Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Anger and fear.


Huttchew's Avatar


Huttchew
12.26.2012 , 05:26 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by Path-x View Post
I think anger and fear are for losers and for the weak. These two emotions don't fit with SIth "survival of the strongest" behaviour and their winner mentality. Anger greatly diminishes ones focus and mental performance and consequently increases chance for errors. Winners have no reason to be angry while losers do. As for fear, fear is a powerful weapon so therefore the Sith should induce fear and terror into their enemies, not the other way around. A Sith who is afraid sounds pathetic and weak.
Fear is the way to the Dark-side.
Fear leads to Anger
Anger leads to Hatred
Hatred leads to Suffering

Ryyx's Avatar


Ryyx
12.26.2012 , 05:38 AM | #12
It has already been explained by a few on how the Sith use these emotions and how they lead to power the dark side, etc, so I would retread over that. As for real life, I think it is very contextual whether these emotions are useful or not, as it can probably change from situation to situation. Someone already brought up, that having no fear can lead to complacency or just stupid decisions in general, but as also pointed out being controlled by fear can be just as harmful in different ways. Everything in moderation I suppose.

Andronicos's Avatar


Andronicos
12.26.2012 , 10:34 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Path-x View Post
I observe the opposite when I play football with my mates. If an individual or even whole team gets angry the performance usually drops. Some start blaming each other while others lose focus and make even more mistakes.

I don't think you are talking about classic anger. It is more like an combination of persistent character, determination at what you do and self challenge. I too feel the urge to do better and to outperform when something goes wrong but I don't think that is anger.
Well the reality of the situation is that different humans react in different ways to different emotions in different situations, so yes most people may get sloppy when angered while some can channel their anger for as long as they have an objective in front of them.

What I think the Sith teachings do is let anyone who gets properly trained gain that ability to focus their emotions into power without being enslaved by them and get sloppy, like Palpatine said "I can feel your anger, it gives you focus, it makes you stronger"
Darth Vaelren - Dark Lord of the Sith
Captain Galryn Zaris - Just a man making his way on the galaxy
Agent Keldran Reus - "Corellian ale, shaken not stirred"

VelvetSanity's Avatar


VelvetSanity
12.26.2012 , 11:25 AM | #14
The answer is simple, really. It's a matter of controlling, harnessing, and focusing the energy and drive inherent in the emotion, rather than letting the emotion control you. There are times when I get upset or angry and am able to use it and focus it and do better, and there are times when it gets the better of me and I do worse.

It seems to be a matter of taking the anger and using it to fuel drive and determination, as opposed to just going into a rage.

So really, the Sith are all about harnessing and controlling their emotions, and using them as motivation. This is in opposition to the Jedi being about simply denying their existence.
Pre-CU Bria refugee
www.therepopulation.com - sandbox MMO currently in alpha
classless, levelless, 3 playable factions, it even has ENTERTAINERS!
EA/BW: Thanks for the SGR update. Please tell us if timetables change again

darthnamel's Avatar


darthnamel
12.26.2012 , 11:27 AM | #15
How about this as a real life scenario? Children have need of reminders to correct their actions. Before it was outlawed spankings did this. It is the fear of the physical pain that prevented kids like me from talking back to my parents when growing up. Anger also has real world connections. Before killing became impersonal it was used to avenge people that felt they were wronged. Personally I see anger and fear galore in our modern world.

Beniboybling's Avatar


Beniboybling
12.26.2012 , 02:35 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Path-x View Post
I disagree with you guys. In game that may be true but in real life it just doesn't work that way. If one is performing some task (physical or mental) and something upset him and makes him angry he will lose focus and things will only get worse (I am sure everyone can confirm that from experience). It is true that at that point you can squeeze out a bit more of physical strength but usually it is worthless since anger diminishes your thinking and coordination performance. That is simply because muscles can produce more power to do some random uncontrolled motion compared to doing motion that is precisely directed by our neural system.



Well fear is a mechanism of self preservation. It is true that it keeps one constantly alert but on the other hand it greatly limits anyone who is controlled by it. You don't do or you hesitate to do something because of fear. Many dictatorships induced fear into their population to completely diminish people's thoughts of doing anything against the establishment and keep them in line. If you fear your teacher you do poorly at the oral exam. If you are afraid of new technology you will never learn how to use computer and cell phones (older people for example). And so on.
This is actually a very good point, and can be applied to the Force. Anger and Fear, while leading to power - also lead to losing control, and losing efficiency. Unless a Sith can learn to control his fear and his anger, and hone its raw power he/she would lash out in a blind rage. In such instances a Jedi, or other opponent, can exploit their weaknesses in their sloppy and uncoordinated movements.

