Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

SWTOR should've been a RPG


FeelFlow's Avatar


FeelFlow
12.16.2012 , 04:33 PM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by redsovereign View Post
I would call Mass Effect more of a action game with some story elements, DA:O sucked IMO but thats only my opinion. For me it was just a butchered watered down stupidier abomination version of great classics such as Planescape Torment, Baldurs Gate series and Icewind Dale series. Mass Effect always also for me sucked in the story compartment and I'm glad that SWTOR though cliché is not as badly cliché as the Mass Effect games.

Back to the topic I guess that you what you meant was that the game should be a single player RPG because TOR is a RPG a MMORPG. Personally I honestly thing that the single player RPG thing is starting to kinda die out, just look at both Dragon Age and Mass Effect they are action games and there is very little RPG in them.
Old RPGs was about reading or listening and exploring way more then fightning, acutally fighting was very often a very small portion of the games. From a modern perspective I think they managed to get a good combination of both in TOR.

Lack in MMORPG department? What features do you think that TOR lacks? are you comparing only to WoW because WoW is not the standard of MMORPGs although it has it success much because it combined all good features from games like UO, EQ, Meridian etc and built upon them doesn't magically make WoW everyones favorite game.
So what features do you think is lacking here? WoWs features as in you want a WoW in space or do you mean other features like from EvE or Asian styled MMORPGs or old school MMORPG features?

Share your ideas

Saying "It lacks as a MMORPG" tells us nothing because there is no default MMORPG style. There are those that were built upon old D&D paper and pen styled games and there are niché MMORPGS and there are superhero MMORPGS and there are sci-fi MMORPGS and so on and so on.

You have to be a little more specific on what you think TOR is lacking. Saying that it lacks new content is one thing but just randomly saying that "it lacks" tells us nothing. ATM the endgame in TOR is the exactly same as it is in WoW; a gear grind.

So what features do you want?
Thanks for the post!

OK, I essentially mean an enhanced version of KOTOR:

Story driven

I think that the need to keep the story part of an MMO meant that BW couldn't script the stories or change their direction, significantly. In that respect, there are so many moments where you say or do something not very nice/good and it's pretty much forgotten by the next sentence.

Having a single player game would've allowed for jaw-dropping plot changing experiences i.e. kill/save someone, choose an action etc. which would then completely change the direction of the game.

It would've enabled highly scripted set-pieces too i.e. what we know as Flash Points now could've been made crucial to your class story.

Companion classes could've been bigger and interwoven with the class (and stories from each planet). Again, what you did to your companions could have had significant consequences in the game (i.e. like KOTOR).

Combat
I take your point re. Mass Effect. Well a game has got to be fun. I was never a fan of the paused combat in KOTOR - perhaps what we have now in the game i.e. real time combat (but probably simpler classes and skill trees i.e. it's not an MMO in this alternate reality).

So I guess in the end I mean KOTOR style story mixed with real time MMO style combat.

CelCawdro's Avatar


CelCawdro
12.16.2012 , 04:34 PM | #12
Quote: Originally Posted by FeelFlow View Post
So I guess in the end I mean KOTOR style story mixed with real time MMO style combat.
Isn't that precisely what we got at release?

Also, the role of companions in this game is significantly larger than in KotOR. That being said, some of the more drastic elements of SW:TOR's story in beta (such as killing companions) were dropped due to feedback.

siegedeluxe's Avatar


siegedeluxe
12.16.2012 , 04:35 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by Couver View Post
The reason this game has lost so many subs is because of the sheer amount of MMOs out right now. None of them are bad but, none of them are great either, and it's spreading the populations among all of them pretty thin. No game out right now has a monster amount of subs.
Have you lived under a rock these past 8 years? WoW has the must subscribers in the entire mmo scene (Paying customers, runescape not included).

JPLaro's Avatar


JPLaro
12.16.2012 , 04:35 PM | #14
I think of swtor as an RPG with other people.

I can quest on my own and ignore everyone I want. I can also group up for flashpoints and heroics and I really enjoy those.

Once I have my 12 lvl 50, im gone. (Might come back for 4 more lvl 50s but that will be it).

FeelFlow's Avatar


FeelFlow
12.16.2012 , 04:41 PM | #15
Quote: Originally Posted by CelCawdro View Post
Isn't that precisely what we got at release?

