Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Why people solo when they can group?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content
Why people solo when they can group?

fungihoujo
12.28.2012 , 03:17 PM | #51
When I'm doing quests I like to go at my own pace- no faster, no slower.

Most people tend to be powerlevelling their way along, so I avoid it- I generally don't even quest with my friends for that reason.

bahdasz
12.28.2012 , 06:26 PM | #52
I honestly think most of the people that blind invite me would not be very happy trying to keep up at my pace or dealing with me after the first time they did something stupid. In that way you could say I'm being considerate to them when I decline.... from a certain point of view.

Sleprock
12.28.2012 , 06:54 PM | #53
Because I want more loot and don't care about experience. With my luck that awesome purple would drop when grouped and I'd not get it. If I can do it myself, I won't group. Simple as that.

Sith-Viscera
12.28.2012 , 07:05 PM | #54
I tell u why some people solo then group.
1. You can spend hours trying to get a group together, til this vary day i've still have not been in a team rank for war zone, do to the fact i cant get 8 people or how many u need to team group in rank, from the time it had started till now. So i have stopped trying and the sad thing is that is in public and in 2 different guilds now ive been in, that i just cant seem to get people to group for team ranking.

2. With group finder is you get people that if u ACCIDENTLY grab a loot item u do not need they do not care about if it was an accident or not or if you ever do it again or not, just one time is to many so they boot u. And if its not that reason, if you have a better plan then some one else for getting a boss, they dont like being showed up, although thats NOT your INTENTION, they still get their feather ruffled and they get the rest to go along with them and kick you from group.

3. If the leader feels like your not geared enough they kick you and all because your health isnt as high as theirs they have a little over 20k worth of health i almost 19k but thats not good enough, so they kick ya, and who makes one leader of a group any way?

So thats 3 MAJOR reasons why MY FLASH POINT and MY OPERATION CAREER has only seen. Boarding party, the Foundry, and The Infinite Empire or is it the false Empire? I cant remember, any way those are the ones i manage to have good understanding people in all the other times the people just do not care, and are kick happy.

SO THAT WHY I SOLO unfortunately you just cant solo them all by your self and so to this day from prerelease of this game till now those are the only FP and OPS ive seen or played. SAD HUH?

Sanctioned
12.28.2012 , 07:21 PM | #55
I can only think of one reason why I won't group with others.

Well before I get into that, if you're sending me a blind invite without the common courtesy of telling me why you want me to join your group then I'm going to decline without telling you why.

Now, the only reason I can think of for not wanting to group up is turning in/picking up quests takes too damn long when no one space bars through the conversations.

Last thing I want to do when Im just trying to powerlevel my 3rd 50 and burning through planet quests is to slow down so Junior can smell the flowers and have him rely on me to teach him what to do.
(Black Vulkars) Bastion: Dregs - 50 Operative , Dresni - 50 Assassin Fapmonster - 50 Vanguard
Shadowfire: Dregs - Spy | Ryuten - MPowers/MLS
Flurry: Ryushi - Rifleman/Creature Handler

mrekxxx
12.29.2012 , 10:29 AM | #56
Quote: Originally Posted by lokozar View Post
I played solo- and group-characters all the way to 50 and I have to say, not only did I get more money and loot solo, but I also was faster at level 50 than with the group characters. Makes me think those group benefits are a lie, buggy or simply to meager.

In any case that could be part of the problem.
this, solo = faster at lvl 50 and more fun, no idiots in the grp :P

and useless thread ...

group are only good for fp or raids, or when you wanna play with friends , there is no point accept invite from stranger and play with ppl who are not known for you

Texnolyze
12.29.2012 , 11:27 AM | #57
Some people may call me a selfish ******e, but this is why i prefer solo'ing rather than grouping with other people for quests:

1) Speed factor and time control - its obvious that due to various reasons a group can't progress constantly and quickly, which isn't a problem when you solo. You know your real world schedule and you know how much time you can put into leveling and you won't annoy other teammates if you're in a state of emergency before pulling a final instance boss for example. There's also a problem with several missions that have LIGHT/DARK choices. Depending on the choice, there's usually a different progression of the quest and it turnes out that 3 people have to go to spot A, while you have to do something at spot B. Another thing is if you grouped with a newbie player that just started SWTOR and doesn't skip dialogues. Frustrating as hell.

