Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Should i upgrade my graphics card or cpu?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
Should i upgrade my graphics card or cpu?

darthinity
01.01.2013 , 11:35 PM | #1
My cpu is an Intel Core i7 860 2.80GHZ
Graphics card is ATI Radeon HD 5700 series

I know nothing about computers really but the game extremely laggy in combat. Any help is greatly appreciated.
Jayro

Ashlockheart
01.01.2013 , 11:58 PM | #2
Graphics card. Your processer is fine for the next year in a half.
MAY THE FORCE BE WITH YOU.

darthinity
01.02.2013 , 09:37 AM | #3
allright thanks a lot. radeon hd 6850 good? wont bottleneck too much?
Jayro

Fornix
01.02.2013 , 10:11 AM | #4
I'm not quite sure on how the Ati cards perform as I'm more of an nvidia guy. However, I can most certainly imagine your CPU @ 2.8 Ghz being the bottleneck in TOR. Ingame press ctrl+shift+f and see what color the FPS indicator becomes in the bottom left corner of the screen.

Quote: Originally Posted by Cerimon View Post
Greetings All,

So the actual explanation of the FPS display colors:

Red = Rendering bound/Video Card
Green = Simulation bound/CPU
Yellow = Mix of both
Current FPS (Lowest FPS over the last 10 seconds or so)

@nrazen_nl: some things just don't get into the patchnotes.

Thank you for playing Star Wars: The Old Republic
In other words, if it slows down but remains green, upgrade the CPU for SWTOR. If it becomes red when it slows down in busy fights, upgrade the GPU.

If you're not just optimizing for MMO's or DirectX 9 games but want to optimize for regular games, games making use of DirectX 11, then most certainly upgrade the graphics card.
Member of <Helix>

Petnil
01.02.2013 , 10:24 AM | #5
Also, how much ram do you have. Personly i would get more ram if i had less than 4g. Probably get more ram even with 4g up to at least 6g and more likely 8g.

Marmerus
01.02.2013 , 10:38 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Fornix View Post
I'm not quite sure on how the Ati cards perform as I'm more of an nvidia guy. However, I can most certainly imagine your CPU @ 2.8 Ghz being the bottleneck in TOR. Ingame press ctrl+shift+f and see what color the FPS indicator becomes in the bottom left corner of the screen.

In other words, if it slows down but remains green, upgrade the CPU for SWTOR. If it becomes red when it slows down in busy fights, upgrade the GPU.

If you're not just optimizing for MMO's or DirectX 9 games but want to optimize for regular games, games making use of DirectX 11, then most certainly upgrade the graphics card.
Thank you did not know that. But it seems I get a mix between CPU and GPU bottleneck.

When adaptive vsync kicks in at 60 fps my GPU is the bottleneck and I get a drops in FPS. (GPU bound)
When outdoors and I can see lots of stuff but hardly any players I get drop in FPS. (GPU bound)
When in fleet and I see LOTS of people I it is blinking green and red and I have drops in FPS. Especially when turning (GPU+CPU bound).
When turning OFF the UI I get a boost in fps with around 5 fps. Still blinking. (GPU+CPU bound)

So without a doubt this game takes more cpu and gpu power than most other games I have tried in my entire life.

Lowered the quality of the screenshot so it does not take that long to load. Only 715KB (for those of you with slow connection)
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/7114232/SWT..._43_549597.jpg
@ Bioware
Stop trolling the EU. Fix the downtimes to the middle of the night and not in the middle of the morning / day.

Fornix
01.02.2013 , 11:17 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Marmerus View Post
Thank you did not know that. But it seems I get a mix between CPU and GPU bottleneck.

When adaptive vsync kicks in at 60 fps my GPU is the bottleneck and I get a drops in FPS. (GPU bound)
When outdoors and I can see lots of stuff but hardly any players I get drop in FPS. (GPU bound)
When in fleet and I see LOTS of people I it is blinking green and red and I have drops in FPS. Especially when turning (GPU+CPU bound).
When turning OFF the UI I get a boost in fps with around 5 fps. Still blinking. (GPU+CPU bound)

So without a doubt this game takes more cpu and gpu power than most other games I have tried in my entire life.

Lowered the quality of the screenshot so it does not take that long to load. Only 715KB (for those of you with slow connection)
https://dl.dropbox.com/u/7114232/SWT..._43_549597.jpg
The game actually takes less CPU and GPU power than most other current day games, and that's part of the problem of its performance. CPU wise for example it maximizes one core for me, and uses a secondary core partially. The rest is not used at all.

That one core being used, that's without a doubt the rendering aspect of DirectX 9.0c at work for you. DirectX 9.0c doesn't yet have multicore support, so it's limited in speed due to that already. Beyond that, the interaction between game and GPU with DirectX 9.0c for many things works in the following fashion:

Game -> CPU -> GPU, where the CPU is a needless middle-man, simply passing along the message.
DirectX 11 for a lot more things simply works like game -> GPU, skipping the middle-man CPU.

This also makes it hard to truly optimize hardware for the game, and judging by the screenshot you post with an FPS of around 60, you're going to need to keep in mind that a minimal performance gain might be noticed with a single hardware upgrade now. I'm not sure if that's your lowest measurement?

For better benefit of current day hardware we can only hope that BioWare will one day still implement DirectX 11 support.
Member of <Helix>

Goretzu
01.02.2013 , 11:19 AM | #8
Interestingly I just discovered that my FPS plument during the usual "loading screen stall".
Real Star Wars space combat please, not Star Wars Fox! Maybe some PvP and flight too?
Goretzu's Law: As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving "Entitled" approaches 1

LordArtemis
01.02.2013 , 11:43 AM | #9
The game seems to utilize only one cpu core fully, uses quite a bit of graphics ram, Crossfire and SLI have too many problems, no DX11 and is not very efficient. It may even have a memory leak.

This is usually the set of recommendations I give folks.

CPU speed is most important. Amount of cores above 2 less so. Try to keep core speed above 3 Ghz. I7 or FX processor recommended.

Anything below an AMD 6850 or Nvidia GTX460 is not wise. I would recommend the very bottom at a 6870 2GB or GTX560 2GB, both with GDDR5. Some folks have reported throttling problems with 7850/7870 cards, so just be aware of that, perhaps aim above that point if you want AMD. AMD drivers do not support the game as well as Nvidia drivers.

Windows XP SP3 will seriously hinder performance due mainly to the 4GB ram restriction (unless it is 64 bit naturally)...minimum should be Windows 7 64 bit with at least 6GB of ram, would suggest 8 and also would suggest it be DDR3 1600 or higher.

An SSD is highly recommended. You can also try SWTOR unleashed to improve performance with normal drives.

Fornix
01.02.2013 , 11:44 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Goretzu View Post
Interestingly I just discovered that my FPS plument during the usual "loading screen stall".
Which isn't surprising, as what basically happens during such load screen stalls is that a game is having difficulty retrieving a file from your drive. In the meantime it's stuck there till the file is loaded in and it is allowed to cycle through. So if you need to load in an 800 MB data file for example with a 5400 RPM HDD with an avg read speed of 70 MB / sec you will face a 12 sec stall.
Member of <Helix>