Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

How do you like commando?

Cathest
12.21.2012 , 07:47 PM | #1
Been thinking recently about havIng heavy armor and being dps and a huge gun - and commando seems really inticing. Never really pictured myself as the "blow stuff up" kinda guy, but maybe this will help me get in touch with my more manly side; I can be pretty meek :/

How did you like it? Oorah!

hyjaxxx
12.21.2012 , 08:57 PM | #2
I love my trooper! although he is a Combat Medic. I love the ammo mechanic and the way he heals. I also like the large amount of abilities he has that can be used to alter the flow of an encounter. and im only level 33. another nice thing is that i can roll him full healing and use 4x to tank for me. its really a good time!

ArchangelLBC
12.22.2012 , 01:20 AM | #3
PVE I love it. Pretty much everything I wanted the class to be.

PVP I hate it. Some days people ignore you and it's happy happy fun time. Other days people see it and bad things happen to good troopers.
In update 2.9 the game will simply uninstall itself for you.

-Wnd

Cathest
12.22.2012 , 04:56 AM | #4
I've been hearing a lot of people say they don't like commando in pvp a lot recently, was there a nerf in the last update? What do y'all not like? In wzs I always see commandos own with their CCs and dps.

Gyronamics
12.22.2012 , 06:11 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by Cathest View Post
I've been hearing a lot of people say they don't like commando in pvp a lot recently, was there a nerf in the last update? What do y'all not like? In wzs I always see commandos own with their CCs and dps.
Because commandos who know their stuff are set up to lose against melee players who also know their stuff.

It wouldn't be such an issue if melee had to run in view to a ranged player every time he wanted to attack but that isn't the case.

The pure melee line has a leap, sometimes two leaps, sometimes more than two leaps in a short period all of which close distance immediately and neutralise the ranged advantage.

Stealth classes can ofc walk up to you ignoring your range.

And two classes can pull you to them.

Anyway once they are on you, your damage is massively gimped, casting is now extremely difficult or against some melee, downright impossible.

There's no protection from this happening continuously, on the other hand our defences against gap closers are on cooldowns, build up resolve and are generally worthless if more than one player gap closes you.

This doesn't happen to the gunslinger who is also a caster because cover gives them immunity from all that, of course between cover they are vulnerable but even that can be rectified by going into cover and using their effective stand off tools.

It happens to Sages who are also casters but they can be unpleasant to melee as they can equip damage sponging bubbles which can be broken on damage or demand to AOE stun everyone around them. They also have a very fast sprint ability which allows them to create distance.

All of our problems can be blamed on someone thinking that heavy armour would be so great for a ranged class that it could kinda tank opponents to death without having to have any abilities to get away from the many gap closers of melee classes.

The ranged advantage of commandos is therefore the ability to shoot people and do damage without danger as long as they are not interested in you or their gap closer is on cooldown. Which is often viable vs random players in pugs.

Vs organised players it's incredibly obvious that to remove a commando from the battle is simply a matter of using a gap closer and causing their damage output to be instantly crippled. They can't get away and they can't out-damage melee at melee range when melee can cripple their casting.
Hotwired @ Not Good Enough @ ToFN

ArchArcher
12.22.2012 , 06:19 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Cathest View Post
Commando dps has been useless for a long time in PvP. Main issues is the survivability & utility. I stopped playing with my commando when I hit lvl 50. I'm a huge fan of PvP, and commando isn't an option....unless you want to heal. And scoundrel & sage does a better at the green department anyway.
When I subbed over 6 months ago, and started with my trooper....if I knew how bad commando was on PvP, I would have chosen vanguard...it's that horrible. The big ******* gun looks bad *** and you'd think you gonna pwn everyone with that huge cannon...that's not the case, your a free kill as a dps.

Only time dps commando can shine, is when no one jumps on you, when someone does...your dead. Commando doesn't stand a chance against any class 1vs1, but any other class has a fighting chance, sounds fair huh.

So now I'm just playing with my guardian & scoundrel untill they fix dps commando. We should have been fixed when 1.4 came out, or even when F2P launched but nooo. But either way, I'm sure we will be boosted up...it's just a matter of time.

Don't confuse lvl 49 wz's into lvl 50 wz's.

hyjaxxx
12.22.2012 , 02:07 PM | #7
I have yet to reach end game / pvp in my trooper but there is always a class like this where a large majority of people have a hard time with them in pvp. the Resto shaman was this way in WOW and i played one successfully for years in pvp and end game.

I agree that changes need to be made. I think the concussive blast would be great if it rooted people after it did the KB. also a talent that makes you unable to be stunned while you are casting a heal.

But, being aware and keeping yourself safe always goes a long way is survival. I know troopers want to wade out into the thick of battle...but a lil LOS and staying with a group goes a long way.

oaceen
12.22.2012 , 03:46 PM | #8
troopers being difficult to play in WZs is not a L2P issue

anyone can LOS and stay with the group. that's a strategy, not a feature of the commando class or even ranged classes.

hyjaxxx
12.22.2012 , 03:50 PM | #9
I agree with you. all i was saying is that if you are just standing in the middle of a battlefield the flaws of your character are going to be more easily exploited and that a little situational awareness could go a long way towards taking the sting off of our commandos lacking a lil in pvp.

diddnt mean to make it into a L2P post lol.

TjockTrooper
12.22.2012 , 04:46 PM | #10
i like playing commando both pve and pvp.

i cannot comment on the healing part but gunnery is great for hm flashpoints and if you pvp as damage go assault, at 50 they won't leave you alone long enough for gunnery rotations.