiple people. Up to 4. Maybe adjust the ammo cost on it.

Personally I find my survivbility as a CM to be just fine.

Skylarc's Avatar


Skylarc
01.24.2013 , 05:41 PM | #32
Quote: Originally Posted by oaceen View Post
although i think, as a separate suggestion, to help benefit commando's role of a good single-target healer, i think a +5 or 10% bonus to hammershot healing to the recipient of of trauma probe would be nice as an alternative to the inc healing bonus. it could even be tied to frontline medic and would then provide separate intended benefits for PVP and PVE (and solo play)
This is the first thing I have heard that I agree with on here, mostly because half the other posts are just complaining that commandos aren't sages or scoundrels... Hammer shot(Jesus beam) I only use when I literally have no other option. The healing is ****, the agro it brings sucks and I feel like a terrible player when I use it.

Learn your class or reroll. A commando in the right hands, with the right skill and good positioning is amazing. I beat scoundrels and sages in healing consistently even though I'm buffing their heals with kolto grenade. A good guardian with me and only a focused attack by 3 or more people can kill me, assuming I have no CD's.

Coming from playing paladins in WoW to a commando really shows you how good they are. Pallys only had one instant heal and plenty of Pallys managed to get glad titles.

Honestly I find no problem with their healing, it is what it is, take it or leave it. The two things I would tell a BW employee we need are a leap/pull(our mobility/utility is lower than I think it should), and allowing first aid to remove any debuff from a target(especially with our class receiving no damage mitigation from mental effects). If I even got one of those two I would be in heaven.
Akil'zon: 55 Combat Medic: <The Elite>
Skylarc: 55 Defense Guardian: <The Elite>
Akil'zen: Marksmanship Sniper: <We got death star>

MystbladeWA's Avatar


MystbladeWA
02.02.2013 , 10:34 PM | #33
Quote: Originally Posted by Gyronamics View Post
I'm fine with that personally, I deliberately leave out demo round in my gunnery pvp build and I swap between charged bolts and grav round on purpose with the main aim being to use Full auto with it's brutal damage and 70% slow which both cripples a target and can save friendlies from aggressive melee.

Demo round is a load of balls anyway, it encourages you to rely on one cast which is what gets people ganked, that stuff is for PVE imo.

Give me a Full Auto any time, 3 seconds of crippling snare and huge damage that relies on no stacking.
Interested to see a talent sheet with ur build sans demo round?
Harbringer Server Predator Legacy
GSF Pilots: Wardancer Apèx Warsmíth M'shén

klham's Avatar


klham
02.05.2013 , 12:03 AM | #34
Quote: Originally Posted by Skylarc View Post
Learn your class or reroll. A commando in the right hands, with the right skill and good positioning is amazing. I beat scoundrels and sages in healing consistently even though I'm buffing their heals with kolto grenade. A good guardian with me and only a focused attack by 3 or more people can kill me, assuming I have no CD's. .
I think Op/Scoundrel and Sorc/ Sage healers are able to spend more of their time healing instead of getting side-tracked with defensive dps'ing (in PvP). My overall numbers are high, but depending how the WZ goes they're often split 60-40 between healing and damage. When we get our escape/disengage I think it will boost overall healing numbers.

schooch's Avatar


schooch
02.05.2013 , 11:11 AM | #35
Quote: Originally Posted by klham View Post
My overall numbers are high, but depending how the WZ goes they're often split 60-40 between healing and damage.
I think my ratio is like 1/4% dps to 99 3/4% healing LOL (the only time I dps is to stop a cap.) IMO there is no reason for a CM to be DPSing, all that dps does is burn through you ammo supper quick, which is hard enough to stay on top as is. I would suggest trying out not DPSing.
Markoss-Commando medic

Aramyth's Avatar


Aramyth
02.07.2013 , 01:02 PM | #36
Quote: Originally Posted by Skylarc View Post

Learn your class or reroll. A commando in the right hands, with the right skill and good positioning is amazing. I beat scoundrels and sages in healing consistently even though I'm buffing their heals with kolto grenade.
You must be playing with bad Scoundrels and Sages. They should always beat you in healing if they are as skilled as you, or better. It's simply a matter of numbers. As a commando, you have no HoTs (trauma probe barely counts), which means if you aren't actively casting a heal on someone, you're not healing at all. Scoundrals and Sages have HoTS they can use and heal in addition to those HoTs ticking off.

