Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Should i upgrade my graphics card or cpu?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Should i upgrade my graphics card or cpu?

Gwence
01.02.2013 , 01:36 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Fornix View Post
I would strongly advise against the Nvidia 560 Ti in most circumstances, as for a generation older card which tends to sell for roughly 250 ~ 260 Eur it's only about 20 Eur cheaper than the Nvidia 660 Ti here.

@ OP: In case the x60 Ti would be your desired card, be sure to check on the price difference for your local hardware shack. Performance of the 660 Ti is roughly 50% - 100% better with the average modern game, so if it's any less than 50 Eur of a price difference I'd personally say take that 660 Ti instead.
600 series wasnt out when I built my rig, nor ivy bridge, also i use p67 board so no real benefit to upgrade to 600 series right now without doing a full overhaul

either way your advice is bad, 560ti is overkill for swtor and pretty much any other game I've played

Gwence
01.02.2013 , 01:41 PM | #22
Quote: Originally Posted by Anti_Bodies View Post
SSD are in no way cheaper then HDD. Sure you can get a 64 gb SSD cheaper then a terabyte HDD, but thats not exactly a fair comparison.
well I just looked at prices, seems they've come down a bit - havent' really been keeping up on it. In any case ssd isnt meant for storage drive and if you're buying a hdd that is optimized for boot device like for example wd black drive you're gonna pay roughly the same as a 120gb ssd - which is plenty of space to put like 4 games on, then just transfer over to storage when done on like a wd green or something which is much much much cheaper.

Marmerus
01.02.2013 , 01:41 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Gwence View Post
600 series wasnt out when I built my rig, nor ivy bridge, also i use p67 board so no real benefit to upgrade to 600 series right now without doing a full overhaul

either way your advice is bad, 560ti is overkill for swtor and pretty much any other game I've played
Why would a p67 board prevent you from getting a GPU upgrade?

And why would a GTX 560Ti be overkill for games at all? Unless you are playing farmville on facebook or solitare in Windows. But in general the GTX 560Ti is a mid segment card that performs OK in newer games but you are going to need much more GPU power to play games with high settings.
@ Bioware
Stop trolling the EU. Fix the downtimes to the middle of the night and not in the middle of the morning / day.

Gwence
01.02.2013 , 01:47 PM | #24
umm because 600 series utilizes pci-e 3.0 and sandy bridge and p67 does not, why would I buy a gpu that I can't fully utilize without a chipset and cpu upgrade?

as for performance I've played through alot of intense fps games at max setting with no problems - deus ex human revolution which is a game they advertise as being optimized for amd cards I never got under 50fps on max settings, that's a pretty graphic intensive game

it's funny you think newer games are the ones that need alot of gpu power, but in all honestly some of the older games are the highest gpu intense games to date - metro 2033, crysis, etc. all quite old games and top the charts in terms of gpu usage.

darthinity
01.02.2013 , 01:49 PM | #25
Ok i thank everyone for all your help. I have one more question.
I just opened up my computer and it is unbelievably dusty. So how much do you think this could be causing a lot of my lag?
Jayro

Trevalon
01.02.2013 , 01:52 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by darthinity View Post
I just opened up my computer and it is unbelievably dusty. So how much do you think this could be causing a lot of my lag?
Meh, probably not much - Dust causes overheating issues and unless your shutting down from heat issues then it probably isn't affecting your FPS that much.

Marmerus
01.02.2013 , 01:53 PM | #27
umm because 600 series utilizes pci-e 3.0 and sandy bridge and p67 does not, why would I buy a gpu that I can't fully utilize without a chipset and cpu upgrade?

as for performance I've played through alot of intense fps games at max setting with no problems - deus ex human revolution which is a game they advertise as being optimized for amd cards I never got under 50fps on max settings, that's a pretty graphic intensive game

it's funny you think newer games are the ones that need alot of gpu power, but in all honestly some of the older games are the highest gpu intense games to date - metro 2033, crysis, etc. all quite old games and top the charts in terms of gpu usage.
Because there is not a single card that is powerful enough to utilize the bandwidth of a single PCI-E 3.0 16x lane.
And if there was they would be needed to come up with PCI-E 4.0 with the next generation of cards or it would be pointless.

Metro 2033 is not old. It was released in 2010.

Ofc newer games are GPU heavy. Have you tried Battlefield 3?

EDIT: Btw Im running my GTX 680s on PCI-E 2.0 8x lanes (because nvidia PCI-E ****up) and they are not bottlenecked by the PCI-E lanes.
@ Bioware
Stop trolling the EU. Fix the downtimes to the middle of the night and not in the middle of the morning / day.

Fornix
01.02.2013 , 01:53 PM | #28
The 560 is most definitely not overkill, not even the 660 is. It's a mid-range card which scores decent in games such as BF3, Skyrim, Crysis 2, etc, But still more is to be gained by using the GTX 680.

For SWTOR the performance benefit is less profound, as previously explained already.
Member of <Helix>

JustinxDuff
01.02.2013 , 01:54 PM | #29
Lag can happen when the GPU overheats. While in your case it doesn't sound like this is your problem regardless, clean it out! Make sure you actually take the card out then clean it with some compressed air.
Bluntasaurus - Gunslinger - Ewoks Anonyous
Bluntskii - Sentinel - Ewoks Anonymous
Prophecy of the Five
Push the envelope, watch it bend

Fornix
01.02.2013 , 01:56 PM | #30
Your computer will not run slower due to dust, as temperature does not influence speed per sť. 2.6 Ghz @ 30 C or 2.6 Ghz at 50 C is the exact same speed. However, a lower temperature does allow for greater overclocking if desired, and in terms of that keeping dust out is most definitely preferable.

Even beyond that it's also strongly to be recommended to keep it clean, primarily to reduce the risk of fire hazard.
Member of <Helix>