Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Why is the JC story bashed? (Unhidden Spoilers)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Why is the JC story bashed? (Unhidden Spoilers)

SuperGrunt
12.29.2012 , 04:22 PM | #41
Quote: Originally Posted by SithKoriandr View Post
The title of the thread has (Unhidden Spoilers) in it. Why would people use spoiler tags, when the thread itself says "hey, not using them"
A. You are supposed to use them, there is a button to add them for a reason.
B. The standard procedure for posting spoiler alerts in a title is to post them in front of your title so that it shows on the community page.
C. And lastly so that someone who clicks on the previously mentioned link and doesn't realize that there are spoilers in the thread, doesn't come into the thread and see said spoilers without clicking on the show spoiler button.

But that's ok I can just report the thread and get Bioware to correct the issue thanks.
My propsed changes to Loot Rules.
My Twitch channel, both a link and the address so you can choose how you visit it. twitch.tv/otawo

Master-Nala
12.29.2012 , 05:44 PM | #42
Quote: Originally Posted by SuperGrunt View Post
C. And lastly so that someone who clicks on the previously mentioned link and doesn't realize that there are spoilers in the thread, doesn't come into the thread and see said spoilers without clicking on the show spoiler button.

But that's ok I can just report the thread and get Bioware to correct the issue thanks.
As an aside, if I had posted this thread in the Spoilers sub-forum (which I have no problem if they move the thread to), you still wouldn't know it had spoilers unless you clicked on it. Sub-forum posts show up on the main community page under their main heading.

The only complete way to avoid spoilers is to stay out of the Story forum because really, it's kind of hard to talk about the story without some busybody coming in complaining about spoilers!
Below this is my referral link. If you press it you get free stuff and I get free stuff. This makes you, me....and Bioware happy, but don't let that stop you!
Referral Link---> http://www.swtor.com/r/fDdy48 <---Referral Link

Master-Nala
12.29.2012 , 05:49 PM | #43
Quote: Originally Posted by Ranadiel_Marius View Post
As a side note, I feel it is necessary to point out that the SW actually managed to avoid the repetition present in the other storylines somewhat by making the two sets of two planets have different objectives.
The Sith Warrior story is almost in a class by itself. It's the second story I did, and I still think it's by far the best. Its Act II is the weakest, but it's still better than most. So I agree with you.
Below this is my referral link. If you press it you get free stuff and I get free stuff. This makes you, me....and Bioware happy, but don't let that stop you!

SuperGrunt
12.29.2012 , 07:57 PM | #44
Quote: Originally Posted by Master-Nala View Post
As an aside, if I had posted this thread in the Spoilers sub-forum (which I have no problem if they move the thread to), you still wouldn't know it had spoilers unless you clicked on it. Sub-forum posts show up on the main community page under their main heading.

The only complete way to avoid spoilers is to stay out of the Story forum because really, it's kind of hard to talk about the story without some busybody coming in complaining about spoilers!
As I said in my previous post putting the Spoiler in the front would have actually put it on the community main page.
My propsed changes to Loot Rules.
My Twitch channel, both a link and the address so you can choose how you visit it. twitch.tv/otawo

Darka
12.30.2012 , 04:24 AM | #45
JC was my first class, and after looking back it is so far my least enjoyed class
Felt a little all over the place, and the companions especially always seemed well pointless and uninteresting to me, none i found were inspired choices that would have convinced me to go on my ship, but you have 3 ways to say yes when it happens.

I put it down to personal preference, the Smuggler was the second class i rolled and it was by far the much better story, with interesting companions, bad guys and twist.

ekimmak
12.30.2012 , 04:59 AM | #46
I didn't mind the story that much, but I played a sage. A shadow does not make sense in that first act, there's no other way to put it.

Probably my biggest problem with the story was the consular herself. There were times were I had my own opinion about the situation, but I couldn't give it. Late in Correllia, you take down a child of the emperor, and the First Son says mockingly that "a real jedi master would have tried to redeem them", and I can't point out that they all attack me straight out, despite having no experience or training. Furthermore, I can't really tell what consulars were based off. Every other class is obvious in who they're based off (with the exception of agents, but I'll ignore that).

I don't think the story is bad, per se, I just don't think it's too impressive.
Best way to end Smuggler Act 1 is
Spoiler

You can't make up stuff like that.

