Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

A.P.T. for PvP (Anti Smash J.O.A.T.)

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Classes > Vanguard / Powertech
A.P.T. for PvP (Anti Smash J.O.A.T.)

MyDominion
12.17.2012 , 04:37 PM | #1
As a newer ish Powertech,(made this guy for 1.6) I hav'nt been through the changes over the last year. The carolina parakeet build I have only read about and I even missed 'iron fist.' I have been doing alot of reading/research from experienced PT's and have been experimenting with different builds/concepts.

It seems the most popular build is a 4/6/31 Pyrotech build that focuses on Maximizing your burst DPS and is built around railshot. I have had fun with this build, but have found that the lack of defensive cooldowns/talents makes the build a bit of a glass cannon build. (If you run with guard on you and a healer it is very nice for burning down targets).

For those of us that don't have the luxury of guard or a consistent healer, I felt like I was missing something with a Pyrotech build (especially playing on a server where it is common to fight against pre mades in none ranked alot). So I sought out to try to find a build that would be a jack of all trades, good survivability, utility, dps.

I'm not claiming to be the first or that this is anything special, I just want to share my thoughts on a build that I've recently started working on and is getting results for me. (still working out kinks and refining alot)

It's a 10/31/0 Advanced prototype build that utilizes ion gas cylinder. http://www.torhead.com/skill-calc#301GoMMZMsrrobfkds.2 I'll write down the reasons why I like it and what it's about, and hopefully people can critique give thoughts so that I can improve it and to stimulate discussion.

I'll start with gear. I run a heavy power gear build, I've replaced 4 of my armor pieces with min/maxed power mod/enhancement. Every piece I use has power on it aside from my belt which has 39 crit. I use overkill 22 blue mods (+10 end +16 power). I took the mods out of the War Hero none shield generator (has power/surge) and put them into a shield generator. (all parts aside from shells from WH gear)

The concept is this.. I enjoy having more of a purpose than just throwing out DPS. I like the idea of more utility and being able to use guard on the fly as well as the tankiness of APT. The highlights of the build are this...

+60% armor (from ion gas cylinder) gives 51.78% (with my current gear) damage reduction against energy/kinetic
7% dmg reduction at all times- 5% from ion gas and 2% from power armor in APT tree.
37% dmg reduction from AOE (5% gas 2% power armor and 30% from stabalized armor)
Don't like smash or force sweep see above ^^^^^
37-67% dmg reduction when stunned and AOE'd (The ability says 'in addition' So not sure if the damage reduction stacks, someone can answer this for me)
20% change for shield for 20% dmg reduction
5%dmg reduction from combust
Ability to use Guard (priceless in preserving healers/tanks/dps in a variety of situations)
Reduction on grapple cooldown 10 seconds (Great for huttball for pulls to firetraps/saves. How many times are seconds left on the cooldown when you need it most, also for peels on healers)
Interupt reduced to 6 seconds (hitman APT)
Hydraulic over rides (from APT tree) 30 second cooldown for 8 seconds immunity from CC and 30% speed buff. (Amazing for Hutball and any engagement and super low cooldown (healers can't keep you off them)
Snares From both prototype flamer thrower, hamstring, and ion gas proc (healers can't keep you off them)
(Also the 70% snare works great when 2 or more are bunched in combination with another death from above or smash.)
Your damage is still solid, it's not as bursty as pyro..but you still will hit steadily. You have quite a few damage options, so the rotation keeps you busy and there are multiple procs within the APT tree to guarantee crit or reduce ability heat to 0)
Most abilities are internal/elemental dmg which bypass armor rating.

This post is long enough, there are other nice things as well. But these are some highlights. You get a solid mix of quite a few different abilities, high survivability, good dps, great utility (especially using guard and your two taunts). Let me know what you think.
Jung Ma

FeralPug
12.17.2012 , 04:56 PM | #2
Wouldn't it be cool if specs like the one above were actually viable?

It's a shame that it's not. Here's why:

-you'll overheat very fast.
-the shield mechanic is crappy, only mitigating a little bit of damage from two out of the 4 damage types.
-it's not pyro

AP, even though it looks more survivable on paper, is really not much better than pyro due to a lack of energy rebounder. I find that I actually end up having less deaths as full pyro because I can kill opponents faster than with AP. AP, in all its forms, is gimped. Shieldtech is gimped. We have one spec and that's full, 31 point pyro.