SpaniardInfinity's Avatar


SpaniardInfinity
02.07.2013 , 07:10 PM | #37
Quote: Originally Posted by schooch View Post
I think my ratio is like 1/4% dps to 99 3/4% healing LOL (the only time I dps is to stop a cap.) IMO there is no reason for a CM to be DPSing, all that dps does is burn through you ammo super quick, which is hard enough to stay on top as is. I would suggest trying out not DPSing.
Bingo. The resource pool is already quite tight, selling yourself short by spending your ammo on someone you are unlikely to kill solo (unless there is a serious gear/skill disparity) is a waste. With the current state of Commando, if you aren't doing purely one or the other (heal or DPS) you are, frankly, a liability to your team.

Quote: Originally Posted by Aramyth View Post
You must be playing with bad Scoundrels and Sages. They should always beat you in healing if they are as skilled as you, or better. It's simply a matter of numbers. As a commando, you have no HoTs (trauma probe barely counts), which means if you aren't actively casting a heal on someone, you're not healing at all. Scoundrals and Sages have HoTS they can use and heal in addition to those HoTs ticking off.
True, but to be frank, last time I checked a warzone doesn't end when your healing breaks 1 million healing. The scoreboard doesn't always tell the story. Don't get me wrong, big numbers are usually a good indicator of skill (and yes, it is true that Smugglers and Sages probably break 1 mil heals more frequently than Commando), but I've seen plenty of times where most of the heavy lifting (life saving) was done by the healer focused on helping the team and not padding their own numbers.

As I've said before I'm fine with the class' weakness at group healing. The question is whether or not Bioware wants to reinforce their role as the single target specialist or make them more versatile (and thus a better group healer). 1.7/Expansion will tell.
Aux "Spaniard" Wargarde (Rank 2400+ Combat Medic) | Reighner the Relentless (Conqueror Bodyguard)
The Generalissimo Legacy
<Uncensored>

Aramyth's Avatar


Aramyth
02.08.2013 , 03:05 AM | #38
Quote: Originally Posted by SpaniardInfinity View Post
True, but to be frank, last time I checked a warzone doesn't end when your healing breaks 1 million healing. The scoreboard doesn't always tell the story. Don't get me wrong, big numbers are usually a good indicator of skill (and yes, it is true that Smugglers and Sages probably break 1 mil heals more frequently than Commando), but I've seen plenty of times where most of the heavy lifting (life saving) was done by the healer focused on helping the team and not padding their own numbers.

As I've said before I'm fine with the class' weakness at group healing. The question is whether or not Bioware wants to reinforce their role as the single target specialist or make them more versatile (and thus a better group healer). 1.7/Expansion will tell.
I'm talking strictly numbers. However, I play my commando regularly with a sage healer and we have very similar play styles in terms of keeping focus on the objective etc and she will normally always best my healing numbers. (Ill more frequently top her numbers in Huttball, where she often spends time setting up pulls.) My point is if you have a Sage/Scoundrel vs a Commando with very similar playstyles then the Sage/Scoundrel will mostly always heal for more.

As for commandos being single target specialists I really don't see how we are. Our biggest heals are still on par with a Sages biggest heal. I believe out cast times are slightly lower. And Bacta Infusion; which for a top tier skill is weak in comparison to other healing classes. I personally think it needs a boost.

SkinzOCAU's Avatar


SkinzOCAU
02.18.2013 , 03:00 AM | #39
Quote: Originally Posted by Aramyth View Post
I'm talking strictly numbers. However, I play my commando regularly with a sage healer and we have very similar play styles in terms of keeping focus on the objective etc and she will normally always best my healing numbers. (Ill more frequently top her numbers in Huttball, where she often spends time setting up pulls.) My point is if you have a Sage/Scoundrel vs a Commando with very similar playstyles then the Sage/Scoundrel will mostly always heal for more.

As for commandos being single target specialists I really don't see how we are. Our biggest heals are still on par with a Sages biggest heal. I believe out cast times are slightly lower. And Bacta Infusion; which for a top tier skill is weak in comparison to other healing classes. I personally think it needs a boost.
It is pretty depressing when you are a CM in PVP and you drop your Bacta Infusion on someone hoping to save their life, and it consistently only lands for 2k. And you are in warhero/elite warhero.

I've rolled a CM since launch and been a sub the entire time. Honestly, Bioware and EA only care about $$. If these changes don't buff us come their release, I am not giving them another cent, and I suggest you all do the same. We have been weak sauce since post 1.3. Anyone who is trying to tell you different will suggest another strategy. 'Oh you need to kite'. 'You need to roll with a tank 100%'. 'You need to be at 90 degrees and do a rain dance'. The fact of the matter is that no other AC needs to go to all these measures to stay competitive.

The crux of the matter is a CM needs to play at his/her full ability 100% of the time, just to stay within range of Sage's and Scoundrels that are playing at 75%.