Master-Nala
12.30.2012 , 08:50 AM | #47
Quote: Originally Posted by Darka View Post
JC was my first class, and after looking back it is so far my least enjoyed class
Felt a little all over the place, and the companions especially always seemed well pointless and uninteresting to me, none i found were inspired choices that would have convinced me to go on my ship, but you have 3 ways to say yes when it happens.

I put it down to personal preference, the Smuggler was the second class i rolled and it was by far the much better story, with interesting companions, bad guys and twist.
I think this thread has made it clear to me, that the emphasized text is it. Folks don't like it because they don't like it. And that I can understand. I think that what I was getting hung up on was that people were saying the story was poorly written while saying that stories like the Agent story was a masterpiece.

But folks aren't looking at the stories from the standpoint of whether they are good stories, they are looking at them from the perspective of stories they want to play as the main character. It's goes back to role. It's not that the consular story is poorly written, it's the fact that the consular story is written (well) about Jedi consulars.

Xienive
12.30.2012 , 09:03 AM | #48
Most people say it goes with the planet story well, but honestly I just felt like as a Consular I was doing two planet stories rather than a planet and a class story...past act I anyway.

One thing about the story is the anti heroic feel...it is the only class story where technically you grow weaker and weaker (from healing other Jedi) instead of stronger. Gradually getting weaker isn't exciting at all...this is assuming you play light side as the writers probably inteded. I haven't played dark.
No disintegrations!
As you wish...

Master-Nala
12.30.2012 , 09:14 AM | #49
Quote: Originally Posted by Xienive View Post
Most people say it goes with the planet story well, but honestly I just felt like as a Consular I was doing two planet stories rather than a planet and a class story...past act I anyway.
Yes, that's very true of Act II. Effectively in Act II, you are sealing the deal while the other classes are supporting your efforts while doing their own thing.

Quote:
One thing about the story is the anti heroic feel...it is the only class story where technically you grow weaker and weaker (from healing other Jedi) instead of stronger. Gradually getting weaker isn't exciting at all...this is assuming you play light side as the writers probably inteded. I haven't played dark.
I was just thinking of this and there's a comment I would make. You are not 'healing' the masters. You're shielding them. You are pushing the darkness out and away from them. But then your second sentence is what I've come to conclude. Folks don't like their character having to do that. That's cool.

But Yoda said it best:

Quote: Originally Posted by Master Yoda
A Jedi must have the deepest commitment, the most serious mind. This one a long time have I watched. All his life has he looked away... to the future, to the horizon. Never his mind on where he was. Hmm? What he was doing. Hmph. Adventure. Heh. Excitement. Heh. A Jedi craves not these things.
A Jedi does not crave these things, but MMORPG players do.

errant_knight
12.30.2012 , 11:43 AM | #50
I just started chapter 2 (which starts awesomely! Stayed up until 3am until I got far enough to stop at Balmorra), and I really don't understand why people don't like this story. Well...no, I do. Like the Jedi Knight story, and unlike the imperial stories in which danger and betrayal take focus front and center, the main theme relates to what it means to be a jedi, on philosophy and moral stance, on choices and their personal meaning. These are stories that take some thought to fully appreciate their themes.

In the case of the knight story, the focus is on the ever-present danger of the darkside, not in battle, but in one's self. As the story progresses, it seems increasingly reasonable to put aside adherence to the code because of the extremity of the situation. It can even feel right and necessary. The question there is 'how much can one risk for an ideal?' and the nature of victory.

In the Consular story, that internal struggle is focused on ideas about strength, weakness and self-sacrifice.
That dialogue begins early, on Tython, when you
Spoiler
What's more important, defeating the darkside or the code? How much should the order risk to maintain the purity of that code?

As the story progresses, you're forced to choose between yourself and others in a variety of situations--between
Spoiler

It's not that cut and dried, though. Eventually you find out that
Spoiler
Was their choice correct in the light of what they faced, or a betrayal of everything the order stands for?

At the end of chapter one, you receive an interesting bit of foreshadowing in the form of a warning that no matter how much the Order seems to value you, they'll turn on you in the same way. You're advised to not only resist the rage of the dark, but being blinded by the light. You then find yourself out in the galaxy where one of the first things you see is
Spoiler

I can't wait to see these ideas put into play in this next chapter. This exploration is making for some great rp and character development.

I haven't read this thread, since I don't want to see spoliers, and won't read after I post this until I'm done so I don't know how others saw this or which of these ideas have been discussed, but I'm enjoying this story immensely. Each of the stories has something different and awesome to offer and when we expect the same from each, we do them a disservice.