I've dueled our guild healers with every spec under the sun. These are superb healers, and are among the server's best. There is only one spec that is head and tails above the others for bringing spikey, unhealable burst to bear on a single target: 31 point pyro. Anything less is a sub-par "fun" spec (though some pyro "hybrids" crank out high final numbers, they still can't come close to producing the spike that a well timed TD/RS combo can and are regarded by the healers I run with as easily-healed-through specs). Nothin' wrong with fun, but don't kid yourself into thinking your not gimped in comparison.

It's not a good thing that we have one viable spec, as I've been saying for months, but that's the state of powertechs right now. I don't see it changing any time soon unfortunately.
Jerc Starr Jercules Jercenary Drastic
Social 1. Valor 100.

<Hex> www.tehhex.com

Nightkin
12.17.2012 , 04:59 PM | #3
This is a video of your build in action, its not bursty or fantastic in damage but its quite fun

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ezoGOxpX9o

dijskykiller
12.17.2012 , 05:09 PM | #4
Have you played this spec for at least a week? The problem that this spec has is heat. Going all the way up the AP tree requires you to pick HEGC to be able to have sustained dps and utilize those talents effectively, without it you'll just overheat or lose dps. I mean, you spent points on damaging skills of AP such as PFT, FB, auto crit of RS, and Immolate, but you won't be able to utilize it to its highest potential because of IGC. I would prefer a higher shieldtech skill base while picking up power armor from AP tree or go all the way up ST if you want to play defensive. Also, you can just use the standard AP spec, which has really good sustained dps that's a little bit behind pyro with good mitigation.
Hankk Dubs
Scrapper Scoundrel
Backrocket Bastards
RP swag, PvP flagged.

Cryowolf
12.17.2012 , 05:13 PM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by MyDominion View Post
The concept is this.. I enjoy having more of a purpose than just throwing out DPS. I like the idea of more utility and being able to use guard on the fly as well as the tankiness of APT. The highlights of the build are this...
It's a fun build and it does pack in the utility. All the positives you listed are great. The only negatives I really found with it are that:

1. Without Shield Vents in the Shield Tech tree, running Ion Gas Cylinder will overheat you quickly if you are trying to help focus anything down.

2. By not running in High Energy Gas Cylinder or being able to pick up Iron Fist, all of your high damage moves, such as Immolate, Rocket Punch and Flame Burst will not be hitting as hard.

All in all though it is alot of fun and you feel like you can do a bit of everything. Good luck with it.
Raisins--Scoundrel--The Harbinger

MyDominion
12.17.2012 , 05:59 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by FeralPug View Post
Wouldn't it be cool if specs like the one above were actually viable?

It's a shame that it's not. Here's why:

-you'll overheat very fast.
-the shield mechanic is crappy, only mitigating a little bit of damage from two out of the 4 damage types.
-it's not pyro

AP, even though it looks more survivable on paper, is really not much better than pyro due to a lack of energy rebounder. I find that I actually end up having less deaths as full pyro because I can kill opponents faster than with AP. AP, in all its forms, is gimped. Shieldtech is gimped. We have one spec and that's full, 31 point pyro.

I've dueled our guild healers with every spec under the sun. These are superb healers, and are among the server's best. There is only one spec that is head and tails above the others for bringing spikey, unhealable burst to bear on a single target: 31 point pyro. Anything less is a sub-par "fun" spec (though some pyro "hybrids" crank out high final numbers, they still can't come close to producing the spike that a well timed TD/RS combo can and are regarded by the healers I run with as easily-healed-through specs). Nothin' wrong with fun, but don't kid yourself into thinking your not gimped in comparison.

It's not a good thing that we have one viable spec, as I've been saying for months, but that's the state of powertechs right now. I don't see it changing any time soon unfortunately.
-I rotate rapid shots to keep heat from rising too fast (just like pyro utilizes rapid shots, but a bit more so)
-I can't argue the shield mechanice is'nt good, but it still functions and provides dmg mitigation
-Pyro is great, if you all you want to do is burst and high dps. The spec offers nothing else.

