Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

The Death of the Class Story - Chapter 4: Rise of the Hutt Cartel

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > General Discussion
The Death of the Class Story - Chapter 4: Rise of the Hutt Cartel

johnxtreeme
12.18.2012 , 07:50 AM | #191
Quote: Originally Posted by Grammarye View Post
That wasn't really my point - I'm sure some voice acting will be in this content update, since they've advertised it as such. My point is that if you take all that away, there's not much left, and it's therefore what makes TOR special & worthwhile. EA's trend appears to be taking that away & watering it down wherever possible, because it's expensive, and that worries me. Back at launch, the argument went 'so why aren't you launching F2P - because we want to put out high quality content and maintain the same level of quality as the voiced story we're putting out at launch'. That compact, for whatever it was worth, appears to have been bent if not broken. It's disappointing.
I'd imagine there'll be a significant beta period on the PTS where you can play all the content and see if it's worth it.

CelCawdro
12.18.2012 , 07:54 AM | #192
Quote: Originally Posted by johnxtreeme View Post
I'd imagine there'll be a significant beta period on the PTS where you can play all the content and see if it's worth it.
I'm willing to bet that the presence of Makeb on the PTS will be invite only, if it even becomes available. At least, I would hope so.

Goretzu
12.18.2012 , 07:57 AM | #193
Quote: Originally Posted by CelCawdro View Post
I'm willing to bet that the presence of Makeb on the PTS will be invite only, if it even becomes available. At least, I would hope so.
Given what is seems to be, I cannot believe they'd be daft enough to publicly beta test it.
Real Star Wars space combat please, not Star Wars Fox! Maybe some PvP and flight too?
Goretzu's Law: As an online discussion grows longer, the probability of a comparison involving "Entitled" approaches 1

Grammarye
12.18.2012 , 08:06 AM | #194
Quote: Originally Posted by johnxtreeme View Post
I'm not sure what your point is. My individual ability to judge whether I want to spend money doesn't begin to compare to the precedent & direction chosen by a company running an MMO (by definition a long term investment on both sides).

It's not so much about 'OMG Makeb costs money, has no class story' as 'hmm, is TOR going in a direction that I really want to still be a part of?'. Most complaints I've observed have underlying reasoning along some sort of principle or precedent line.

I will still be able, even for free if I so choose, to play 1-50 and level a bunch of alts, Makeb or no Makeb. Does EA want me as a disillusioned freeloader, or a passionate MMO player who really supports TOR and is in it for the long run? That is the question, and it's not about me particularly, but rather some major chosen segment of their market (which may or may not include me). At some point, companies running MMOs have to recognise the difference between milking passing cows & having active long-term supporters, or they eventually run out of new blood to gouge.

Hmm, too many mixed metaphors there... Do they want committed fans or just people who turn up, play & pay a bit, and move on. Large U-turns in their core principles since launch does not a committed fanbase make as it suggests one cannot trust a word they say about the long-term future of the game.
For 2000 Cartel Coins, a year-old game breaking bug may get fixed.
For $20, an epic death scene for your character is unlocked to end your overly expensive class story. Subscribers pay $10.

Fardarter
12.18.2012 , 08:19 AM | #195
This is an economic issue. The cost to create the story content is just too high with the amount of money this game generates. The time needed to create that content is also a factor. I agree that the story is the only thing that sets swtor apart, perhaps those resources can be put towards other game systems that make swtor more appealing. It also seems kinda expensive to me, one planet 5 levels 20 bucks, 10 is you are a subscriber. What happens if you are a subscriber and preorder. Then drop your sub until the new content is released?

I will not pre-order unless I am given a lot more information first. The whole you have to order now or you don't get 5 days access is a money grab and insulting to players. This game does not have the track record to be pulling stunts like that.

Stryklone
12.18.2012 , 09:01 AM | #196
Oh well. Only 2 things I'm looking for in an expansion: continuation of individual class story or free-flight space.

Seems that this is a "pass" for my family. Happy gaming to those who try it.
CzErkA Corporation

Coincidence?

Garrinski
12.18.2012 , 01:44 PM | #198
I recall them saying around launch that they already had somewhere along the lines of a year's content ready in several phases(complete/worked on/planned out).

Now that the year of original plans has come and gone, I'm curious to see how they plan on generating fresh content. I just get a very bad feeling that some stagnant months lie ahead of this game.

My hope is that with the price gouging they have implemented that they generate the revenue to feed back into dynamic game content, but it seems EVERY hope I have had for this game has gone unfulfilled.

AiienTeer
12.18.2012 , 03:07 PM | #199
Gameplay is not that much different then what you can find in other MMOs.

For me it's the story that makes the game fun, and I do all the "click, kill, gather, deliver" thingies for class story. Not for lightsabers or lightnings, not for Star Wars (I'm like ST more then SW ). For story. I like it, although it's kinda childish from time to time, but still - story has drawn me to this game and is keeping my wallet open each month.

No story = no game = no money for EAWare. Not from me at least. I could pay another 30-40$ for full expansion, with some great chapter full of class stories, planets and side quests/stories. For side quests only... I do not know about the others, but for me it is not worth to pay sub (and showe those 10$ for update) only to get some side story.

Meh, still got to end SI story and do some story quest for Republic. So EAWare will be getting my money till spring or so.

CelCawdro
12.20.2012 , 09:25 AM | #200
I've been seeing a few threads pop up requesting elaboration on this subject - will unique, class storylines ever be reintroduced? Hopefully that trend continues, and hopefully we get an answer on the subject. I've seen an encouraging amount of BioWare posts lately, but I fear that they were all simple pre-written PR posts that the community team merely sought to find a place for in existing threads rather than creating their own.