Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

How can anyone take the empire seriously?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
How can anyone take the empire seriously?

Kleryk's Avatar


Kleryk
12.17.2012 , 08:48 AM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Master-Nala View Post
Spoiler


Both sides stories are presented as you have to save the day.
Strange, in my opinion it looks much different than my version of republic quests. I have to admit that Tatooine is worst with the "OMG, MY LORD, WE NEED HELP WITH THOSE FEROCIOUS JAWAS!", but Balmorra? All I remember was pretty much what I wrote earlier about the Sith spearheading the assault. Did they lose Balmorra?

You are wrong when it comes to Alderaan imho.
Spoiler


What I mean, aside from occasional PC saving some imperial NPCs or doing errands for them, is that most of the quests revolve around one thing - performing face surgery with a glowstick/blaster on everyone who disagrees with the Empire to subdue him while Republic actions are like wrapping a car that falls apart with duct tape so it holds just a bit longer. Rep side Hoth was pathetic, for example.

If it wasn't for the Havoc Squad, it'd just lose one battle after another.

And what does Sith Warrior do in his storyline?
Spoiler


Edit:
Forgot to add - It's not really like that on Dromund Kaas. You pretty much do errands to hurt the rebelling lord, you get a task(not a plea for help, mind you!) to infiltrate Revanites and as for the slaves.. well, that's the only case of you actually saving someone's *** because of the officer's incompetence.
At least I have chicken.

kamed's Avatar


kamed
12.17.2012 , 08:48 AM | #22
I don't really know much about the Star Wars universe, but after playing both Sith War and Inqs story lines, their society as a whole resembles much like the Drow in the D&D fantasy setting, except more chaotic. A lot of back-stabbing, in-fighting, disagreeing and that is pretty much the only thing that prevents the forces of good from being totally overwhelmed.

Sindorin's Avatar


Sindorin
12.17.2012 , 08:51 AM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by HammersteinSW View Post
Empire...lol.

All they have is a crappy small city on a jungle planet, which would blow up if they don't keep a 24/7 watch on their lightning spires. Plus they can't go anywhere since major portions of their own planet are now controlled by rebelling slaves, a rogue Sith lord, an invading mercenary army and a bunch of angry Mandalorians.

I wonder how they can ever get something done, when they can't even control their homeworld ?!
I fixed all that a while ago...
For The Empire!

Oya, Surtr! Ni su'cuyi, gar kyr'adyc, ni partayli, gar darasuum!

Auraleus's Avatar


Auraleus
12.17.2012 , 09:06 AM | #24
I dunno, I have had the opposite experience of the OP. Playing the Republic everyone is like corrupt or defecting and they are always outgunned and outmanned. There were times I just wanted to take my Sent and kill off my own faction they were so pathetic.

Empire felt a lot more organized and in control of the planets. Sure there were "help me" quests, but the overall tone was "we just conquered this, this, this and this, how about you go have some fun and kill a bunch of people?"

It is all perspective, I suppose

urborror's Avatar


urborror
12.17.2012 , 09:06 AM | #25
The writing does bog down in cliches or MMO quest-absurdity, often, which is why I find it hard to play Republic. The Jedis are unrelentingly boring. Even the Jedi Knight story almost put me to sleep. Jedis are really boring in the prequel trilogy, too, so it's not even Bioware's fault.

I could never go dark-side in most Bioware games because I took the characters too seriously. But there's a tight, focused story in SP games. In my opinion the best writing in TOR basically shows how the Sith Empire is a fractious mess doomed to failure, and your Sith is a part of that dysfunction.

Also, imagining a universe with trillions of people, the idea that 100 people compete to be Sith and only 1 survives is totally plausible, even if you imagine there are 100,000 Sith running around.

Sith might be cartoonishly villainous, but it keeps me sort of interested, since the story is not gripping or tight, otherwise, because of the hugeness. And I'm not dogpiling on the game like trolls and "critics." Yeah: the stories could have been better, even as they stand (i.e., removing the ridiculous "gift" requirement for seeing companion conversations,) but in an MMO like this they are pretty great.

NSStember's Avatar


NSStember
12.17.2012 , 09:20 AM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by HammersteinSW View Post
Empire...lol.

All they have is a crappy small city on a jungle planet, which would blow up if they don't keep a 24/7 watch on their lightning spires. Plus they can't go anywhere since major portions of their own planet are now controlled by rebelling slaves, a rogue Sith lord, an invading mercenary army and a bunch of angry Mandalorians.

I wonder how they can ever get something done, when they can't even control their homeworld ?!
As opposed to the lawless gangs that seem to control every corner of Coruscant?

TheBBP's Avatar


TheBBP
12.17.2012 , 09:22 AM | #27
Quote: Originally Posted by lollie View Post
Wait - we take games seriously...?
Have you not noticed the e-rage on these forums? Folks take this game VERY seriously.
REPUBLIC TROOPERS
Crosswire - Heavy GunnerElíta-one - Combat Medic
Canonball - Pointman

Ebon Hawk

Master-Nala's Avatar


Master-Nala
12.17.2012 , 09:26 AM | #28
I think Bioware should get some credit for the fact that reasonable people can come to opposite conclusions about these stories. While I generally hate the Empire stories (except SW and BH Act I) and love the Republic stories, I can recognize the appeal of the Empire. You know you did good when folks can have a good nerd fight over it!
My 60s:Alana-Balance, Myschal-Ruffian, Vodoun-Vengeance, Alan-Medic, Ztephanie-Hatred, Curiosi-Marksman, Angiola-Concen., Chisami-Arsenal, Rickta-K. Combat, Mioni - Seer, Vesnas-Tactics, Psionicist-TK Sinbad-Sawbones, Arbaaz-Serenity, Nal'aa-Infiltration

Wolfninjajedi's Avatar


Wolfninjajedi
12.17.2012 , 09:31 AM | #29
Because its all opinion on what someone likes/doesn't like?
"There is one lesson you've yet to learn. How to become one with the Force!"
―Cin Drallig to Darth Vader

Maucs the Tauntaun King, former SWG player.

GalacticKegger's Avatar


GalacticKegger
12.17.2012 , 09:40 AM | #30
Quote: Originally Posted by darklordpotter View Post
Yes because the Republic has such amazing control of their homeworld the senate tower nearly gets destroyed by a bunch of low life crooks that's much more impressive right?

I do agree the whole slave rebellion thing is just as pathetic but gameplay / story segregation is your friend here.
Only took a handful of lowlife crooks (albeit well trained lowlife crooks) stealing jet airliners 3 hours to take down the world's largest financial infrastructure and change an entire planet's agenda. No comparison between the two because this is just a game. Life however can be as strange as (though endlessly more indelible than) fiction, so anything is plausible in the realm of gaming when presented right. After all, we are talking about science fiction here. I personally think TOR's story presentations are pretty amazing.
"I bled protecting The People's right to free speech; thus I reserve the right to make them bleed for abusing it."
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ~ Edmund Burke‎
"There is no instance of a country having benefitted from a prolonged war." ~ Sun Tsu