I disagree about survivability, espeically in the climate of smash/force sweep...and in an overall sense. I've noticed a leap in survivability and damage mitigation. Your build you take 100% (minus your personal mitigation vs. smash/force sweep). This build you take 37% less dmg from it. It's just numbers. I do miss energy rebounder, but I appreciate the full time boost to dmg mitigation from this build.

Your abo****ely right, this build will not burn down healers. But that's not what it is designed for, this build is for PT's that want higher survivability sustained damage and utility. Also those frustrated with being CC'd constantly by pre mades that know how to utilize their CC perfectly. Hydraulic over rides are a great counter to that.
Jung Ma

MyDominion
12.17.2012 , 06:10 PM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by dijskykiller View Post
Have you played this spec for at least a week? The problem that this spec has is heat. Going all the way up the AP tree requires you to pick HEGC to be able to have sustained dps and utilize those talents effectively, without it you'll just overheat or lose dps. I mean, you spent points on damaging skills of AP such as PFT, FB, auto crit of RS, and Immolate, but you won't be able to utilize it to its highest potential because of IGC. I would prefer a higher shieldtech skill base while picking up power armor from AP tree or go all the way up ST if you want to play defensive. Also, you can just use the standard AP spec, which has really good sustained dps that's a little bit behind pyro with good mitigation.
Heat can definately be an issue, especially if you are playing against a team that has 2+ healers. This was written for none ranked players (I understand in ranked you will be beating on someone for considerably longer due to the coordination/ammount of healers/use of CC by skilled teams) . So for ranked you would have to utlize rapid shots more, and be on a team that could use another guard. TBH not sure if this build has a place in a ranked team, it's something I hav'nt done yet.

The concept is built around IGC so their are cons to this, just like every build has them. The idea is to be the Jack of all trades, you basically have your hand in everything the class offers with this build. The only thing of any interest for me from ST tree is Jet charge the rest of what the tree offers seems mostly useless in PvP or minimal in tanking increase. I feel stabalized armor is the tankiest thing offered in any tree.
Jung Ma

MyDominion
12.17.2012 , 06:14 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Cryowolf View Post
It's a fun build and it does pack in the utility. All the positives you listed are great. The only negatives I really found with it are that:

1. Without Shield Vents in the Shield Tech tree, running Ion Gas Cylinder will overheat you quickly if you are trying to help focus anything down.

2. By not running in High Energy Gas Cylinder or being able to pick up Iron Fist, all of your high damage moves, such as Immolate, Rocket Punch and Flame Burst will not be hitting as hard.

All in all though it is alot of fun and you feel like you can do a bit of everything. Good luck with it.
1. Heat can be an issue, I offset it by using rapid shots (with massive power is'nt as weak as someone might think)

2. True I would have the boost of internal/elemental and I go back and forth about the 8% increase to rocket punch, as I said this is very new and not fully fleshed out.

And thanks, I have been having alot of fun with it and feel I offer more to my team. And one of my favorite things is I got stunned and had a double leap/forcesweep and my health did'nt move nearly as much lol. I can't understate this enough the way the game is now and how often smash is encountered, stabalized armor is just amazing.
Jung Ma

MyDominion
12.17.2012 , 06:23 PM | #9
I hav'nt emphasized enough the ability to utilize guard. It is an amazing ability that is underused by PT due to everyone being pyro. Scenario (w/o CC or full resolve bars): DPS is beating on a teamate, if your pyro you taunt(nerf dmg by 30%) start a burst rotation in hopes to burn the dps before he kills your teamate, if he has defensive cool downs teamate up team likely will go down and you will probably finish him off. Your left standing teamate has to rez.

With this build you open with guard (50% mitigation on teamate, transferred to you) Then taunt (now teamate has 80% mitigation) you don't recieve full 50% due to taunt. Your able to land 3-4k crits, dps goes down you and teamate still alive.

I should have added another name in the title. Anti-smash jack of all trades guard build lol

Thanks for the input guys, I'm still working this out.
Jung Ma

MyDominion
12.17.2012 , 06:45 PM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Nightkin View Post
This is a video of your build in action, its not bursty or fantastic in damage but its quite fun

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0ezoGOxpX9o
Nice, that looks like alot of fun. I really like hutball with the spec. I like the cryo/flamethrower combo you used, slick.
Jung Ma