Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Healing as commando in PVP doesnt seem as fun as healing with scoundrel or sage

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Trooper > Commando
Healing as commando in PVP doesnt seem as fun as healing with scoundrel or sage

gabusan
01.02.2013 , 01:00 PM | #1
I have been playing healing commando on Lvl 50 PVP for some time now and I confess I dont find it fun. I cant speak for damage commando, but I simply fail to see what is there exciting about healing as commando.

Sages seem to have loads of fun. They can slip away from enemies with force speed and they can put bubbles on everyone around them while keeping on the run. That alone seems worth the price of admission.

Scoundrel also seems to be having fun. They can put a heal over time effect on everyone around them, they can stealth to crowd control reinforcements that didnt join the fight yet (with a sedative effect of half damage done for 10 sec after it breaks) and even disappear in mid fight to escape. Wow, not bad at all.

What can I actually do that is cool as commando? Am I missing something here? Because quite frankly, I dont really see any advantage.

Lets see, I can lob a grenade that heals several people at once. That is fun. But Sages can do that too, only they create a circle on the ground and then they can forget about it. Everyone who needs a heal steps into the circle. Those who dont need a heal dont go to the circle. How is my commando healing grenade any better? I have to manually aim and shoot the grenade again each 6 secs. Sages and scoundrels just use their area of effect heal and forget, they can focus on other things, like running away of the enemy and heal themselves when out of range. I cannot do that, I gotta stay close to lob the next healing grenade.

I can place a trauma probe that heals slowly over time. That sounded like cool, but I can only place it in one target, usually me. Scoundrels can place a heal over time on everyone, no limits.

I can I raise a damage barrier that reduces incoming damage by 25% AND makes me immune to interrupts. That is probably the best feature my commando has, very unique. Still, I can get crowd controlled for the duration. And is it really such a great idea to stop moving for several cast heals in a row? Seems like I become an obvious target for everyone nearby. I usually die with a full resolve bar after raising the damage barrier. Casting one heal, run away and casting again from a different position, maybe forcing ranged enemies to lose their line of sight to me, seems like much more intelligent tactic than raising a barrier and heal away several times in a row hoping I wont get killed on the ensuing onslaught of focus fire and stuns that will follow. Couldnt I get a skill that heals me a considerable ammount when I get stunned? That should make them think twice before dumping all their crowd control on me.

Woah, I can shoot people to heal them! That seems cool, but if I am shooting at allies to heal them, I am not shooting at enemies and then my trauma probe isnt triggering as often as it should. How is it I have two mechanics that work against each other? And the healing green beam is kinda obvious, no? Wont take long for the opponent to notice there is a healer nearby. The beam even spares him the bother of looking for the healer, just follow the beam. And by the way, shooting at enemies is key to survive, because I need the trauma probe to trigger extra heals on me, but at the same time, that often breaks crowd control from people trying to help me because I am mashing the shoot button like an idiot. I also have to shoot the beam to "charge up" my healing. Do developers realize how boring that is? Other classes dont have to mash a button before battle start to make sure they will be at their peak of skill. They can do fun stuff like chatting with people or typing emotes while I have to keep an eye on the "charge" and make sure by the time warzone starts it will be ready.

I have a push back that sends enemies flying. But Sages can do that too, nothing special in that. Not that the pushing back really helps that much, because the marauders and juggernauts are instantly jumping back at me. I can toss a cryo grenade to stun them when they return, but forget about running away like scoundrels do. Scoundrels can stun more often, they get a speed buff to get away more easly and they can get into cover before the stunned guy recovers, so they cannot jump back at them. The scoundrel can even toss a slow down effect on the attacker while running away to get into cover, so they earn even more time to do whatever they want. A lot of times, the sith changes target and attacks someone else, because the scoundrel will probably dissapear when they reach him again.

I can insta-cast any ability on a cooldown. I use that to insta-cast my crowd control (mezz) and that is probably the most surprising, effective defense I have. People rarely expects that, probably because it is a long cooldown and they dont see it often. Of course they can break the crowd control and then I have wasted two cooldowns instead of one. Scoundrels can crowd control instantly not one, but 3 enemies at once. And they dont have to bother blowing up a separate cooldown ability first.

So what is there so unique and fun in commando healing that justifies me playing this class in PVP? In all honesty, I think I will take the chance of the next extra 5 levels in the expansion to switch to a new class and gear up again. In my server there are very few commandos in PVP, even less of them doing healing, and the few of us are always below other heal classes in the scoreboards unless we have much better gear or the enemy team forgot to focus fire on us as priority target for an easy, fast kill, like all the veteran players seem to be doing. I am sure a lot of you are having a blast as commando healer and pulling huge numbers but then please explain to me what am I missing here.

johnyangelo
01.06.2013 , 02:21 AM | #2
I wondering and the same and my hope are towards 1.7.

