Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Why is the JC story bashed? (Unhidden Spoilers)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Why is the JC story bashed? (Unhidden Spoilers)

Pubsam
12.28.2012 , 11:38 AM | #21
I like the JC story alright, but there are some pretty obvious weaknesses.

I think the main one is that while the Act I of all the classes are repetitive, the JC is the worst offender. Sure, everyone has the same general thing, and each planet has a twist and fallout to deal with, and usually ends with a big moral, character-defining decision. For the JC, that big decision is always the same - to shield or to kill. Moral decisions help me color my characters - give them nuances that make them more interesting. So not only is the story more boring because you're always being confronted by the exact same decision, your character is more boring as well.

You could say that the BH, like the consular, is confronted by similar decisions a lot - whether to kill their rivals/bounties or not. And while the literal decision is the same, the circumstances never are. Some of your enemies are jerks, some are comical, some are nice. So while my decision-type was pretty consistent, my decisions weren't and my character gained that nuance that I enjoy. For the JC every decision involves an innocent victim and the decision to self-sacrifice - so what you decide to do with the first Jedi master is what you'll do for the next, and the next, etc.

Further, while I didn't play a DS JC, the motivations behind playing one are pretty much limited to comical evil insanity. Not saying it's bad to play a cartoonishly insane character (my SW is one), but my SW story also lends itself to calculatingly evil, brutal but honorable, etc. Since the JC is consistently handed the exact same moral decision, and the DS version of the choice is EXTREMELY DS, it is difficult in Act I to play a gray or slightly dark JC that makes sense.

Also, there being no repercussion for taking the LS choice really detracts from the story IMO. Shielding master after master became a non-choice when I didn't actually have to sacrifice anything, and made a boring decision even MORE boring. I can understand they didn't include any drawbacks in anticipation of a lot of crying, but I think they should have tried. Hell, what you go through on Voss was a great example of a minor drawback they could've used.

So while I like my do-gooder Sage, and enjoyed Act II and III well enough, Act I really is poorly written. It's good in concept, and personally I don't think it really starts to get boring until after the 3rd planet or so, when you're practically done. I actually like it better than JK Act I, since while the decision is boring, it felt more Jedi I suppose.
Time for a nap.

Desri
12.28.2012 , 02:25 PM | #22
Yeah that makes sense. It's true the JK has to kill someone in self-defense early on in the game and is pursued for the rest of the chapter which was kind of weird like the BH. I'm still on Belsavis with my Shadow so I don't know what comes next although where i'm at makes me think, "YIkes! Don't do that!" It was repetitive in Chapter 1 for sure.

Master-Nala
12.28.2012 , 05:09 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Pubsam View Post
I like the JC story alright, but there are some pretty obvious weaknesses.

I think the main one is that while the Act I of all the classes are repetitive, the JC is the worst offender. Sure, everyone has the same general thing, and each planet has a twist and fallout to deal with, and usually ends with a big moral, character-defining decision. For the JC, that big decision is always the same - to shield or to kill. Moral decisions help me color my characters - give them nuances that make them more interesting. So not only is the story more boring because you're always being confronted by the exact same decision, your character is more boring as well.
I think this encapsulates what I find maddening about this critique of the JC story. In absolutely no case is the decision solely about whether to kill or shield the master. Throughout the JC quests on Taris, Nar Shaddaa, Tatooine and Alderaan, while the ultimate decision is what to do about the master at issue, how you get there can be different. For example, on Alderaan:

Spoiler

That said, everyone is entitled to look at the story differently and I appreciate your comments.
HARBINGER-60s
Alana, Myschal, Vodoun

Ausstig
12.28.2012 , 06:08 PM | #24
I didn't mind act 1.

But Act two is probably the most disappointing act on the Republic side.

I thought the attack on the separatists, aka 'Rift Alliance' was a Republic 'false flag operation', basically attacking people trying to leave and trick them into think the Empire did it, but no it was the Sith, for some reason that I am still not clear they decided to kill rather then send diplomates. I played the Empire Classes first, all of which dealt with the politics of the nation in some way, often very shady, and I thought the JC would do that as well. But it didn't they was no twist no traitors, no one who felt the Republic had let them down once too often, no the spy was the child of the Emperor ( I was playing JK as well so I knew what it was), with some unknown power to conceal itself. It was just a black and white morality piece and got boring very quickly.
Have Force lightning will travel

VigDiath
12.28.2012 , 06:40 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by sithgreyguard View Post
Cool children of the empire! now i have to get my jc alt to 50. I also like that Bastila is in story.
This was one of the coolest things I liked about the JC story. You see not only her (Bastila) but also

Spoiler

which is a great reveal in this game! I loved the Consular story and have done it twice already. The only story I've found boring so far is the Trooper. Smuggler story was awesome and right now getting a kick out of my Inquisitor storyline since I just picked up Asharra.
Jedi Covenant (The Baltimore Legacy)
Laaron - 55 (Shadow Tank) Eulora - 55 (Sage Healer)
Madmartygan - 55 (Guardian DPS) Skylaadawn - 55 (Sab Smug)
Akon - 55 (Carnage Marauder) L'aron - 53 (Sorc Healer)

Path-x
12.28.2012 , 06:42 PM | #26
Well the crucial part is that I am an "Empire guy" so playing the republic classes isn't my cup of tea. Nevertheless I finished all 4 republic storylines and I found JC the most boring. Not to mention I guessed who the first son is way before I came to the revelation. So when the plot twist happened I was like "how predictable...".
Jedi: You won the day, Sith. So, kill me if you must.
Warrior: I must.

