Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Swtor mods

Radzkie
02.01.2013 , 12:26 AM | #91
Quote: Originally Posted by Rezakh View Post
Present day gaming companies have turned to not allowing modding so that they can charge players for DLC packs with little to no content and some cosmetic stuff. It's not a necessity in terms of functionality, but they have a lot of gamers fooled into thinking that its cheaper for them. No, they can just charge you more for giving you less.
Bingo.

Why no mods? Because money.

eldefail
02.01.2013 , 12:38 AM | #92
Quote: Originally Posted by AshlaBoga View Post
Given how little SWTOR staff interact with the players you're best off making your own mods and then providing instructions.

But honestly, even the GTN's lack of price/unit doesn't really annoy me - what exactly are these mods supposed to be for?
The quality of life things like further UI customization and PPU at the GTN, things like that.

I do fully agree with others that I do not want TOR to open the bossmods/damage meters/threat meters can of worms, or castsequence/rotation macros. I would like modifier macros though, so I can bind my M key to mount, shift+m to a sprint, and ctrl+m to jet boost so I can put them all effectively on the same key and save some action bar real estate. Same would go for some other abilities. Some classes have some wild ability bloat going on that makes it hard to keep a minimalistic interface when you have 3-4 action bars cluttering up the screen.

CarpeSangrea
02.01.2013 , 01:17 AM | #93
I'd be happy with mouseover healing, so I wasn't always having to click on unit frames then casting my heal as two seperate actions.

Also, being able to macro things like emotes would be cool. This would greatly widen the appeal of cartel-based emotes as well, because not everyone would buy something they have to manually type in every...single...time.

AshlaBoga
02.01.2013 , 11:52 AM | #94
Quote: Originally Posted by CarpeSangrea View Post
I'd be happy with mouseover healing, so I wasn't always having to click on unit frames then casting my heal as two seperate actions.

Also, being able to macro things like emotes would be cool. This would greatly widen the appeal of cartel-based emotes as well, because not everyone would buy something they have to manually type in every...single...time.
Okay, yeah the current system is getting on my nerves. /Inquisitor and /bountyhunter should be bindable or something.

Anyone want to start making some mods?
Typhojem Legacy, Jung Ma server
VICIOUS
Lord of Corruption
Click my Referral Code for free goodies!

JymmyMorison
02.01.2013 , 12:11 PM | #95
Just two mods i would like first something like the enb series mods for skyrim with graphics updates, second hd textures, and then just to make pvp playable someone figuring out how to optimize the engine for multi core/thread cpu's

Jeweledleah
02.01.2013 , 12:20 PM | #96
Quote: Originally Posted by Rezakh View Post
Did you ever play any of the old turn based strategy games, Master of Orion/MOO2, warlords, etc.? Didnt get into heroes of might and magic much or the old warcrafts when they came along.

I did play a lot of starcraft and did a bunch of map making then, but the tools were limited to what's been available the last 5 or so years. Modded MOO2 to death, too.
until heroes, I was mostly playing adventure games with occasional foray into original wolfenstein, but even after, not too many. played a little lords of the realm, was addicted to deadlock for a short time, watched SO playing panzer general. between having to share the computer for ... far too long and generally being a gamer who doesn't play as many games but plays the heck out of the ones that make it into to be played pile, I missed out on some of the classics (played Starcraft though - that game was played a lot - on easy difficulty mind you and with a lot of reloading, because SO got me sick with this "no casualties, unless impossible" disease :P I did mess around with mapmaking there a bit as well, but not much). I still wish GoG would get their hands on Dungeon Keeper gold already. I still have my discs, but I haven't been able to make them work and then there was time when Blizzard owned my soul with Diablo. and lets not talk about my magic the gathering obsession O_O (the original pc game, I tried new ones and it just wasn't the same, too much flash for me)

its really a shame that developers haven't been releasing tools as much, well other then Valve. modding single player games is fun you get whatever experience you wish to have, without affecting anyone else in a process.
I'm honestly hoping that bioware will implement at least some things for SWTOR, mousover casting and better customization of raid frames (including buffs and debuffs) would be my biggest wish. I'm willing to be patient though.