Also, the role of companions in this game is significantly larger than in KotOR. That being said, some of the more drastic elements of SW:TOR's story in beta (such as killing companions) were dropped due to feedback.
Not really. I haven't played all of the stories but I haven't seen a point yet where what you do significantly changes the game story. You might have bits where it's 'Oh no, that's not nice/good!' But then that is soon forgotten. Presumably because it would've been too hard to track multiple plot lines with 8 stories.

I didn't know that about the companions in beta. Interesting. Shame that BW pulled that.

Larce_Apollo's Avatar


Larce_Apollo
12.16.2012 , 04:42 PM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by Couver View Post
The reason this game has lost so many subs is because of the sheer amount of MMOs out right now. None of them are bad but, none of them are great either, and it's spreading the populations among all of them pretty thin. No game out right now has a monster amount of subs.
^This

We also have to contend with the "new" factor and the small attention span gamers have due to how games are marketed.

Countless games my friends have told me are going to be great and they hop to them, only to see them leave in droves for the "next great thing" that is just the same thing over again. I actually put my foot down on this matter and told them I will not be wasting money on games I just played with a different title.

You can blame the software companies for this, but that is because they know the gaming community is filled with enough people dumb enough to keep falling for this trap.

Larcé Apollo - Trooper-Commando/Combat Medic Ω
SWG/Bria Vet - CE Pre-Order - Full Beta Tester
The Army of Light | The Ebon Hawk Server

Rhinzual's Avatar


Rhinzual
12.16.2012 , 04:44 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by siegedeluxe View Post
Have you lived under a rock these past 8 years? WoW has the must subscribers in the entire mmo scene (Paying customers, runescape not included).
Most of WoW's success is due to how huge it is/was in Asia. It took a couple years before it really took off in the west, and you should never take WoW into account to begin with. It's so damn huge that it's basically an anomaly all unto itself, nothing else will ever come close. The pre-existing franchise and huge popularity of Warcraft (both overseas and here) are what allowed it to reach such bizzare numbers anyway.

CelCawdro's Avatar


CelCawdro
12.16.2012 , 04:44 PM | #18
Quote: Originally Posted by FeelFlow View Post
Not really. I haven't played all of the stories but I haven't seen a point yet where what you do significantly changes the game story. You might have bits where it's 'Oh no, that's not nice/good!' But then that is soon forgotten. Presumably because it would've been too hard to track multiple plot lines with 8 stories.

I didn't know that about the companions in beta. Interesting. Shame that BW pulled that.
BioWare is good at providing the illusion of choice. They did it in KotOR, and they're doing it here. We're all playing the same narrative - it's how that narrative plays out that differs. Nothing significantly changed the game story in KotOR, either.

Petnil's Avatar


Petnil
12.16.2012 , 04:57 PM | #19
One of the nice thing in later wow (havent tried pandaria) was the phased events. Could easily have been done in swtor too. after finishing planetary questline you would phase to "planet2" where bonus quests would be. It helped moving the story forward in the areas.

And yes. SWTOR miss some mmo features.. it´s small things that you might not notice at first, but when you log into GW2 ex. the world feels more alive. It´s the tiny things like when you walk onto a farmground and the chickens go cluck cluck. It´s too bad i like swtor better. Much of the fluff things is just done better in other mmo´s. And lets face it. mmo´s needs loads of fluff. It´s not like a singleplayer game you play once, if it´s good you might replay a few times. People spend so much more time in a mmo that more fluff just pays off.

FeelFlow's Avatar


FeelFlow
12.16.2012 , 04:59 PM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by CelCawdro View Post
BioWare is good at providing the illusion of choice. They did it in KotOR, and they're doing it here. We're all playing the same narrative - it's how that narrative plays out that differs. Nothing significantly changed the game story in KotOR, either.
OK fair point. Obviously BW couldn't produce a game where throughout you could completely change the direction that it went in i.e. all roads lead to a certain encounter 2/3 of the way through KOTOR.

EDIT: As it would be too expensive to provide multiple storylines making different events spin off in different directions. END EDIT.

I seem to remember that you could change the game significantly at the end if you went dark-side. I mean things like that.