Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Lodestone: A Wynston/Ruth Alternate Universe

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content > Fan Fiction
Lodestone: A Wynston/Ruth Alternate Universe

Vesaniae
01.07.2013 , 11:19 AM | #151
Okay, I'll record the gut reaction of no actual thinking or clarifying involved:

OMG OMG OMG OMG *flails on the keyboard*

...that was really great. I was practically bouncing up and down in my chair from excitement as I read. And no one died! I'm so disappointed!

...nah, just kidding.
Force Lightning: The solution to every problem. Every. Problem.
Afterimages * Walking Penumbral * Like Moths to the Flame
Forever Shenanigans!

Estelindis
01.07.2013 , 03:23 PM | #152
The tension was incredible. I really didn't know what Quinn was going to do when it came to Wynston. Your explanation of the two situations makes perfect sense.

Also, as others have noted, Quinn telling Cole that he didn't have to obey an unjust order was brilliantly appropriate. It did get me thinking again about the moral status of the sith warrior vs. Quinn. I know that trying to kill the woman you supposedly love because you've been ordered to do so is a big deal, but there are a number of things you have to do as a warrior to advance the story that are fairly despicable too. Even someone who went as light-sidey as the game allows can't avoid some really disgusting actions.

So... yeah, I still feel bad for Quinn, in spite of everything. It's a shame that not everyone could have what they wanted... but that was never going to happen... and they still ended up in wonderfully happy positions compared to RMC. You made it clear that this version of Quinn loves his son with a purer, stronger love than he ever felt for Ruth, and they've ended up both alive and able to have a role in each other's on-going existence. Ruth and Wynston have been reconciled beautifully. They're two passionate, eternally-giving people who really deserve each other.

Sometimes I really like a happy ending.

So, ultimately, this story satisfied me very much. I am only sorry that it's over now, though the ending was great. You're really talented. Thanks for writing and sharing.

bright_ephemera
01.07.2013 , 05:17 PM | #153
Whew! Thank you all! I don't have an epilogue written up just yet but I have a few images in mind. One or two followup scenes will be posted here at some point. I'll also be doing one or two quote-heavy comment responses. Until then, an analysis essay. See, once upon a time, Wynston, instead of staying in the office suppressing his personal issues and prepping careful political maneuvering, just went where his heart told him to go. From there, how did things go differently and why?

Spoiler
the Short Fic Weekly Challenge - 70+ authors to date. 1900+ stories. New prompts weekly!
Bright's Fanfic Threads
Forever Shenanigans!
Ceterum autem censeo, Malavai esse delendam.

iamthehoyden
01.07.2013 , 05:27 PM | #154
Quote: Originally Posted by bright_ephemera View Post
Thanks for reading
And thank you for writing. It's been a heart-in-the-throat, throw-the-paperback-at-the-wall, cheer-out-loud-and-scare-the-dog ride and so worth it
aren't you a little short for a stormtrooper?
---------------
Fan Fiction: My Name is Solomon Crae The Man in the Box

Estelindis
01.07.2013 , 05:43 PM | #155
What-ifs are great fun. What-ifs written by authors with an accurate grasp of everything that makes their characters tick, along with a deft hand that changes what would be most interesting to change, are amazing, as evidenced above! Was lovely to get your analysis of what made the difference here.

It's kind of you to thank us for reading, but it was a great pleasure to read, especially since you updated so often. My days won't be the same in the meantime.

bright_ephemera
01.07.2013 , 06:42 PM | #156
Quote: Originally Posted by irishfino View Post
At least Quinn wasn't stupid.
Major challenge for the man, but he made it.

Quote: Originally Posted by iamthehoyden View Post
Omg, Quinn and Colrand...I just. My stomach in knots. Quinn saying something is an "unjust command." Only took you, what, seventeen years and a mind-controlled son to figure that out?!?!
This was the opportunity to do brutal poetic justice and have Quinn die at the hands of a loved one on his known-questionable superior's command. However, actually ending it that way would've needlessly brutalized a youngster for no reason other than to punish a guy who has already lost enough. The point's been made: love and will were already winning over command everywhere else. I decided not to drive it into the main offender's skull with a lightsaber.

QUINNNNN!!! YOU LEFT WYNSTON TO DIE?!?!?!?!?! OMG DIAFF YOU MONSTER!!!
I didn't know what Quinn was going to do when I wrote him walking away. I had spent hours wondering. It felt false to the character to have him suddenly have a change of heart and begin tenderly ministering to his fellow sentient as a recognition of their I don't even know what. It felt senselessly awful for him to finish the murdering job. I gave serious thought to having Colrand just hit Quinn on the head really hard so I wouldn't have to think about it. Instead, Quinn, who must be as conflicted as I was, walked. Where? To the ship, nowhere else to go. That bit about fixing things if he must and not getting too choked up if they break while he's walking, that all developed after he stepped away.

Doc, just for being un-BELIEVABLY awesome, I will someday make a jk that will want to stay with you rather than Scourge. Somehow. You deserve it, man.
I'm sure he'll put the "scum" back into "charming scum" as soon as he finds a girl who doesn't know him yet. But oh, when he's good, he's very very good.

Quote:
"Forgiven. Anything else is your call."
This is a noncommittal way of saying "I am still hopelessly and completely yours, um, but I'm trying not to make this into a risk or a scary thing."

..omg...they're all alive. <3 Bright!!! They're all alive!!! Yayyyy!!!!!
Honestly, Quinn was the only one who naturally strayed close to death, and his martyrdom would've felt too pat. I didn't like the idea. (For once!)

