Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

How can anyone take the empire seriously?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
How can anyone take the empire seriously?

Darth_Precursor's Avatar


Darth_Precursor
12.22.2012 , 01:10 AM | #51
Quote: Originally Posted by CrazyOldMystic View Post
Bioware decided however to go a incorrect route and make it seem as both sides fought to a stalemate, its pretty clear by their own lore this was no where near the case.
This is actually incorrect, and ties in directly with the Sith Warrior and Jedi Knight storyline. The Sith Emperor declared a "peace" between them after the sacking of Corusant and a cease-fire. The Sith Empire was working in his own interest as he didn't want the Empire to finish the war yet, because he needed more time to be able to devour the essence of the galaxy itself and preserve his immortality, and he needed the powers of the Empire and Republic to stalemate. The Republic survived because the Sith Emperor allowed it.
Dynaster- Operative Medic
Chillum- Deception Assassin

<GOML>
The Bastion

SithKoriandr's Avatar


SithKoriandr
12.22.2012 , 08:12 AM | #52
With a few exceptions, the Sith Empire itself comes off as (imo) terrible. When you have an organization led by people who think "Ho ho ho kill them all" it just isn't going to last.

And then the storylines have my characters come out all powerful. My SI would go back and kill some of the idiot Sith she met along the way, because they not only go about making slaves, they keep repeating the same line "Aliens are scum"

I just see the empire failing, and failing miserably even before it got to RotJ on that alone. Of course, this could be why the Sith get down to 1 Master/1 Apprentice in the end.

YeIIow's Avatar


YeIIow
01.01.2013 , 07:42 AM | #53
For those who might be interested, i started a topic on The Sith Order and the Jedi Order a couple of days back; notice its not exactly about the Empire and the Republic.... but still i have the feeling that many of those who has participated on this debate will enjoy my thread.... cheers and happy new year:

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=579484
"Forged by Fire; Empowered by Passion"
o◙[//////////]ị:◙:ị{▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒▒)

SithKoriandr's Avatar


SithKoriandr
01.01.2013 , 01:04 PM | #54
Wait. You mean, no one thought it strange and wonder how no Jedi or Sith has seemed to go "Hmmm...maybe there's a place in the middle for us. With no need to be totally cut off or so extreme all the time?"

Okay, from what I recall of the Revan storyline (on Kaas) it is that, but it's like one in MILLIONS!

And for a group that George Lucas has stated isn't a celebate order, I wonder how they get DS points for going with a relationship.

Vlad_Dracul_'s Avatar


Vlad_Dracul_
01.02.2013 , 07:38 AM | #55
First of all, its a game.

And its much more realistic, when Empire have every kind of people. You cant expect that theyre all on hundred percent evil and sadistic lol also not all are highly experienced with best capabilities.

Problem is, that only Emperor could ever made real order. Now when he's temporarily gone, there are many problems making by Sith without control of their Supreme Master.

psandak's Avatar


psandak
01.02.2013 , 04:34 PM | #56
Quote: Originally Posted by SithKoriandr View Post
And for a group that George Lucas has stated isn't a celebate order, I wonder how they get DS points for going with a relationship.
The Jedi go through peaks and valleys of allowing relationships and not. Conversations between the (male) JK and Kira elaborate on this. At times when the Jedi numbers are low, the leaders ease up on the reins and allow relationships and marriage to increase their numbers. But during the time of SWTOR, the Jedi are numerous and therefore the Jedi Code is more strictly adhered to. Further, even in the strict adherence times, relationships are not forbidden but they are discouraged and when they do happen the participants have the Jedi Council watching their every step.

Getting back on topic, to me the Star Wars Empire is no different than any other fictional organization bent on world/galactic domination. In the overwhelming majority of cases, the participants are caricatures of reality. The problem is that we as players get to play the "hero of the villains," as it were. And so when we are surrounded by paranoids, bi-polars, sociopaths, and psychopaths it is difficult to take them seriously.

SithVeritas's Avatar


SithVeritas
01.02.2013 , 10:10 PM | #57
Oh boy, OP obviously has no knowledge of Star Wars lore other than what the games and movies have given him.

Read any EU material and you'll have your answer.

BlueArab's Avatar


BlueArab
01.03.2013 , 09:23 AM | #58
Quote: Originally Posted by Lium View Post
My main is a 50 sentinel and has been since I've been playing SWTOR. Recently, however, I've started playing a marauder so I can experience the other side of the story. And as I'm leveling up and doing all the quests, I keep thinking, "How can anyone take the empire seriously?"

I know this is Star Wars and other than Anakin and Revan most evil in the universe is pretty cartoonish. But just from a strategic standpoint, most of the thinking of the imperial officers, Sith Lords and Grand Moffs are beyond silly. I've heard a lot that part of the reason the empire has more players is because the stories are better.

Really? When?

Because even though I'm having fun playing my marauder, the writing is really after school cartoon quality. Maybe it's because I'm playing a Sith and not an agent or a bounty hunter. I hear that the IA story is one of the best in the game. While the Force users have really hokey stories.

I can believe that. Because as I said before, I'm left wondering how anyone can take the empire seriously at all.
Any specific examples? Or just aimless trolling?

SithKoriandr's Avatar


SithKoriandr
01.03.2013 , 12:55 PM | #59
Quote: Originally Posted by BlueArab View Post
Any specific examples? Or just aimless trolling?
Sooo...it's trolling for the OP to have a question on the storyline and writing of it?

TheBetty's Avatar


TheBetty
01.03.2013 , 07:01 PM | #60
Quote: Originally Posted by Marak View Post
I have finished 6/8 of the class stories.

I would rank them thusly:
IA > SW > Smuggler > SI > JK > JC.

Empire stories are just better. You say afternoon cartoon? JK is the very definition of cliche afternoon cartoon. JC tried to go the more mature route but fell flat on keeping it interesting. IA is good enough to be its own full feature film. SW is amazing if you actually RP it (by that I mean making choices based on the situation and not full dark or full light). If you just mash the dark button it's cheesy.

Although I tend to agree that the overarching empire bits leave a lot to be desired.
I agree. IA story blows all others out of the water. I tried playing republic story lines but in comparison to the storylines of the Empire I have played all the way through IA, SW, SI. They just seemed, well.....boring.

From previous comments, I believe the Empire chose DK as their home world because of the strong dark side energy that resides there. It's not an ideal planet for a city that's a given, but there is a lot of power there.

If you go through a descent amount of story comment for the Empire, what a serious threat they are and smart they have to fight, considering they are greatly outnumbered in regards to military. There was one cut scene I particularly enjoyed
Spoiler
If force choking Jawas is wrong, I don't want to be right.