Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

My Name is Solomon Crae

thatghost
12.31.2012 , 12:49 AM | #21
Awww Blizz. Now I'm just as worried for him as I am for Gault

Just when Crae seems to reach the pinnacle of chilling you take him further.

Reading this is like standing in the doorway of a dark room in which you (general 'you') just know something bad is hiding in a corner- but you walk right on in anyway, compelled to do so.

I fear where this is going. I just can't get enough of it, too

MilaniGrey
12.31.2012 , 12:52 AM | #22
Blizz. <3

<_<
>_>
and Crae <3
And Skari <3

Just ALL the love
The Islingr LegacyShatter the Darkness
Astaron, Narithia, Xalkory, Áilleacht
The Ebon Hawk Server
Forever Shenanigans!

Canino
12.31.2012 , 02:47 PM | #23
Do I smell romance in the air? Aww, Blizz makes everything cuter! Keep writing, don't stop-not even to read this post!
STATEMENT: I'm just a simple assassin...I mean bodyguard, master. You have nothing to fear.
---------

iamthehoyden
12.31.2012 , 07:50 PM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by thatghost View Post
Reading this is like standing in the doorway of a dark room in which you (general 'you') just know something bad is hiding in a corner- but you walk right on in anyway, compelled to do so.
Crae's good at lures.
Lures. Traps. All perfectly reasonable methods of acquiring your prey.
Creeper
*grins*

Quote: Originally Posted by MilaniGrey View Post
Just ALL the love
<3

Quote: Originally Posted by Canino View Post
Do I smell romance in the air? Aww, Blizz makes everything cuter! Keep writing, don't stop-not even to read this post!
I...uh...I read nothing! Nothing I tell you! But yes, Blizz makes everything cuter
aren't you a little short for a stormtrooper?
---------------
Fan Fiction: My Name is Solomon Crae The Man in the Box

iamthehoyden
12.31.2012 , 08:11 PM | #25
10 – A Time to Sleep

Any animal will develop patterns. The cycles of hunger and sleep lead to cycles of interaction, of action, and habit. Habit is a siren’s call of comfort. None of us are immune. We’re all just animals.

Two weeks. Three dead ends. I watched the inhabitants of the small village through the scope on my sniper rifle as they went about their day, their habits forming patterns, tendencies. If I watched them long enough, I would be able to track them anywhere. I smoothed a finger down the trigger and sighed. Not today.

I stood, yawned, stretched out muscles tight from hours of stillness, rubbed a hand over the cold skin on my head. Felt my back protest. When I was younger there were no twinges, but I suppose it was inevitable. Age catches up to all creatures. I looked back down at the silent hamlet - they were completely unaware of how fragile they were, how vulnerable. Like infants with no thought but to be warm, fed, and loved. Tempting. But age was not without its benefits.

The abandoned communication station where the pack had settled while we searched for Akko Nadras in this sleepy backwoods planet looked deserted from the outside. It did not, however, sound deserted.

"Motherf**ker!"

I grinned as I heard my cat roar.

"Don't tell me what to do! I'll do what f**king well needs done!"

"You can't keep pushing yourself like this!" Mako's voice was laced with anger and worry. "Besides, you're a pain in the a** when you don't sleep!"

I turned the handle on the door and stepped inside. The two of them went silent at the sight of me. Mako turned back to her terminal while Skari seethed, rigid as she stood beside the entry.

"You really should sleep," I murmured to Skari as I leaned past her to tuck my rifle, cold weather gear, and pack into the corner, "Lack of sleep makes you...vulnerable."

"I do sleep," she growled back, arms crossed as I straightened. I didn't move back out of her space. Up close I could smell her scent - a combination of durasteel and something delicate, almost flowery. Something…her. Delicious.

"Really?" I said lightly, watching her solid red eyes, "when do you sleep, mama?" My lips twitched at the scowl she blasted at me.

"Where were you?" she demanded, stepping around me to head across the room to her kaffa mug. A retreat. Interesting. I let her go. For now.

"Nadras is not in Drollun," I said, leaning back against the wall.

"Is everyone in Drollun still intact?" she asked with a glare.

I laughed at her. "You’re worried about these strangers? They're nothing to you."

She glanced over at Mako who was sitting quietly at her portable terminal, watching the two of us with a frown. "Check it for me, please."

Mako nodded and pulled up a satellite image. "No bodies. No panic. Looks okay."

"You really should learn to trust me," I said to Skari, "you might sleep better."

"What's the next location?" she asked Mako, her eyes avoiding my gaze.