Of course I can pull screenshot with 1000 hps or with 850k healing but that prooves nothing but easy match.

Currently commando healers are only good when guarded by a good tank. Apparently allmighty heavy frakking tough armor is not working properly.

Aramyth
01.07.2013 , 09:21 AM | #3
I've never hit 800k healing on a commando, nor have I seen anyone else do it. :/

Sowwy
01.07.2013 , 04:38 PM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Aramyth View Post
I've never hit 800k healing on a commando, nor have I seen anyone else do it. :/

A few commando / merc healers have broke 1 million healing on harbinger but obviously its a rare thing. While I do think they need some positive adjustments, they can still make a significant impact on a match.

Endek
01.10.2013 , 06:03 AM | #5
Good insight into the Rep healers, for which I play all three and having recently taken my Commando out of storage for another run and even with full War Hero kit and a basic understanding of the toons mechanics, I simply find the Commando a really challenging toon to play well at lvl50 compared to my other toons.

Especially if my friends aren't online and I PuG or once the Imp's dps mobs spot me and my team mates are unable to support their support healer. So I find that my current tactic is to allow the attacker/s to get it over quickly (2 good dps toons can do this in approx 3-4 seconds) so that I can get back as quick as I can to support the team as best I can... As there is no advantage to my team having me running around trying to oppose the attack as I am no use to my team as a support role doing that.

So, at best, when I have a good tank on my back and one or two good dps to look after, I seem to be able to function as a reasonable support / heal toon.

However, I must admit that for some reason, I still enjoy holding onto the idea of the Commando as a viable PvP toon, despite all the hastle I seem to go through with the Commando in lvl 50 WZ at the moment. Maybe I just like the punishment some of those Imp toons can dish out whilst I try to figure out better ways to support my team mates.
Endek
Server:- Dxun Battle Circle

Dabrixmgp
01.10.2013 , 09:01 AM | #6
the green ray of death is great. No other healer gets a big glowing neon green sign that says focus me for the rest of the WZ. But hey at least you will top the deaths meter.

NoFishing
01.10.2013 , 11:26 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by gabusan View Post
Lets see, I can lob a grenade that heals several people at once. That is fun. But Sages can do that too, only they create a circle on the ground and then they can forget about it. Everyone who needs a heal steps into the circle. Those who dont need a heal dont go to the circle. How is my commando healing grenade any better?
Because your AoE cannot be interrupted, and doesn't encourage your team to group up for smashes and other AoE damage. The circle of life becomes a circle of death very quickly in PvP. Plus, yours can be done on the move.

Scoundrels do have it better with a targeted AoE HoT however.

Quote: Originally Posted by gabusan View Post
I can I raise a damage barrier that reduces incoming damage by 25% AND makes me immune to interrupts. That is probably the best feature my commando has, very unique. Still, I can get crowd controlled for the duration.
Save reactive shield for when you have a full resolve bar, and become an unstoppable healing god for 12s. It doesn't happen often, but when it does, it is quite fun. Something to relish while you wait for the spawn door to tick down.

But yes, commandos need a lot of love in the areas of utility and escape, or MUCH better survivability, to be at all fun to bring into a PvP WZ again. Mine has retired from PvP in favor of my 50 sage and other lowbie toons.

Aramyth
01.11.2013 , 09:59 AM | #8
The only thing my commando healer needs is the ability to put Taurma Probe on more than 1 person. I would think up to 4 people would be good. Yourself and 3 others.

A small HoT added to our group heal would also be nice. It could heal 3 ticks the same as AMP.

Change the animation for the Hammer Hot heal. That green beam is ridiculous. It's like saying kill the healer one one side of this and then kill the thing on the other side.

Escaping isn't really a problem for me as a Commando and I can survive a hell of a beating most of the time.

Endek
01.12.2013 , 10:36 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Aramyth View Post
"That green beam is ridiculous. It's like saying kill the healer on one side of this and then kill the thing on the other side."
Lol... yeah, every time I light up the park with that rather spectacular green come to my party laser beam, I can't help but think that I have just sent out a huge invite!

But on the other hand, it is a very effective taunt in PvP if your trying to draw the crowd's attention away from your tank and dps so that you get to spend some up close and personal time with a few of the other team that are sure to bounce your way Also lets you know pretty quick how switched on the other team is as well...

So in reality, I tend not to use the Green Beam a lot if I am a fair distance from my team members that I am healing and prefer to jump onto Hammer Shot to keep stacking my Combat Support Cell to get the 10 seconds of Supercharged Cell fun.

A shame the Green Party Beam is not invisible to the other team... that would work for me.
Endek
Server:- Dxun Battle Circle

oaceen
01.13.2013 , 01:13 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Endek View Post
A shame the Green Party Beam is not invisible to the other team... that would work for me.
it's way too simple of a solution for them to implement though.