Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Rules of looting blatendly disregarded?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content
Rules of looting blatendly disregarded?

Akiviri
12.30.2012 , 12:24 PM | #31
I don't know how the system works (in this game) as I don't group anything I can solo, and since I can solo anything inside of a level or two I don't need to group and prefer not to because of what this thread is about - in part. So this observation may already be the case but it doesn't sound like it.

It seems to me if the devs wanted ONLY people who can actually use an item to be able to roll 'need' on it - then the lists would be itemized and only classes that can use the item would have the option to need, everyone else would get 'greed' or 'pass'. Yes - it amounts to babysitting, but apparently some people 'need' that.

That being the case - working as intended. Though why they would intend this to be the case I don't know. I've not heard of dark points being awarded for being a troll in groups. Personally I think it's just a case of "We'll get good people in our game, we won't be like "That Other Game" with immature twits running around causing problems aggravating everyone just so they can feel all special" by the devs.

Hope springs eternal.

Pulpp
12.31.2012 , 06:37 AM | #32
Quit bastardizing the term 'Ninja Looting'.

And while you are at it, quit caring about crappy loot that doesn't matter.
--
Entitled whiners don't understand the new F2P model purposefully offers a stripped down version of the game to entice people to subscribe, because polls showed people were not willing to subscribe to the full version of the game (wait...what?!).

bahdasz
12.31.2012 , 08:47 AM | #33
I just realized this, but the OP has so many problems getting in a group, and then he gets one and everyone ninja's all the loot... which is one of the many reasons people listed for not grouping in the first place... I think it's kind of funny. I guess this game isn't for everybody

Totaltrash
12.31.2012 , 05:53 PM | #34
Quote: Originally Posted by internaty View Post
I am seeing this more and more.
People ninjalooting stuff for alts, companions, because there new.
etc etc etc.

While i know this isnt wow i am getting tired of losing good gear to ninja's who claim it is for there companion.

Anyone else bother by this anoying excuees to jusify ninjalooting?
There are no "rules of looting", period.

Easy solution to the problem:

Everybody needs on everything, regardless if you can or cannot use it, and let the random roll decide.
(applies to GF teams, not to premades or guild runs)

No more ninjas, no more whining, no more unenforable social convention - just fair and equal loot distribution!

Athena-Nike
12.31.2012 , 05:56 PM | #35
Quote: Originally Posted by Totaltrash View Post
There are no "rules of looting", period.

Easy solution to the problem:

Everybody needs on everything, regardless if you can or cannot use it, and let the random roll decide.
(applies to GF teams, not to premades or guild runs)

No more ninjas, no more whining, no more unenforable social convention - just fair and equal loot distribution!
Yes the solution to all our problems is to encourage rudeness, selfishness, and arrogance rather then encouraging civility, fairness, teamwork, and harmony. No wonder the world is going to hell

BobaTed
12.31.2012 , 07:07 PM | #36
Quote: Originally Posted by Athena-Nike View Post
Yes the solution to all our problems is to encourage rudeness, selfishness, and arrogance rather then encouraging civility, fairness, teamwork, and harmony. No wonder the world is going to hell
The need / greed system is inherently unfair. The only way to ensure fairness is to give everyone equal chance, which means everyone needing on everything. Or, of course, dropping need / greed for something more equitable.

This is not a social issue. This is a mechanics issue.

Athena-Nike
12.31.2012 , 09:00 PM | #37
Quote: Originally Posted by BobaTed View Post
The need / greed system is inherently unfair. The only way to ensure fairness is to give everyone equal chance, which means everyone needing on everything. Or, of course, dropping need / greed for something more equitable.

This is not a social issue. This is a mechanics issue.
The mechanics of the system are ambiguous, its all up to how people decide to use the system we have. Its a tool, its neither good nor bad all that is dependent on the person using it. People can either work towards being civil and amiable or rude and selfish, both fit the system. Now instead of everyone deciding that because a few people can't share they will start acting like jerks on purpose just out of spite and vengeance, we can just ignore those rude selfish few and continue being civil with one another in hopes that others will learn.

The fact that people are actually advocating needing everything regardless of the circumstances shows that this is a social issue not a mechanics issue. The mechanics allow for us to distribute items based on character needs, its the social part that turns the outcome unpleasant.

BobaTed
12.31.2012 , 10:46 PM | #38
The fact that people are actually advocating needing everything regardless of the circumstances shows that this is a social issue not a mechanics issue. The mechanics allow for us to distribute items based on character needs, its the social part that turns the outcome unpleasant.
As I've said before, it would be great if everyone would just get along, but that often just doesn't happen. Ok, sure, there's a social aspect - but it's not something that anyone's going to fix, certainly not by example, and especially not with a game mechanic that outright rewards selfish behavior.

If you're PUGging, and you want to ensure fairness, the only thing you can do, paradoxically, is tell everyone to need on everything. That's not being a selfish jerk, that's recognizing the game design for what it is. If you want to promote rules of fairness, that's fine - but don't expect them to be followed, and expect to lose out if you follow them yourself. If you're teaming with friends and guildies, people you have reason to trust, naturally that's a different situation - but that's not the sort of situation the OP (and others) are complaining about.

Personally, I'd rather see need / greed scrapped and replaced with something more inherently fair and equitable so that the issue just isn't an issue at all. The fewer potential sources of contention you have, the more positive the gaming experience for everyone.

Totaltrash
01.01.2013 , 07:07 AM | #39
Quite the contrary!
I propose this system of "everyone uses need" to avoid rudeness, selfishness, etc. and encourage fairness and harmony!

Ideally, the loot system would be such that each team member is rewarded individually for their effort.
But we don't have such system at the moment.

Hence, the next best thing to assure fair and equal loot distribution is via RNG rolls.
If you don't get the item, it's because of an unlucky roll, not a selfish teammate.

ziphii
01.01.2013 , 12:20 PM | #40
Quote: Originally Posted by Totaltrash View Post
Quite the contrary!
I propose this system of "everyone uses need" to avoid rudeness, selfishness, etc. and encourage fairness and harmony!

Ideally, the loot system would be such that each team member is rewarded individually for their effort.
But we don't have such system at the moment.

Hence, the next best thing to assure fair and equal loot distribution is via RNG rolls.
If you don't get the item, it's because of an unlucky roll, not a selfish teammate.
But with your system, I get stuck with an item I can't use or don't need, while some other team member gets the thing I needed, and they can't use. Not the best outcome, even if it has a sense of "fairness" to it