"Fellinassra." She pulled up an image of a tourist retreat in the high mountains. Inside, I felt myself go still, my breathing and heartrate evening out just as they did before I pulled the trigger on a shot I knew would hit perfectly. It was just right.

"I'll meet you there," I said, grabbing my pack and gear from where I'd just stowed it, slinging my rifle onto my back.

"Crae!" Skari said, exasperation in her voice, "Aren't you going to eat something? Sleep?"

"I'll sleep when you do, mama," I said with a wink, ducking out of the door. Her growl of frustration made me grin as I started to walk down the road.

"Don't kill anyone till we get there!" she yelled at me from the door. I laughed and continued my trek up into the mountains. My cat would sleep tonight. I smiled.
---------------

Canino
01.01.2013 , 09:46 AM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by iamthehoyden View Post
Up close I could smell her scent - a combination of durasteel and something delicate, almost flowery. Something…her. Delicious.
Hmmm, that sounds romantic to me....
You may be subtle about it Hoyden, but I catch subtle.
STATEMENT: I'm just a simple assassin...I mean bodyguard, master. You have nothing to fear.
---------

iamthehoyden
01.01.2013 , 01:35 PM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by Canino View Post
Hmmm, that sounds romantic to me....
You may be subtle about it Hoyden, but I catch subtle.
Subtle...I like that, hehe.

11 – Deadly Virtues

Warning:
Spoiler

Skari paused the speeder on the mountainside, just inside the treeline. The road snaked down to the lakeside hamlet nestled in amongst the forest-swathed mountains. Snow had fallen the night before, ringing the steel blue lake in soft white edges. Fellinassra had the quiet busy-ness of a resort town in the morning. The tourists were still in bed, but shops were being opened, speeders were bringing in supplies. People moved about. Perhaps one of them was Akko Nadras. Perhaps their search would be over, and Crae would leave.

"I'm freezing here, can't we hunt bad guys inside?" Gault complained beside her.

She rolled her eyes and started the speeder down the steep path. Torian was bringing Blizz and Mako in on a second speeder in an hour. No point gaining unwanted attention with a convoy. Skari stopped in front of a perfectly rustic-but-expensive-as-hell cafe where rich people bought kaffa that... She stopped. Where rich people bought the same kaffa she drank now. Having money to burn was weird.

"Good, I could use a drink," Gault said, getting out of the speeder and stretching, "you rushed me out the door without so much as a bite to eat."

"Stop your effing complaining," Skari said absently, scanning the area for Crae or Akko Nadras as Gault ducked inside the cafe. The few old holos they'd found had refreshed her memory of her one-time employer. Funny how she mostly remembered Nadras's sneer when in all the holos he had a wide, friendly smile. A mask for the camera.

"Get some sleep, mama?" A smooth rich tenor asked from behind her. Her skin pr*ckled as she turned around, blaster in hand. Crae stood there, his lean silhouette dark against the clean snow.

"Did you?" she threw back, unsettled by the adrenaline hitting her bloodstream.

He chuckled. "I've been busy."

"No dead bodies, I hope," she said with a scowl, glaring at him.

"Not yet," he said with a slight grin, "saved him for you."

"Nadras?" she asked with a gasp, "That bastard's actually here??"

His smile twisted into a grimace for a second and then was gone. "He has an estate on the western slope," he said, pointing at one of the huge mansions tucked onto the gentle rise between mountain and lake, "Vacation home. But his caretaker was there."

"Was?" Skari said with a raised eyebrow.

"I moved him.

Skari ducked into the cafe, ignoring the startled proprietor. "Gault. We're leaving," she snapped. She stalked out and jumped into the speeder, impatiently waiting as Gault exited the building with a cup and pastry in hand. Crae slid into the seat beside her. Gault raised an eyebrow at the hunter and got in the back.

"Where?" she demanded, glaring at Crae, "Is he in one piece?"

"Sounds like someone's been a busy boy this morning," Gault said behind her.

Crae smiled, his eyes focused ahead on the road. "Three miles on the south road. Left turn."

"If you've hurt some innocent bystander, I'll have your head, Crae," she growled and started the speeder. They traveled in silence, Crae pointing out the completely hidden left turn that led back into a shadow-darkened ravine that hadn't been hit by the morning sun yet. A small hunting cabin was half buried in the snow, a narrow track of footprints leading to and from the porch.