Rhynien
12.28.2012 , 11:25 PM | #27
This may get long winded. I apologize in advance.

JC was my first class to 50, and in the time since, I've gotten a SW and IA to 50. I duoed the JC with a JK all the way up, so I have seen the vast majority of that story as well, barring a few CS that don't play (holocalls, etc). I can safely say of those four, the JC was easily the weakest story for me. There are several, several reasons, and I tend to ramble all day when this is brought up. I'll try to keep it concise.

Act 1: I actually enjoyed the premise of this act moreso than the following two. What completely gutted it, however, was the fact that choosing to shield each master had zero consequence whatsoever. Your companions and others keep impressing on you how this is risky and you could easily kill yourself but absolutely nothing happens. As mentioned by someone else earlier in the thread, if they'd even done a temporary thing like Voss, that would have been something, but they didn't. I never had any kind of weakness or consequence as a result of my choice to save these masters, ostensibly with my own life force. This is supposed to be a unique, rare power, and yet the consequences weren't just glossed over, they were largely ignored other than lip service. Except for Voss. I appreciated that, but then again Voss is good on every character I've had at that point so far. There should have been some kind of consequence, and that alone might have solidified Act 1, at the very least, as a good plot.

Er, Persona 3 spoiler ahead, doubt anyone cares but:
Spoiler

The Rift Alliance: I didn't care about them at all. I'm completely serious. The only people I really cared about was Nadia and her father, and the outcome of that little arc was moving somewhat. The rest of them, I can't even remember their names, or what they wanted. The only impression I can remember lingering to now was that for the most part they were typically whiny political types and I wanted to airlock them. (Thank you, President Roslyn for making airlock a verb. <3)

The Emperor's Children: This was another plot thread that had potential, but fell flat for me somehow. The twist I kind of saw coming, unfortunately, which probably deflated it a bit for me. But aside from that, each of them, I suppose I was meant to feel some kind of pity for, or something, but mostly I just didn't. Again. I can't really offer a solid logic behind why for this particular instance, so I can understand if you dismiss this particular reason as trifling.

Duoing with a JK all the way to 50 certainly didn't help me, as I found what was going on in his story infinitely more riveting than my own, which only served to magnify my boredom, I believe. Personally, in a story, I like to have my characters go through some really rough patches, often with bad things happening to them. If there are never any real dire consequences in a story (or ones only mentioned and never seen) it tends to come out feeling flat overall to me. I suppose I like the 'trial by fire' thing.

JK/IA spoilers:
Spoiler

Last, the romances. To be frank I'm not that into the LIs for nearly any of the female classes, but the JC has probably some of the least interesting. Tharan is the type of 'charmer' that is actually more irritating than not to me, and that doesn't go anywhere, regardless. Iresso really didn't intrigue me much, either. Zenith would have made an actual interesting romance, but was sadly unavailable.

Long story short: Had Act 1 had the consequences they kept harping on, I would probably rank the overall JC story somewhat better than I currently do. As is, it's definitely at the bottom of the list of the ones I've finished/seen finished so far.

Pubsam
12.29.2012 , 12:23 AM | #28
Quote: Originally Posted by Master-Nala View Post
I think this encapsulates what I find maddening about this critique of the JC story. In absolutely no case is the decision solely about whether to kill or shield the master.
I didn't say that individual planets didn't have their little subplots and complications. Every class story experiences this. These subplots are baseline, and for each class they serve an overarching plot. The overarching plot is what I'm criticizing - for the JC it is incredibly repetitive. I compared it to the BH's story because that story also has a repetitive overarching story. This kind of story is naturally boring, and I think BH Act I is one of the weaker stories because of it, but it is still better written and more interesting than JC Act I.

Sure, the subplots can be fun, and you're right there are some interesting decisions in there, but a good subplot can only go so far when the main story is tiresome. For most classes I've played I've found the overall class story much more interesting that whatever side adventures I have on planets. The fact that these subplots are the HIGHLIGHT of JC Act I is a problem. Not saying they don't have their merits, but they don't somehow fix the poor execution of Act I's main plot.

I do however, I still LIKE Act I. But I'm not gonna pretend it's well-written. I like lots of crappy things.
Time for a nap.

Projawa
12.29.2012 , 12:51 AM | #29
I just finished the JC story after having completed the other 7 stories. I don't get why it's bashed more than the others. Act1 was ok, Act2-3 were pretty good. The companions are interesting and playing as a dark side consular does work contrary to has been said in the past.

In order of preference: warrior, agent, inquisitor, knight, smuggler, consular, trooper, bh

Laris_Rai
12.29.2012 , 07:05 AM | #30
I loved the JC. And come on, if saving the infected had actually made the character weaker in mechanics people would have had endless fits. It's gameplay and story segragation. Live with it.

I thought learning more about the Force and having the totally unique role in the Order was awesome. And I didn't think being a Shadow worked against the story at all. I saw myself as the mysterious Jedi hero who appears from nowhere, saves the day and is gone again.
"Buy the ticket, take the ride." - Hunter S. Thompson