Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Should i upgrade my graphics card or cpu?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Should i upgrade my graphics card or cpu?

darthinity
01.02.2013 , 12:18 PM | #11
Yeah my FPS when not in combat is around 40-60 flashing green and red. but as soon as combat starts thats when i have problems and its just red. Any suggestions on a video card with the similar cost/preformance as radeon 6850 but you think would be better for swtor?

I also have 8g of ram so i think i am good their
Jayro

DarknessInLight
01.02.2013 , 12:30 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by darthinity View Post
My cpu is an Intel Core i7 860 2.80GHZ
Graphics card is ATI Radeon HD 5700 series

I know nothing about computers really but the game extremely laggy in combat. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Graphics card. I'm going to be a little biased here, ditch ATI for NVidia. Much better in terms of particle and physics effects in games that have features like realistic cloth movement. PhysX anyone?
Jedi do not fight for Peace. That's only a slogan, and is as misleading, as slogans always are. Jedi fight for Civilization, because only Civilization creates Peace. - Jedi Master Mace Windu

DarknessInLight
01.02.2013 , 12:35 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by darthinity View Post
Yeah my FPS when not in combat is around 40-60 flashing green and red. but as soon as combat starts thats when i have problems and its just red. Any suggestions on a video card with the similar cost/preformance as radeon 6850 but you think would be better for swtor?

I also have 8g of ram so i think i am good their
NVidia is a much better choice. I think that the GT560 and higher would be a good fit for your system with this game. Please understand that this is a lower end choice. There are NVidia cards much, much stronger than the 560, but I am running SWTOR with a GT520 and have ZERO issues with everything maxed out.

As far as you RAM goes, 8gb of RAM may NOT be enough. I have two questions for you:

1. Are you running Windows 7? Windows 8?

2. Are you running an integrated Radeon 6850? Remember that an integrated 6850 and a dedicated 6850 have two different performance levels.
Jedi do not fight for Peace. That's only a slogan, and is as misleading, as slogans always are. Jedi fight for Civilization, because only Civilization creates Peace. - Jedi Master Mace Windu

Smuglebunny
01.02.2013 , 12:40 PM | #14
Im running a laptop with a core2duo at 2.4Ghz 6g ram and a nVidia 9600m GT. runs great. Maybe its your internet connection.

chuixupu
01.02.2013 , 12:52 PM | #15
This is a very informative thread, thanks for posting.
Wardens of Fate / Alea Iacta Est
The Tarkus Legacy ~ The Harbinger/Jedi Covenant

Gwence
01.02.2013 , 12:54 PM | #16
560ti and I've nevr had any lag issues in this game in combat, out of combat, sitting on fleet staring at 200 people etc.

long load times are because you boot from a ****** mechanical drive, get with the times and get an ssd, they're cheaper than hdd's in alot of cases nowadays. I don't think I've ever had a load time longer than 6-8'ish seconds.

would be even faster if u boot from a ramdisk partition

I would also check your ram amount before u start blaming your gpu, if you have less than 8gb, should upgrade that first. and like someone else said - win 7 64 bit

Fornix
01.02.2013 , 12:59 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by DarknessInLight View Post
NVidia is a much better choice. I think that the GT560 and higher would be a good fit for your system with this game. Please understand that this is a lower end choice. There are NVidia cards much, much stronger than the 560, but I am running SWTOR with a GT520 and have ZERO issues with everything maxed out.
I would strongly advise against the Nvidia 560 Ti in most circumstances, as for a generation older card which tends to sell for roughly 250 ~ 260 Eur it's only about 20 Eur cheaper than the Nvidia 660 Ti here.

@ OP: In case the x60 Ti would be your desired card, be sure to check on the price difference for your local hardware shack. Performance of the 660 Ti is roughly 50% - 100% better with the average modern game, so if it's any less than 50 Eur of a price difference I'd personally say take that 660 Ti instead.
Member of <Helix>

Anti_Bodies
01.02.2013 , 01:13 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Gwence View Post
560ti and I've nevr had any lag issues in this game in combat, out of combat, sitting on fleet staring at 200 people etc.

long load times are because you boot from a ****** mechanical drive, get with the times and get an ssd, they're cheaper than hdd's in alot of cases nowadays. I don't think I've ever had a load time longer than 6-8'ish seconds.

would be even faster if u boot from a ramdisk partition

I would also check your ram amount before u start blaming your gpu, if you have less than 8gb, should upgrade that first. and like someone else said - win 7 64 bit
SSD are in no way cheaper then HDD. Sure you can get a 64 gb SSD cheaper then a terabyte HDD, but thats not exactly a fair comparison.

Marmerus
01.02.2013 , 01:28 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by DarknessInLight View Post
I am running SWTOR with a GT520 and have ZERO issues with everything maxed out.
And here I am like a dumb ***** because I bought 3xGTX 680 when I could have gotten a single GT520 that outperforms my system.
@ Bioware
Stop trolling the EU. Fix the downtimes to the middle of the night and not in the middle of the morning / day.

Marmerus
01.02.2013 , 01:34 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by Fornix View Post
The game actually takes less CPU and GPU power than most other current day games, and that's part of the problem of its performance. CPU wise for example it maximizes one core for me, and uses a secondary core partially. The rest is not used at all.

That one core being used, that's without a doubt the rendering aspect of DirectX 9.0c at work for you. DirectX 9.0c doesn't yet have multicore support, so it's limited in speed due to that already. Beyond that, the interaction between game and GPU with DirectX 9.0c for many things works in the following fashion:

Game -> CPU -> GPU, where the CPU is a needless middle-man, simply passing along the message.
DirectX 11 for a lot more things simply works like game -> GPU, skipping the middle-man CPU.

This also makes it hard to truly optimize hardware for the game, and judging by the screenshot you post with an FPS of around 60, you're going to need to keep in mind that a minimal performance gain might be noticed with a single hardware upgrade now. I'm not sure if that's your lowest measurement?

For better benefit of current day hardware we can only hope that BioWare will one day still implement DirectX 11 support.
Yeah but I have a high end computer and I hit get lots of drops when playing the game. And like I said earlier it is both CPU and GPU bottleneck.

The screenshot was just a lucky thing. Was lots of people on the fleet when I joined the server and seconds later when I planed to take a screenshot of the blinking everyone had gone away so I got this 60 fps screenshot. But normally when there is more people around I get drops down to 40.

Yeah same for me that a single thread gets maxed out.
@ Bioware
Stop trolling the EU. Fix the downtimes to the middle of the night and not in the middle of the morning / day.