This is a purpose of Dun Moch, by enraging your opponent you can more easily exploit their weaknesses and anger as fear take over skill and discipline. However it can lead to the 'boomerang effect' when they use those emotions to overpower their enemy.

But yes, IMO anger and fear are as much weaknesses as strengths. If you cannot learn to control them they can easily become a double-edged sword.

Anvillian's Avatar


Anvillian
12.26.2012 , 03:15 PM | #17
Theres 2 types of anger i've usually observed. The classic "Berserker rage", and "Focused Anger".

Berserker rage involves in one person lashing out and gaining the tunnel effect, only focused on doing as much damage to the enemy as quickly as possible.

Then there is Focused anger, that makes you sharp and alert, due to the increased flow of adrenaline. When trained properly, focused anger can be very dangerous and very effective.

Thats why it takes more than 1 jedi to usually to kill a sith lord, this is due to their strength and power. But in the end, jedi win because of the berserker rage effect taking over said sith lord. Malgus on the other hand, is quite unique. He seems more effective and powerful when angry, therefore Id say he falls into the Focused Anger category.

In Star wars lore, ive observed that the failed sith lords and acolytes are the ones that have the typical berserker rage mindset or are plain 'weak'.
The Anvil Legacy
Anvilwar - Sith Juggernaut - Immortal
The Bastion

Beniboybling's Avatar


Beniboybling
12.26.2012 , 03:20 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by Anvillian View Post
Theres 2 types of anger i've usually observed. The classic "Berserker rage", and "Focused Anger".

Berserker rage involves in one person lashing out and gaining the tunnel effect, only focused on doing as much damage to the enemy as quickly as possible.

Then there is Focused anger, that makes you sharp and alert, due to the increased flow of adrenaline. When trained properly, focused anger can be very dangerous and very effective.

Thats why it takes more than 1 jedi to usually to kill a sith lord, this is due to their strength and power. But in the end, jedi win because of the berserker rage effect taking over said sith lord. Malgus on the other hand, is quite unique. He seems more effective and powerful when angry, therefore Id say he falls into the Focused Anger category.

In Star wars lore, ive observed that the failed sith lords and acolytes are the ones that have the typical berserker rage mindset or are plain 'weak'.
In light of this, Traya is an interesting force user to consider. She neither seems 'beserker rage' or 'focused anger' - she always seemed very calm, almost serene. And yet she was a powerful practitioner of the darkside, but then again she was never really Sith. I'd say Traya is a good example of a darksider who completely mastered and honed her emotions to the point that she no longer needed to incite fear and anger to draw on the darkside...

JediMB's Avatar


JediMB
12.26.2012 , 03:47 PM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by Beniboybling View Post
In light of this, Traya is an interesting force user to consider. She neither seems 'beserker rage' or 'focused anger' - she always seemed very calm, almost serene. And yet she was a powerful practitioner of the darkside, but then again she was never really Sith. I'd say Traya is a good example of a darksider who completely mastered and honed her emotions to the point that she no longer needed to incite fear and anger to draw on the darkside...
Well, Traya was focused on her hatred of the Force itself. Since it's not a physical thing she can lash out at, she had to be calm and cunning to put together her plan to destroy such an abstract enemy.
The Morrowbringer Legacy The Red Eclipse (PvE) [EU]
Deep into that darkness peering, you reach out your hand and grasp what you are searching for.
Now ring the bells that sweep away the darkness; the bells that beckon tomorrow's dawn.

Surinen's Avatar


Surinen
12.26.2012 , 05:24 PM | #20
Traya most probably focused anger and that is why she remained calm, being in state of anger doesnt exactly mean to mumble and throw shouts. Althou I doubt that any experienced Sith would become furious easily, after all they slay many different beings in hundreds, it must have become a routine. Of course, enemy who would put equal fight probably would enrage a Sith and then it is a matter of a discipline.

Personally I'm much more interested in the Emperor, Lord Scourge and Sith Warrior as they do not possess emotions any longer, for them I guess same presence of the Dark Side inside them is enough to channel it in combat or they focus on murderous intent.and thats how it work. I would say that they are the ultimate form of the force sensitive fighter.
Aperture Science. We do what we must, because we can. For the good of all of us- Except the ones who are dead.