Quote: Originally Posted by kabeone View Post
Many favorites from this <3

once again GIRLFRIENDPOWER I don't even care Ruth and Gith! it's a thing in my head they will save the universe together.
It would be such a one-sided relationship. Both of them would be thinking really loudly about what god-awful personal messes the other is, but only Larr Gith would be saying it

…actually, no, I'm sure that after a wacky pilot episode something would happen that encourages Ruth to start shamelessly criticizing Larr Gith as well. They will become crime-fighting girlfriends and sitcom-worthily-awful girlfriends to their respective rakish beaux.

mmm... Scourge.... So him. Exactly the delay he would not put up with and exactly what he would do. If you need someone for necessary backstabbing he's your man.
Get to the point, people I'm stuck working with, or I will get to it for you.

Quote:
Doc whistled. "You carry this much synthplasma around in your field kit? Exactly how much bleeding goes on in your average workday?"

"Use it or don't," Quinn snapped. He returned to his pack, which beneath the two hastily thrown-in bags was immaculately organized, pulled out some supplies of his own, and turned his attention to Colrand.

I love this almost as much as their encounter in NDOW:ComicCon.
Of all the companion crossovers I've written, NDOW Quinn/Doc is one of the ones I'm proudest of. (Fun fact, Pierce/Rusk in that same battle is another.) Those medic boys just…yeah. There's promise there.

Oooooh just a 'soldier' now hmmm? Good Ruth ... smart Ruth... *pats Ruth* OW ok... I'll stop.
Ouch, thanks for the sympathy. Remind me not to call you in tears during my next breakup. :P

Quote:
Her eyes stung. "Let's get you back to the ship," she said hoarsely. She scooped him up once more and let him drape his arms around her neck. "I love you," she said as she walked.

He rested his head on her shoulder. "Again."

"I love you. I love you, and I'm sorry."

"Just the first part."

"I love you," she repeated, and he didn't seem to get tired of it, all the way back to the ship.
double d'aaaaaaaaw (also imagery of this is fantastic and only not absurd because BT1 )
yup This would've been more awkward if they weren't about 5'6" and 5'7" respectively, with him on the wiry side. He's still got muscle mass, but Ruth's all Force-strengthy; the awkward thing would've just been the bulk of him if he were much bigger than she is.

And the best part? Quinn figures out how not to be a bastard and the person he saves? WYNSTON. <3

Great story, bright. Loved it top to bottom even though it stabbed me in the gut and made me angry on too many occasions to count.

Quote: Originally Posted by Vesaniae View Post
And no one died! I'm so disappointed!
*hem* Edit: Rocks fall, three randomly selected major characters die.
Quote: Originally Posted by Vesaniae View Post

...nah, just kidding.
Shoot! Too late

Quote: Originally Posted by Estelindis View Post
Also, as others have noted, Quinn telling Cole that he didn't have to obey an unjust order was brilliantly appropriate. It did get me thinking again about the moral status of the sith warrior vs. Quinn. I know that trying to kill the woman you supposedly love because you've been ordered to do so is a big deal, but there are a number of things you have to do as a warrior to advance the story that are fairly despicable too. Even someone who went as light-sidey as the game allows can't avoid some really disgusting actions.
I've thought some about the question of when the Warrior really has a choice, both in game mechanics and out. When Baras grabs you by the scruff of the neck at the Academy? Not likely. You're in little to no position to argue. And he keeps an eye on you throughout your tasks. The only nice thing you get is that everyone knows you're Baras's enforcer; you're not surprising anybody or betraying their personal trust when you start swinging. You're stuck doing a whole lot of ugly things, and sometimes the best that can be said is that at least you never misrepresented it.

Quote: Originally Posted by Estelindis View Post

Sometimes I really like a happy ending.

So, ultimately, this story satisfied me very much.
I do like both those conditions! I was hoping I could work poor Ruth around to getting both. Glad you enjoyed!
the Short Fic Weekly Challenge - 70+ authors to date. 1900+ stories. New prompts weekly!
Bright's Fanfic Threads
Forever Shenanigans!

bright_ephemera
01.09.2013 , 06:28 AM | #157
Epilogue, scene 1: On the Fury

Spoiler
Bright's Fanfic Threads
Forever Shenanigans!

bright_ephemera
01.09.2013 , 11:44 AM | #158
Epilogue, scene 2: On Dromund Kaas

Spoiler
Bright's Fanfic Threads
Forever Shenanigans!

bright_ephemera
01.09.2013 , 12:46 PM | #159
...So apparently my brain is more interested in actual psychological fallout than neat tying-up of happy-ending strings. Thanks, brain! Seriously, though, things'll even out.

Just not between Quinn and Wynston. I don't see that ever, ever getting friendly. Instead, we have a cease-fire with the understanding that they'll stay out of mutual line of sight. Hooray, diplomacy!

I have a couple other things in mind for...sometime. Nothing tremendously earth (Kaas?)-shaking.
Bright's Fanfic Threads
Forever Shenanigans!

iamthehoyden
01.09.2013 , 01:42 PM | #160
Quote: Originally Posted by bright_ephemera View Post
Just not between Quinn and Wynston. I don't see that ever, ever getting friendly. Instead, we have a cease-fire with the understanding that they'll stay out of mutual line of sight. Hooray, diplomacy!.
Hey, that's some serious progress there!
Quote:
"Did you really think I would leave you over a little thing like a perforated lung?"
Stubborn man, lol.
aren't you a little short for a stormtrooper?
---------------
Fan Fiction: My Name is Solomon Crae The Man in the Box