TheIronMonkey
02.01.2013 , 12:27 PM | #97
I started reading the thread and I don't understand the hate/love issue with mods.
There are different types of mods. In other games (ROM) I use UI mods to setup my screen better for my taste, and I don't see how that makes any damage to the game. With modifiable UI on SWTOR they basically added that. I don't edit my UI. I downloaded one I liked and I use it on all my toons.

Then there is the GTN. Again, what would be the problem if somebody makes a better search engine for the GTN? Is obviously low on the list of issues for BW, so why not let the community add value? And, in the end, you DONT have ot use it if you don't want to.

It is the game mechanics mods that modify HOW you play that affect others. And then, I ask you, does the guy with a gaming mouse or side device doesn't have an advantage already? And if so, do we all have to go out and get one to be competitive? Does the guy with a better computer have an advantage already? This is hardly a level playing field, and never will be.

I also disagree with the addition of macros or other mods that affect gameplay mechanics unless they become an addition to the game for ALL to use. And this is another road : BW should take advantage of the community, allow some of these mods to develop (GTN, UI, etc) and then, if good, incorporate them to the game as an option. That way the whole community helps itself. Doesn't anybody remember where CounterStrike came from?

I believe participation on the content and function of the game creates a more solid and loyal community in the long run. Much more than pets and floating chairs.
I don't know if this is a Sith thing, but at the beginning of every game conversation my first thought is "You are so dead"...

Dysalawt
02.11.2013 , 02:26 AM | #98
Quote: Originally Posted by TheIronMonkey View Post
I started reading the thread and I don't understand the hate/love issue with mods.
There are different types of mods. In other games (ROM) I use UI mods to setup my screen better for my taste, and I don't see how that makes any damage to the game. With modifiable UI on SWTOR they basically added that. I don't edit my UI. I downloaded one I liked and I use it on all my toons.

Then there is the GTN. Again, what would be the problem if somebody makes a better search engine for the GTN? Is obviously low on the list of issues for BW, so why not let the community add value? And, in the end, you DONT have ot use it if you don't want to.

It is the game mechanics mods that modify HOW you play that affect others. And then, I ask you, does the guy with a gaming mouse or side device doesn't have an advantage already? And if so, do we all have to go out and get one to be competitive? Does the guy with a better computer have an advantage already? This is hardly a level playing field, and never will be.

I also disagree with the addition of macros or other mods that affect gameplay mechanics unless they become an addition to the game for ALL to use. And this is another road : BW should take advantage of the community, allow some of these mods to develop (GTN, UI, etc) and then, if good, incorporate them to the game as an option. That way the whole community helps itself. Doesn't anybody remember where CounterStrike came from?

I believe participation on the content and function of the game creates a more solid and loyal community in the long run. Much more than pets and floating chairs.

I would have to agree. I've played WOW off and on since it's Open Beta before it released. I have an even more conservative list of mods I use there, all of which are for UI enhancement only (all except for the Fishing mod, hehe). There are just some clunky mechanics here that need to be addressed. Hell, just allowing us to changed the look of our GUI would be a step in the right direction. GTN over-haul, ABSOLUTELY!! A need for mods. . .I don't think so. Some flexibility, definitely.

BogyOne
02.11.2013 , 03:18 AM | #99
Quote: Originally Posted by DawnAskham View Post
I love mods, and the reason is simple. In most games with mods, the community and mod developers do a better job of coming up and delivering UI customizations and enhancements than the game developers.
Bingo! Hudreds or thousand skilled and creative fans would outmatch at any moment the hired staff (which might be the reason while mods are not here - job retention).

I do not really see how the mods similar to Altoholic, Genie or mod that could finally enable the functionality that unit frames should have year ago (like text everywhere or scaling buffs, debuffs) can be gamebreaking. Maybe to people who incorrectly associate keeping a track of single 5 x 5 mm buff or debuff in that mess that we have now with skill.

Not speaking about GTN UI vs. WoW Auctioneer and other AH tools there, I'll congratulate BW designers if they conjure anything close to that.

And that is really good point here:
Quote: Originally Posted by TheIronMonkey View Post

hages
02.11.2013 , 04:17 AM | #100
No mods are needed.
The game is fine like it is. Pls no second wow !
/thread
nothings as good as an cold cold beer...and swtor to play drunk