Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Gearing for EC HM

MasterGladius
12.27.2012 , 10:04 PM | #1
How do I go about getting geared for EC HM as a Shadow Tank? I have probably an average of Rakata gear, having some Columi, Rakata, and Black Hole gear in roughly equal proportions. I'm good with my spec, so that should be a non-issue. I'm still learning the op, but that'll come with study and practice. I'm just a bit nervous about my gear and want to improve it. I've cleared HM KP and EV already, as well as SM EC and TfB.

Please give me some guidance on how to improve my gear because I have some BH comms, but when I look at the items, even when upgrading from Columi, the actual bonuses seem pretty underwhelming. What stats should I be aiming for?

Kitru
12.27.2012 , 11:41 PM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by MasterGladius View Post
What stats should I be aiming for?
The very first thing you should do is make sure you're getting the 4 pc set bonus. The set bonuses are friggin' *amazing* for tanks, and any tank without them is crippling themselves in doing so.

The second thing you should do is look at all of your enhancements, ear, and implants. Get rid of anything that had accuracy on it and replace it with stuff that has both shield and absorb on it, even if it's lower tier (all of the Rakata tank gear has acc enhances; replace those with the enhs from the Columi gear since it's got shield/abs). The Rakata ear is terrible, but the implants are decent (BH for both ear and implant are safe and well itemized, so if you've got those, you're golden).

Third, if you haven't already, augment your gear: as a Shadow, you should be using Defense and Absorb augments (you want to keep your Def and Abs ratings roughly equal); you'll get all of the Endurance and Shield rating you need from your gear tangentially so there's no point wasting itemization on it that could be put to use getting more defense or absorb (which are in comparatively shorter supply).

Lastly, make sure you get a heal proc relic for one of your relic slots; the campaign one costs 200 daily comms and the DG one costs 300. For your second relic slot, you can go with either the absorb proc relic (as I do), a passive PvP Defense relic, or one of the use relics (I recommend the Campaign shield/abs relic if you're going to use one because it's the best one with a 30 sec duration).

Once you've taken care of all or most of that, you'll be set for it.
Walls of Text? I *love* Walls of Text!
My New Class Idea
Shadow Class Rep - Suggest/Review Questions Here
Quote: Originally Posted by Fende View Post
Listen to Kitru. Kitru knows all.

Kajuana
12.28.2012 , 08:18 AM | #3
Kitru, why do you use the heal relic?
The STILLWATER Legacy @ LAST BASTION
Kajuana 55 SHADOW, Katherina 50 SENTINEL, Shadowraith 50 SCOUNDREL, Kyhina 50 COMMANDO

Kitru
12.28.2012 , 08:45 AM | #4
Quote: Originally Posted by Kajuana View Post
Kitru, why do you use the heal relic?
The consistent ~22 hp/sec it provides more comparative survivability than what any other relic would provide otherwise (since it applies to all attack types, not just M/R). It probably helps that I like having power on my relics and, of all of the DG tier relics, it's the only one for Shadow tanks that has it.
My New Class Idea

MasterGladius
12.28.2012 , 03:04 PM | #5
Thanks for the brief overview. So there aren't any magic numbers to be looking for in DR, Defense, Shield, or Absorb I should be striving for?

Kitru
12.28.2012 , 03:27 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by MasterGladius View Post
Thanks for the brief overview. So there aren't any magic numbers to be looking for in DR, Defense, Shield, or Absorb I should be striving for?
30/65/60 is the generic answer to "what should my def/shield/abs chance be" but tweaking on that level isn't necessary until you're actually in DG/Camp gear. As it stands, it's more important to cover the things I mentioned before.
My New Class Idea

Maelicbod
12.28.2012 , 05:00 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Kitru View Post
30/65/60 is the generic answer to "what should my def/shield/abs chance be" but tweaking on that level isn't necessary until you're actually in DG/Camp gear. As it stands, it's more important to cover the things I mentioned before.
The 65% shield, is that including the assumed 20% from kinetic ward?

Kitru
12.28.2012 , 05:10 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Maelicbod View Post
The 65% shield, is that including the assumed 20% from kinetic ward?
Yes. In general, any numbers as such are provided assuming any buffs you can have on a functionally passive basis (so it includes the 20% from KW, but similar numbers for other classes don't include the +3% defense for Guardian Riposte or 8% absorb for VG shield screen because those can't be generated outside of having a target to beat on).
My New Class Idea

Missandei
12.29.2012 , 11:28 AM | #9
Quote: Originally Posted by Kitru View Post
Yes. In general, any numbers as such are provided assuming any buffs you can have on a functionally passive basis (so it includes the 20% from KW, but similar numbers for other classes don't include the +3% defense for Guardian Riposte or 8% absorb for VG shield screen because those can't be generated outside of having a target to beat on).
I advise to stick on «30/45/60» definition as a less confusing for most readers.
Just because you refer 30/../60 as direct values from character sheet. And ../65/.. are based on «imaginary» value..
or at least the reference should be posted as 30 / 45(65) / 60
Missandei Shadow ...yet shadows can kill. And oft-times a very small man can cast a very large shadow.

MasterGladius
12.29.2012 , 11:34 AM | #10
I saw you say you like to have power on relics. I am looking at the difference between the black hole gloves (better Willpower) and Black Hole headgear (better Endurance). I'm thinking that the Endurance would be better for a tank, but I wanted to be sure before I blow all of my commendations on the wrong mods/enhancements.

On the other hand, the gloves are 10 comms apiece cheaper, which is pretty significant if you are buying 6 of them.