Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Swtor mods

ElitehunterDS
12.27.2012 , 12:09 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Eldrenath View Post
it displayed both the total price AND the price per unit.
Highlight buyout price for stacks, unit price will be there.
Retiring from SWTOR August 2013

Sev'ra Level 55 Sith Assassin {Deception spec}
Tempest (Prophecy of the Five)

Lium
12.27.2012 , 01:04 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by Aikes_Itso View Post
T I want my time to be spent effficiently, not irritated because I have to quest to make money...
Snipped the rest because this is exactly why they don't allow mods in SWTOR. You need to play the game as it was meant to be played. Mods quite often give players an unfair advantage. This is why some mods in WoW are no longer allowed. It got to the point in that game where mods could virtually play your character for you.

Now, your gripes about the GTN sound legit. I couldn't care less about the market and hardly ever go there, but I know a lot of people do. A mod allowing for searching, buying and selling items more efficiently might be a good idea based on what I've read about the lack of the GTN's functionality.

But again, it's a slippery slope. Once you do that then it becomes a "mandatory" mod that you have to have to be competitive.

Aikes_Itso
12.27.2012 , 01:10 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Lium View Post
Snipped the rest because this is exactly why they don't allow mods in SWTOR. You need to play the game as it was meant to be played. Mods quite often give players an unfair advantage. This is why some mods in WoW are no longer allowed. It got to the point in that game where mods could virtually play your character for you.

Now, your gripes about the GTN sound legit. I couldn't care less about the market and hardly ever go there, but I know a lot of people do. A mod allowing for searching, buying and selling items more efficiently might be a good idea based on what I've read about the lack of the GTN's functionality.

But again, it's a slippery slope. Once you do that then it becomes a "mandatory" mod that you have to have to be competitive.
Great points. Thank you and the rest for your input. I think it boils down to sloppy game mechanics and sloppy programming to have a trade market as bad as what is provided in this game currently and if that is resolved at some point I and those who feel the same will have a lot less to gripe about. Good luck in your game.

Dampylle
12.27.2012 , 01:31 PM | #14
I do not think that mods are the way to solve this issue.

As has been mentioned the issue with mods can be expressed a few ways.

The first and possibly the most concerning is the way it skews the experience. Once upon a time I know that WoW had third party apps that could tabulate average prices right down to a per server basis. More than that they even partially automated the use of the Auction House in terms of listings. When you skew a function that far, to the point of automation, you create a sort of split in the player base. Those who play with an advantage and those who do not. The problem there is it creates a situation where may now need to play with said mods to be on even footing because of the advantages it creates.

The second problem is on the back end. As has been mentioned allowing third party applications is a slippery slope because it can be difficult to curtail access to the software once they can plug in. So what happens when things go beyond what the developer thought of or had in mind? What happens when you can create map overlays that track specific mobs even beyond the size of the mini map (There is such an app for FFXI, unsupported by the devs of course) or even further to apps that can trigger a macro to get claim on a mob literally as it spawns by reacting to the server or client code before the mob can actually spawn on screen (claim bots are not exactly a new idea after all). Then you have clear and unfair advantages between those who use them and those who do not and things have spiraled well beyond the intention of the devs. So they have to either curtail the usage and find ways to detect such mods, or they have to yank mods all together.

Generally speaking neither situation is ideal. On one hand your "best case" creates classes of players where some just have what could be argued an unfair advantage.... and your worst case that "advantage" becomes game breaking to the point the dev has to take action. It becomes a lose lose scenario.

Ideally the best solution to complaints about a market place or even an interface is not to let a random third party make a mod... but rather to give feed back and suggestion and for the developer to then act on them.

In short, it makes more sense to upgrade/fix the market place to be on par with games like RIFT rather than implement third party access that could lead to more problems down the road.

AsheraII
12.27.2012 , 02:17 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by Dampylle View Post
I do not think that mods are the way to solve this issue.

As has been mentioned the issue with mods can be expressed a few ways.

The first and possibly the most concerning is the way it skews the experience. Once upon a time I know that WoW had third party apps that could tabulate average prices right down to a per server basis. More than that they even partially automated the use of the Auction House in terms of listings. When you skew a function that far, to the point of automation, you create a sort of split in the player base. Those who play with an advantage and those who do not. The problem there is it creates a situation where may now need to play with said mods to be on even footing because of the advantages it creates.

The second problem is on the back end. As has been mentioned allowing third party applications is a slippery slope because it can be difficult to curtail access to the software once they can plug in. So what happens when things go beyond what the developer thought of or had in mind? What happens when you can create map overlays that track specific mobs even beyond the size of the mini map (There is such an app for FFXI, unsupported by the devs of course) or even further to apps that can trigger a macro to get claim on a mob literally as it spawns by reacting to the server or client code before the mob can actually spawn on screen (claim bots are not exactly a new idea after all). Then you have clear and unfair advantages between those who use them and those who do not and things have spiraled well beyond the intention of the devs. So they have to either curtail the usage and find ways to detect such mods, or they have to yank mods all together.

