Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

All the world's a stage

iamthehoyden
12.24.2012 , 01:09 PM | #11
I like this baby agent-let
aren't you a little short for a stormtrooper?
---------------
Fan Fiction: My Name is Solomon Crae The Man in the Box

Syart
12.26.2012 , 04:51 PM | #12
The boy found his voice. "Did I pass?"

Minder Seventy-two nodded. "Oh yes, I expected you would. You didn't crumble, and you didn't run away, and you immediately implemented misdirection and delaying tactics by not answering my question but going on the attack. All as predicted. I told you, we've been watching you for a while. Our psychologists are pretty good at their jobs."

"Does everyone get recruited this way? How did you get in?"

"Everyone gets watched first, but the actual recruitment procedure varies. As for me, I'm the son of a Moff." He smiled, a little grimly. "I was watched from birth, believe me. Imperial service of some sort was not just expected, it was required." He picked up his empty coffee cup and looked at it, which reminded the boy about his juice, so he took another long swallow.

The Minder stood up. "I don't regret it. Intelligence is a niche that fits me very nicely."

He walked over to the drinks machine and refilled his cup. "You need to know that it's not an easy life, in Imperial Intelligence. Nor is it glamorous, or even exciting every day. Forget the holovis programmes. We spend our time in the shadows, getting our hands dirty, watching for trouble and preventing it or dealing with it when it happens, quietly clearing up other people's messes, doing a lot of morally very questionable things in defence of the greater good: a stable, coherent Empire. We are in constant danger, hated and feared simply for who and what we are. Few people know what we really do, far fewer ever thank us.”

Walking back to the table, he looked down at the boy. “But we will hone you and refine you. We will educate you to the highest level possible, and use that knowledge to do things you've never thought of. We will take very ability you have and stretch you in ways you can't even imagine. We will give you new skills: train you in deceit, sabotage, infiltration, seduction, diplomacy, assassination, whatever is needed to get a job done. And sometimes we will send you out to kill, and often into situations where there is a real possibility that you will be killed."
Control, passion, diligence: these three principles shape your world.

Lord Scourge: To repeat a mistake and expect a beneficial outcome is a sign of insanity.

bright_ephemera
12.26.2012 , 05:22 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Syart View Post
Few people know what we really do, far fewer ever thank us.”
Love this.
the Short Fic Weekly Challenge - 70+ authors to date. 1900+ stories. New prompts weekly!
Bright's Fanfic Threads
Forever Shenanigans!
Ceterum autem censeo, Malavai esse delendam.

Syart
12.28.2012 , 04:08 AM | #14
The boy was sitting quite still, his face a strange mixture of confusion, eagerness, interest and fright.

The Minder sat down again and sipped his coffee. "Tell me, boy, what had you planned to do with your life, before you irritated your headmaster beyond bearing?" His expression showed nothing but slight amusement and sympathetic interest.

The abrupt change of subject from recruitment speech to questioning again jarred him. Taken aback, he gaped at the Minder in silence. The Minder's expression of apparently genuine interest didn't change, he just sat and waited and sipped his coffee.

The boy's mouth was feeling dry again, so he took another drink. A bewildering succession of thoughts passed through his mind at high speed. Eventually they crystallised into something that might have been expressed as: No-one ever took this much interest in me before, they probably know everything about me already so there's no point in holding back, and, being honest, I kind of like this guy and he's easy to talk to.

He took a deep breath and gathered himself. "Well, I .. I thought of being a doctor. When I was little, you know? It's fascinating, how things work, cells and biochemistry, ways to manipulate it, and fix things, with drugs, or gene splicing and other tech, that sort of thing. And the differences between species, like the vascular structures in Iridonians with their two hearts, and the way the Twi'lek digestion works, it's really complex and their liver works in multiple stages ... umm … “, he was visibly lighting up with enthusiasm but then consciously damped it down, not wanting to start babbling.

He thought a moment then shrugged. “But, well, I don't really like people all that much." He smiled ruefully." I don't have the empathy or sympathy or whatever it is you need. No-one would like my bedside manner. So I got more into computing and electronics and looked at cybernetics a bit. I was thinking of going for biotechnology research instead, but the school wasn't interested."

The Minder continued to listen, still without saying anything. The boy gulped the remainder of his juice and shrugged again. "They weren't teaching me anything useful, hell, I knew more than the teachers in some classes. So I just messed around a lot and got in trouble, and .. well, I guess I could've just left, but it was kind of more fun deliberately doing really annoying stuff so they'd kick me out.” He gave the Minder a slightly sheepish grin.

The Minder grinned back. “So having succeeded, what were you going to do next?”

The boy shifted uneasily in his chair and shuffled his feet on the floor. “I … ", he stopped for a moment, “I guess I thought of making a living through hacking the nets, moving credits around, selling information, that sort of stuff.” He looked down, embarrassed, and wondering why he'd gone quite that far in his confessions.