2) Educational value - more of a factor for new players, but still - you gain more knowledge about your class while pushing it to the limits - which means things like soloing heroics 2/4, rare planet champions, or even world bosses. You learn exactly how to benefit from each ability which is usually harder to see when you're in a group of 4 people and they all dps. Trying different build on the way to maximize dps/heal/survivability isn't a necessity when you're in a group. A group makes it way easier to the point of spamming auto attack being more than enough (of course not exactly, but you know what i mean). This is a great method especially if you're trying out many different classes - this way you can easily compare, tell the weaknesses and strong points of each class and also understand the mechanics behind them.

When it comes to playing in group - a great experience when doing all kinds of operations. The same thing with a good premade in warzone/ranked warzone. For questing? Thanks, but no thanks. If you want to socialize with people - my best suggestion would be finding a good guild.
Force'aker, Assassin lv50
Cantaloop, Operative lv50
Texhnolyze, Scoundrel lv50
Queerlooking, Guardian lv50

dacentabaal
12.29.2012 , 04:03 PM | #58
Quote: Originally Posted by lokozar View Post
I played solo- and group-characters all the way to 50 and I have to say, not only did I get more money and loot solo, but I also was faster at level 50 than with the group characters. Makes me think those group benefits are a lie, buggy or simply to meager.

In any case that could be part of the problem.
Yeah I striongly agree here, I have done a heroic 2+ before solo handed it in and got about 17k xp I think on Balmorra and was getting about 480-580 xp from the Elites I killed inside the phase...logged out after that logging in the day after when it reset and went to do the HC again for the extra xp and comms.
I grouped up with someone who asked me and I have to say.. Elites I was getting about 200-300xp per kill and roughly picked up the same from quest hand in as that ones set whether your in a group or solo, and loot and credit wise.. really got nothing conpared to doing it solo

I also agree with a previous poster, if anyone sends me a group inv without even a whisper of "Hello" I instantly decline...I guess its preference really, I mean I prefer to solo level beause I dont just do the simple planet/class quests.. I explore as much as I can and go XP farming with all the mobs over and over, and when it does come to phases.. if im levelling and need the xp ill clear the room.. not leave mobs standing around to sneak past

All in all.. unsure whether its bugged or again its minimal, but Group levelling is really only there for friends who like to do stuff together as teh rewars are just not really there.. its just one sof those things BW say to encourage player interaction even though everything can be done solo at best
█]╬╬╬╬╬╬(۝)ǁ█خ▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓▓)
http://www.swtor.com/r/sdFwY8

AshlaBoga
12.29.2012 , 04:30 PM | #59
Quote: Originally Posted by CrazyGreggy View Post
Have to agree with this. If a group invite suddenly obscures my view of what I'm doing without being PRECEDED by pink text in my chat window from that person, I will admit to feeling a brief stab of boiling fury followed by annoyance at myself for overreacting

Always ask before inviting.
Exactly. I often offer help in response to a general chat request, but random invites? That's a good way tt.o get the silent treatment,
The dark is generous, and it is patient, and it always wins.
It always wins because it is everywhere.
The brightest light casts the darkest shadow.
Click my Referral Code for free goodies!

Athena-Nike
12.29.2012 , 09:40 PM | #60
Solo faster for me. I know all the fights, the areas, the bonus' just easier to run it alone then take a chance on pulling someone else along. If I wanna group I will advertise it, or if someone asks me to help I usually do but not just randomly.

Also, mid-late game I usually greatly out-level the content so anyone I group with would get reduced exp because of me...