Generally speaking neither situation is ideal. On one hand your "best case" creates classes of players where some just have what could be argued an unfair advantage.... and your worst case that "advantage" becomes game breaking to the point the dev has to take action. It becomes a lose lose scenario.

Ideally the best solution to complaints about a market place or even an interface is not to let a random third party make a mod... but rather to give feed back and suggestion and for the developer to then act on them.

In short, it makes more sense to upgrade/fix the market place to be on par with games like RIFT rather than implement third party access that could lead to more problems down the road.
This, basically. Some things, like the GTN are far from ideal regarding their UI. But that doesn't suddenly mean that we need third party addons. It simply means the interface for that part of the game needs some more work, to make it more intuitive and userfriendly.
Now, a perfect interface will never happen. Some people prefer it one way, others would rather access it from a different angle. Still, sometimes both directions can be integrated within the same interface, WHILE keeping that interface intuitive.

Just compare the interface for our GTN with the market from EVE. They function exactly the same, except that the one from EVE uses a tree-view structure to browse it and find specific items, while TOR uses drop down box selections. Both have their merrits, both have their problems.. The one from EVE is definitely more intuitive, though with the amount of items available, it's not really more userfriendly. I'd classify the one from TOR as neither intuitive nor userfriendly. It definitely has a lot of the features it needs to narrow down a search, but we have to explain how it works in general chat at least a few times a day.

I know, I can't think up a better system for this game right away either, I'd really have to sit down for a while to come up with something fitting with the overall interface design. Though the developers could definitely add some features already to improve things, like the ability to drag an item into the search window and automatically filling in all information for that item, so you just need to hit search, or maybe tweak the search information to widen your results, so you can also search for similar items, instead of only identical ones.
. . . . . . ▀‼▀▀▀▀
__=##(▀▀[Φ]▀▀▀▀‼‼▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀‼▀▀!
|####/ ( /==|####/

ckoneful
12.27.2012 , 02:33 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Urael View Post
While I agree with you on your comments about the GTN, I too hate mods.

I hate the fact that in "WoW" for instance that to "play effectively" now one "must have" mods (or so it would seem). This is the impression one gets when attempting to do most things with "guilds". Don't have the right mods and you won't get a slot to raid, etc. I find mods to be a crutch. Play the game as intended.
You don't NEED mods to play, I personally only use them to clean up my UI and I've been apart of top 100 US kills and such in the past and was quite the dedicated hardcore raider for years.

Hell, I remember killing Archimonde with no UI mods as a healer because they broke midraid for some reason.

Urael
12.27.2012 , 02:37 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by ckoneful View Post
You don't NEED mods to play, I personally only use them to clean up my UI and I've been apart of top 100 US kills and such in the past and was quite the dedicated hardcore raider for years.

Hell, I remember killing Archimonde with no UI mods as a healer because they broke midraid for some reason.
I agree you don't NEED mods to play. I don't play with any mods. There are guilds that REQUIRE certain mods or you don't get to Raid. Period. End of Story. That is why I am happy there are no Mods, Gear Score Checker, nor damage meters in SWTOR. Helps to reign in the "elitist jerks" that say play their way or no way at all for you.

ckoneful
12.27.2012 , 02:43 PM | #18
I agree you don't NEED mods to play. I don't play with any mods. There are guilds that REQUIRE certain mods or you don't get to Raid. Period. End of Story. That is why I am happy there are no Mods, Gear Score Checker, nor damage meters in SWTOR. Helps to reign in the "elitist jerks" that say play their way or no way at all for you.
And most of those guilds aren't good guilds. As I said, I've been apart of what's considered a decent kill time and I've done some of those without DBM. Also, DBM isn't even updated to be correct until a week or 2 in anyways. People play up the mods in WoW way too much, they DO NOT play the game for you and if you're doing anything remotely serious they're generally useless besides for cleaning up your UI.

Urael
12.27.2012 , 02:47 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by ckoneful View Post
And most of those guilds aren't good guilds. As I said, I've been apart of what's considered a decent kill time and I've done some of those without DBM. Also, DBM isn't even updated to be correct until a week or 2 in anyways. People play up the mods in WoW way too much, they DO NOT play the game for you and if you're doing anything remotely serious they're generally useless besides for cleaning up your UI.
So basically we are in violent agreement then.

Lullas
12.27.2012 , 03:08 PM | #20
There are damage meters that you can run simultaneously with your game, that if you run in windows mode can show you up to date information.

I understand like any tool it can (and in an MMO community, will be) abused, but damage meters in of themselves are not bad things. They allow people to evaluate their performance and try to really get the most out of their character. Personally I started to enjoy this game 10x more once I found out how to run the damage meter while in game and have that information, because I LOVE to dps, and I LOVE getting the most out of my character and pushing the limits of what he is capable of.

Using it as a "hurrr 1800dps or ****" measuring stick is where people get the stigma from and rightly so. It just needs to be used appropriately.