Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Add more threat to guardians!

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes
Add more threat to guardians!

Glorthox
12.26.2012 , 11:53 AM | #1
So tired of trying to tank mobs on my guardian and the dps easily pulls it from me. I'm in the right form, I have all the right abilities to tank, but yet there isn't very many that generate large amounts of threat. All the taunts have such an unusually long cooldown. And it is because of this, I have seen more and more groups looking for trooper and assassin tanks instead of guardians. When it comes to single target I don't have a problem, but when it is more than one, I tend to struggle...

ArchArcher
12.27.2012 , 11:10 PM | #2
Place guard on that commando/sentinel.

I don't have threat issues with my guardian. So maybe you're doing something wrong....

Kitru
12.27.2012 , 11:30 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by ArchArcher View Post
I don't have threat issues with my guardian. So maybe you're doing something wrong....
It's pretty well known that, compared to the other 2 tanks, Guardians have noticeably worse threat generation and damage dealt. Taunt spamming takes care of most of the problems, but it's still an issue. Presumably the developers are going to fix it with the xpac (probably a new t8 talent that buffs the living bejeebus out of Guardian Slash).

As to the OP, if you're having problem with AoE threat, it helps to understand how the taunts work: if you're using your taunt right at the beginning to get threat on everything, you're going to lose threat as soon as the 6 sec taunt debuff wears off because you're not generating any threat with the AoE taunt. The taunts place your threat at the multiplier required to pull threat off of the existing target: for targets that you are within 4m of the center of their model for, it's only 110% of current threat; for targets that you are further than that from, it's 130% of current threat. If you taunt a target that hasn't had any threat generated on it (like you're likely doing at the start of the fight), you're not getting any threat generation benefit out of your taunt; just the debuff.

So, instead of taunting right off the bat, wait until you've thrown down with Force Sweep and Guardian Slash (for a cleave) and *then* use your AoE taunt. You'll get the benefit of the threat generation on your taunt *and* the 6 sec debuff.
Walls of Text? I *love* Walls of Text!
My New Class Idea
Shadow Class Rep - Suggest/Review Questions Here
Quote: Originally Posted by Fende View Post
Listen to Kitru. Kitru knows all.

BlznSmri
12.27.2012 , 11:30 PM | #4
Tanking Guardian damage and threat needs a serious adjustment. It's gotten to the point where on the TFB Kephass fight, first phase, I pretty much have to hold back on my Shadow "Rotation" to avoid pulling aggro back from the Guardian tank in my group after I get the Debuff (that negates threat). Even if he taunts, one full cycle of my rotation and I've got aggro back.

If BW buffed the damage to Guardian Slash or even added a proc that refreshed the CD on Master Strike or made it hit harder or generate more threat I think that'd be pretty much all they need.
APOSTATES
Website | Recruitment | About Us
Jokerseven - Shadow | Ce'lia - Sentinel
Sentinel PvE Basics/ Marauder PvE Basics

ArchArcher
12.28.2012 , 12:26 AM | #5
Dunno anything about those story modes, but other hard mode FP's & daily heroics I have no issues. I agree we need damage boost though !

CdrChaos
12.29.2012 , 09:25 PM | #6
I've had this problem too, even on Flashpoints where trying to hold a mob's attention is damn near impossible. I think Guardians (and Juggernauts) would be more effective as Tanks if their aoe taunt lasted longer and had half the cooldown time it currently has.
Colonel Tigh: Yes, we're tired. Yes, there is no relief. Yes, the Cylons keep coming after us time after time after time. And yes, we are still expected to do our jobs!
Commander Adama: We make mistakes, people die. There aren't many of us left.

mxlm
12.30.2012 , 05:26 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by Kitru View Post
It's pretty well known that, compared to the other 2 tanks, Guardians have noticeably worse threat generation and damage dealt.
How much worse? I'm doing something like 100-150 less dps on my guardian than my vanguard. I'd been ascribing most of that difference to my being bad and having worse gear (van is full DG, guardian still has a columi weapon).

wadecounty
12.30.2012 , 05:41 AM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by mxlm View Post
How much worse? I'm doing something like 100-150 less dps on my guardian than my vanguard. I'd been ascribing most of that difference to my being bad and having worse gear (van is full DG, guardian still has a columi weapon).
Played optimally in 63's, a Vanguard tank can expect 800-850 DPS, a Shadow tank 900 DPS, and a Guardian tank 650 DPS (700 maybe in hybrid spec).

On top of that, we also get the harshest penalty to our DPS on targets that use all force/tech attacks, like Zorn or Stormcaller, since it cuts out Riposte (a significant chunk of our DPS) and Courage (a big part of Focus management for Defense spec).

The funny thing was, before 1.3 hit, we were already the worst damage and threat tanks even with picking up 6% melee damage from single saber mastery and Guardian Slash being = to Overhead Slash in damage, and boosting to Dispatch level damage at 5 stacks of Sunder (so basically from your 2nd Guardian Slash on for the rest of a fight).

ArchArcher
01.01.2013 , 03:13 AM | #9
Let's improve the guardian slash by making it a small nuke 5 stacks of sundering armor gives the gurdian slash also the ability to ignore 30% of targets armor aswell as those who are hit by the AoE effect. And make players KO'd by the AoE effect aswell so it becomes even more viable in PvP.

SleepyJoeFriday
01.03.2013 , 06:06 AM | #10
Perhaps the cookie cutter guardian tank build isn't all it's made out to be.

Using taunts straight off is not a good way to go. I tend to only use taunts once in a fight to grab attention and then follow that up with damage dealt. If the group is spread apart then I refrain from leading off with sabre throw as it is useful to grab aggro later. I also try and herd opponents together so that I can use the multiple target kick ability.

I've diverted from the standard skill set to include a full boost to my strength and a couple of other skills from the damage trees.

I suspect that you may not need to go full tank in order to work well, but I appreciate that it does rely more on equipment (armour class, defence adjustments, shield and absorb).

I don't claim to be an expert as I'm only at level 42 so far, but I have noticed that whenever I taunt an opponent to a high damage dps I need to follow that up with actual damage if I'm to pull agro onto me.

Another point is if possible I never run without a Might stim, but then having Biochem crew skill helps there. don't forget that as well as boosting damage it also boosts accuracy and health.