Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Mercenary or Powertech for pretty much every playstyle?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Mercenary or Powertech for pretty much every playstyle?

MegaLayth
01.02.2013 , 09:27 AM | #1
I need to choose my AC and can't decide to go with merc or PT. I do pretty much all play styles. I do alot of warzones, grouping (heroics) and flashpoints and I do solo too. I don't want to be stood still like the merc as his abilities are all channeled whereas the PT's abilities are mostly all instant so he can shoot and run at the same time.

I heard that the merc's bad at huttball too... But just as good as PT in all the other wz's...

My favourite role is dps and they both do dps so I'm torn between them.
Healing or tanking would be my secondary role and dps would be my first.
I hardly ever tank on my other characters and do dps but I do love doing healing/dps with my operative.
I like the merc's healing but I like the PT's mobility and moves.

So which one do you guys think is best for me/ better than the other and why?
Thanks in advance.
Violence is always the answer.

_Darkstar
01.02.2013 , 10:07 AM | #2
I might be wrong but I think Merc = 30yds and Powertech = 10yds. And that was what I based my choice on since I hate having to be that close to stuff.
British by act of union, English by grace of God, Northern by pure good fortune!

Macroeconomics
01.02.2013 , 01:08 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by MegaLayth View Post
I heard that the merc's bad at huttball too... But just as good as PT in all the other wz's...
LOL. Merc is worthless in every warzone. Hands down the worst PvP class in the game. It's fine for PvE though.

TrumpetNut
01.02.2013 , 01:15 PM | #4
Hey there!
I like the powertech personally. They can pull and charge enemies. They have a great tanking, Burst dps, and DoT builds as well. The powertech and mercenary however share one fatal flaw in PvP mostly: very little escape mechanics. Powertechs can use they're charge ability to escape by attacking another far away enemy but aside from that they have a major problem there. Mercenary is an amazing healer class. I personally prefer Powertech but it really is up to you. Both classes shape up at level 30/40 the most when they gain the adv class tree's final ability.