Skari stopped the speeder and jumped out, the snow reaching half way to her knees. She stomped to the cabin, vividly aware of Crae beside her. He reached the door first and opened it, bowing mockingly as she entered. She shot a look at Crae when a faint sob hit her ears from the back room. She drew her blaster. "After you," she said grimly, motioning Crae towards the sound. He grinned and headed for the door to the room.
Spoiler

The three of them were silent as they left the cabin. Skari stopped on the porch and looked out at the blindingly white snow. It was pure. Clean. She stepped down into it. Staining it red. Crae walked past her to the speeder, his own footprints red as well. "Did you ask him where Nadras was before I got there?" she called to him.

"Quisoto in the Tabrel Sector," he said tightly, "My brother's killer lives in my own hunting grounds."

"Huh," she said, "how bout that."

Plot Point Summary:
Spoiler
---------------

iamthehoyden
01.02.2013 , 09:07 AM | #28
12 – Green Monster

I searched out the Devaronian when we got back to the ship. It only took a second or two for him to notice me in the doorway of the medbay.

"Yeah?" he said, standing up straight, crossing his arms, his legs braced. The snake was becoming less snake-like. Perhaps those horns on his head were for more than show.

"You knew," I said, leaning against the door frame, flipping my knife in my hand, "what she was going to do."

Gault's eyes narrowed. "So did you, apparently."

I shrugged slightly, "I knew she'd want to crush the insect. I didn't anticipate she'd be so...thorough."

"Your point being?"

"I'd like to know why."

He snorted. "Not going to happen."

"Tell me this, at least," I said, my knife spiraling through the air a bit faster, "are the people who scarred her insides dead?"

"Why do you want to know?" the Devaronian asked, suspicion in his tone.

I caught my knife, looked down at it. "So I can kill them if they're not," I said to the knife.

Silence filled the space. I looked up at Gault. I hated him in that moment. He knew why there were shadows in my cat's eyes, why she had walls thicker than any I'd seen on Dromund Kaas around herself. The intimacy of her past was his. I wanted it for my own. My envy ate at me.

"You'd have to kill a lot of Nar Shaddaa bottom feeders," he said finally.

I thought for a moment and then nodded. "That can be done."

I didn't sleep that night. Instead, I lay on my pallet, using my blanket as pillow, feeling the cold on my bare chest. The ship is never completely dark. It's never completely quiet. The smells are metallic and chemical more than biological. The air is always chilled, the heat leached out by the thin metal walls. I looked up at the camera I knew was pointed at me. My cat didn't sleep in her room at the top of the ship. I didn't think she slept much in her captain's chair either, eyes always watching, alert in her cold cave. Alone with her thoughts. I wanted those thoughts.

I got up, bypassed my normal night routine, and headed for the bridge. But she didn't ask what I wanted when I stepped into the space. I moved around her captain's chair and stopped, stock still. She was asleep; the day had caught up with her.

I smiled. She was beautiful. Her forehead smooth of worry, her hair sliding out of its topknot. She looked...peaceful. I'd been waiting for such a moment. It would be a simple thing to kill her like this - the best way to do it. She would never wake up. I looked down at the knife that had come to my hand as if called and then back down at her. All that fire, snuffed out of the world. I'd never know her secrets. Never hear her swear or laugh again. My chest ached a little. Indecision is a strange thing - a sentient thing. Beasts don't wonder; they act. The snake strikes, the wasp stings, the wolf tears. I envied them, their simplicity.

Skari woke suddenly, her eyes going directly to Crae's monitor, cursing her inability to stay awake. It was harder when she was warm. Warm. She blinked a couple times, looking down at the unfamiliar blanket that covered her. She frowned as she caught a faint scent. Metal and...tea? She looked back at Crae's monitor. The man seemed to be asleep, wearing nothing but his loose pants in the chilled ship. She settled back into the chair, her brows drawn tight in thought.
---------------

thatghost
01.02.2013 , 10:48 AM | #29
Quote:
"Lack of sleep makes you...vulnerable."
I knew that was foreshadowing that line made me shudder when I first read it but now- not so shudder-y. As creepy as his obsessions are, my sympathy for Crae has been stirred up again. That there's a romantic lurking around somewhere in that psychotic psyche...huh, that might be even scarier...

"Deadly Virtues" is just wow. Deeply disturbing subject matter, incredibly well-written. Thank you for the spoiler tags- they gave me time to brace myself

MilaniGrey
01.02.2013 , 04:37 PM | #30
*om nom nom nom content*
*also om nom Skari/Crae*

<3
The Islingr LegacyShatter the Darkness
Astaron, Narithia, Xalkory, Áilleacht
The Ebon Hawk Server
Forever Shenanigans!