Lord Scourge: To repeat a mistake and expect a beneficial outcome is a sign of insanity.

Syart
12.30.2012 , 03:25 AM | #15
The Minder nodded and sipped his coffee thoughtfully. "A very honest answer. Your efforts in that direction so far are rather amateurish, understandably, but the assessment was that they showed considerable promise. I'm sure you would have succeeded and probably done very well out of it, if we hadn't intervened."

The boy blushed scarlet and the Minder smiled briefly. "We could certainly support and use you in both areas, you know. Intelligence does a lot of research, mostly via the Imperial Science Bureau. We have a number of projects set up in the biomedical and technical areas and more planned. And naturally we spend a lot of time gathering information and hacking the various holonets. Rather less of the credit transferring, obviously.” The boy blushed again, but the Minder continued. “However, we think you have the skills for active fieldwork, as an Imperial Agent."

A yearning look was added to the boy's expression, but awkward to the end, he asked, "What happens if I say no?"

"You walk out of here. And we keep on watching you forever. Remember: useful, or dangerous."

“Dangerous how?”

“Highly able and intelligent but disaffected people have a tendency to become the brains of criminal enterprises, up to and including violent terrorism. Nuclei around which lesser criminals and street thugs coalesce, becoming organised and far more destructive than if left to their own devices. Things which destabilise the Empire.”

The boy nodded. "What about my parents? Can they object or anything?"

The Minder shook his head. "You're legally an adult, it's your decision. As soon as you turned sixteen this approach was scheduled. The expulsion merely brought it forward a little. And made it a little more interesting, for both of us."

"They'll be glad to get me off their hands, most likely. I'm trouble, they always preferred my good little well-behaved brother and sister anyway." The boy's tone was sneering, but with a tiny hint of wistfulness. He put his empty cup down on the table and went to stare out of the window again.

bright_ephemera
12.30.2012 , 10:17 AM | #16
The boy's mouth was feeling dry again, so he took another drink. A bewildering succession of thoughts passed through his mind at high speed. Eventually they crystallised into something that might have been expressed as: No-one ever took this much interest in me before, they probably know everything about me already so there's no point in holding back, and, being honest, I kind of like this guy and he's easy to talk to.

He took a deep breath and gathered himself. "Well, I .. I thought of being a doctor. When I was little, you know? It's fascinating, how things work, cells and biochemistry, ways to manipulate it, and fix things, with drugs, or gene splicing and other tech, that sort of thing. And the differences between species, like the vascular structures in Iridonians with their two hearts, and the way the Twi'lek digestion works, it's really complex and their liver works in multiple stages ... umm … “, he was visibly lighting up with enthusiasm but then consciously damped it down, not wanting to start babbling.
Teenager brain.
the Short Fic Weekly Challenge - 70+ authors to date. 1900+ stories. New prompts weekly!
Bright's Fanfic Threads
Forever Shenanigans!
Ceterum autem censeo, Malavai esse delendam.

iamthehoyden
12.31.2012 , 06:22 PM | #17
"They weren't teaching me anything useful, hell, I knew more than the teachers in some classes. So I just messed around a lot and got in trouble, and .. well, I guess I could've just left, but it was kind of more fun deliberately doing really annoying stuff so they'd kick me out.”
Love this. It describes so many of my ex-students perfectly, hehe.
aren't you a little short for a stormtrooper?
---------------
Fan Fiction: My Name is Solomon Crae The Man in the Box

Syart
01.01.2013 , 05:27 AM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by bright_ephemera View Post
Teenager brain.
Quote: Originally Posted by iamthehoyden View Post
Love this. It describes so many of my ex-students perfectly, hehe.
*grins* I have a 17-year-old nephew whom I love very dearly and am exceedingly proud of. He is in no way, shape, or form a juvenile delinquent; he's head boy of his school and working hard for his exams with the intention to become a physiotherapist. But I did borrow from him for this tale

Hope you like the small twist I'm about to post

Syart
01.01.2013 , 05:28 AM | #19
The Minder waited patiently, without comment, sipping his coffee.

After about ten minutes, the boy turned around and came back to the table. The confusion had gone from his face; he was still nervous, but determined. "All right, I'm in", he said.

The Minder smiled, almost triumphantly. "Excellent, I hoped you would." He stood up, put down his coffee cup and extended his hand for the boy to shake. "Welcome to your new life, Eckard Lokin."

Beniboybling
01.01.2013 , 07:16 AM | #20
The Minder waited patiently, without comment, sipping his coffee.

After about ten minutes, the boy turned around and came back to the table. The confusion had gone from his face; he was still nervous, but determined. "All right, I'm in", he said.

The Minder smiled, almost triumphantly. "Excellent, I hoped you would." He stood up, put down his coffee cup and extended his hand for the boy to shake. "Welcome to your new life, Eckard Lokin."
*gasp* brilliant! Just read all of this in one go and its brilliant. Few fan fictions on here click with me but I really like this one. Keep it up!