Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Why people solo when they can group?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content
Why people solo when they can group?

Lunafox
01.01.2013 , 05:04 PM | #71
I prefer to play solo because people can be mean, greedy, thoughtless and exploitive. People are just nice when they think they can get something. And if you do manage to find someone decent to play with and become friends with, eventually they move on, or something happens, and end of friendship...it's sad when that happens.

Interactions with other people just lead to misery and unhappiness in one form or another. That is why I prefer to play solo.
Bioware! Make Lord Scourge MATTER in KOTET!
The Foundation of All Desire
Spy Vs. Spy
Marr

CNS_Sarajevo
01.01.2013 , 05:19 PM | #72
I play solo because I like to play at my own pace and immerse myself in the SW world, rather than running through the mission. I'm getting turned off by flashpoints -- and have never played operations -- because most players who play them are grinding for items and aren't inclined to play the story, who don't have any patience for players who don't play at that level (like me).

Swaption
01.01.2013 , 07:24 PM | #73
Solo means I get twice the loot. Unless the other person is much more overgeared than I am (which is unlikely when you keep a 6 lvl head start on your planet), I get no advantage from grouping. While there may be a minor increase in killing speed, the exp from mobs is really irrelevant in the first place.

Also, the bigger issue may simply be that the other player is in group finder and therefore unable to group. When leveling on a planet I usually keep group finder on at all times.

Darth_Zeppelin
01.01.2013 , 10:48 PM | #74
Quote: Originally Posted by Prettyevilish View Post
Try whispering them first. Most people are put off by an invite that has no message attached to it and may not realize it's coming from the person in the same area as them (I've gotten invites from planets away for no reason at all).
This pretty much sums it up for me. Say hello. Actually invite me. I hate when I just get a random pop up. I don't even read them, honestly.

Try this, "Hey, are you working on [quest name]?" And when they respond, try, "Me too. Want to work on it together?".

That's all it would take in most cases. I'd be more likely to team up longer if there is some conversation once we're grouped too. Nothing crazy, just a reason to be in a group. I can finish quests solo all day long. But, I can't do them AND get a good banter going while playing by myself. Well, I can, but then people call me crazy.

-DZ
My Online Gamer Profile!

Gamer Seeking Gamer: Find other gamers to play all types of multi-player games with, including SWTOR! On Facebook and Twitter!

Mattriss
01.02.2013 , 10:15 AM | #75
@OP after many years in another MMO. I have learned to avoid groups altogether as in that game apparently you should magically know how to use every ability, every talent, every gear modifier, as soon as you roll your character. and if you don't.....well.....I am now here am I not.

AlixMV
01.02.2013 , 06:10 PM | #76
A lot of people have touched on my reasons for solo'ing (want to go at my own pace, don't want to deal with other people, don't like blind Group invites (*)), but one I didn't see was this: I feel like I learn how to play the game (and my character) better soloing.

I solo'ed a Healer Sage from levels 1-50. I also played a Gunslinger with a friend of mine playing a Healer Sage who grouped from Level 20-50. He soloed a bit on Corellia and was getting tooled by some Elite; I suggested "Use your interrupt" during some difficult boss fight and he said, "Which one is my interrupt?"

Running with two other players the whole time, he never had to really learn his character, while I had to just to survive.

OTOH, I do understand the need to group some of the time as well. I've started playing that Sage in endgame content on occasion, and it's been a huge learning curve having to transition from running the combats in my rhythm and instead having to deal with/take care of other people. If I'd done more group content while leveling, I'd probably be better at it.

(*) - Trufax, I logged a character on on Coruscant just to check my mail/send a Companion out on a crew mission and got a blind Group invite. I hadn't been on for more than 15 seconds at the time. W T F?
~ < Fortitude > ~ Jedi Covenant ~
Referral link
Sollyni ~ Diyanna ~ Annifryd
Ydris ~ Mai'ty'lee

DoctorJest
01.02.2013 , 06:29 PM | #77
1. I hate blind invites. If someone sends me an unsolicited invite, they will be declined, if they repeatedly send an invite over and over without preamble, they get ignored.

2. I prefer to RP while playing, especially when doing PVE. Without knowing if the other person feels the same, I won't accept. If the invite was preceded by an in character proposition of why we should work together, I'd be much more likely to accept.

3. PVE is too easy as it is. Playing PVE in a big group makes the game unchallenging.

4. As I play for RP, if someone has a non-Starwarsy name, especially a dumb joke or pop culture refrence, I wil not give them the time of day,

5. Part of RP for me is pacing. I can proceed at my own pace, and other players who throw out blind invites may not share that.

So I generally solo or play with a friend.

Caelith
01.02.2013 , 07:15 PM | #78
Quote: Originally Posted by Prettyevilish View Post
Try whispering them first. Most people are put off by an invite that has no message attached to it and may not realize it's coming from the person in the same area as them (I've gotten invites from planets away for no reason at all).
This ^

I never accept a random invite.

Personally i prefer questing alone but if i see someone in the same area for a while i am sometimes inclined to ask them to group.
The siege of Coruscant was in fact brought to an end after the republic agreed to give the Empire a Shrubbery, one that looked nice and wasn't too expensive.

VigDiath
01.02.2013 , 07:26 PM | #79
Another example of why I prefer rolling solo...

Despite me saying I wouldn't group with people (which I have turned down a few requests recently because there was no formal request to group), I accepted an invite while facing a champion and immediately regretted it.

On Quesh, there is the champion that Imperial players can face not far from the Imperial speeder area. I was in the area and had already beat him by myself and decided to try to farm some loot/credits/exp from him. I noticed another person healing off in the corner after facing him but figured he would just stand by and watch until it was over. Well as soon as I sent Ashara after him (this is on my Sorc healer) he jumps in (a jugg) and starts attacking the champion. I see the npc is now locked, so I called Ashara back and jumped off the side to wach this guys demise lol. Well he starts losing and decides to run and gets away from the champion. I figure I'll go ahead and take him out now. I go up, send Ashara in and again this idiot jumps in but sends me an invite almost immediately.
I'm like whatever and accept the invite but soon start thinking, this guy is gonna ninja the loot. At this point tho, I'm into the fight so I just keep going and after a bit we kill him. A purple epic mod pops up and the first thing he does is need the mod So now I'm really beginning to get steam, and I need the loot as well and he winds up winning the roll Stupidity on my part and the reason why I roll solo People can be real douches in this game.
Jedi Covenant (The Baltimore Legacy)
Laaron - 55 (Shadow Tank) Eulora - 55 (Sage Healer)
Madmartygan - 55 (Guardian DPS) Skylaadawn - 55 (Sab Smug)
Akon - 55 (Carnage Marauder) L'aron - 53 (Sorc Healer)

Keiori
01.02.2013 , 09:18 PM | #80
I will usually decline if I'm on a gaming dead line. Such as when my daughter is napping. It's not meant to be offensive, I just figure it more rude to log off suddenly when my baby walked up. After she's in bed for the night that's another story altogether. I will gladly group at night.