Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Idea for scrapper changes

Carter_Mathis
12.11.2012 , 01:03 PM | #1
I'm posting this because I know that there is at least one other skilled scrapper that frequents these forums, and I'd like some additional opinions on what I believe would be a pretty simple, but effective buff to scrapper.
The buff: Make Back Blast rather than Shoot First grant a stack of upper hand.
- This change would in now way buff the initial burst of a scrapper, since it would not increase the number of upper hands available to a scrapper during the burst phase. This would solely be a sustained damage increase, as well as alleviate energy management issues, since it would reduce the numbers of "holes" in our rotation. Additionally, this change would make scoundrels a little bit more like every other class in the game, not entirely tied to stealth. While we would still lack our hardest hitting move, this will make scrapper seem a little less "dead in the water" after their burst has run out.
That's really it.
Another change that would be really nice, but is in no way necessary or likely to come soon:
- some form of shadow step, allowing a stealthed scoundrel to teleport behind their target.

Mithrail
12.11.2012 , 01:13 PM | #2
You may want to suggest this in the Class forums as well. I don't play a scrapper scoundrel, but I have a 39 op, so it seems like interesting changes.

Carter_Mathis
12.11.2012 , 01:25 PM | #3
Quote: Originally Posted by Mithrail View Post
You may want to suggest this in the Class forums as well. I don't play a scrapper scoundrel, but I have a 39 op, so it seems like interesting changes.
I may, I was just attempting to avoid having the majority of people who play tor comment, cause I've read the pvp forums and some of those guys are crazy...

pqgarvis
12.11.2012 , 01:45 PM | #4
While 100% agree energy management needs to be addressed, my one sore thought on Back Blast generating the upper hand vs shoot first is that would more heavily shape our opening combination. Okay maybe keeping shootfirst generating upperhand along with backblast makes sense (we can't stack more than 2 anyways unless we decide to go up the sawbones tree)

I have always thought that scoundrel energy management should be more linear since all our attacks are cooldown based or require upper hand and I think quickshot is gay.

Krayshawn
12.11.2012 , 02:14 PM | #5
Would this be some kind of scrapper only buff? I say this because then Dirty Fighting would have overall more culls, or a faster burst rotation.
The Krayshawn Legacy:
Krayshawn - Vanguard El'Diablo - 29/12/0 Jug
Mufasa, GM : <Hakuna Matata> - Jedi Covenant

Carter_Mathis
12.11.2012 , 02:23 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Krayshawn View Post
Would this be some kind of scrapper only buff? I say this because then Dirty Fighting would have overall more culls, or a faster burst rotation.
Nah, just a general change for all scoundrels, probably just an adjustment in their passive abilities tab

TalonKorr
12.11.2012 , 03:10 PM | #7
I've played this archetype ad nauseum, first to valor 95, then rerolled and to valor 91, and recently I just gave up. Anything a Scrapper can do, a Shadow can do better. Backblast granting a stack of upper hand? Meh. The honest truth of the matter is the whole tree needs to be taken back and redesigned. No tree has had the consistent amount of nerfs that Scrapper/Concealment had. My honest answer to this whole thing is to roll Scrappers back to 1.0.

Here's why.

Scrappers were nerfed to hell repeatedly because of their sheer overpowering nature at the start of the game. There are still videos up on youtube of scrappers dropping an 8k opener, 7k backblast, vanishing and doing another 8k opener. The trick of it all is this. The game mechanics have changed to the point that those numbers aren't possible. At the time scrappers were three shotting people you could stack: PvE Power Adrenal, PvP On Use Power Relic, PvP Adrenal (%15 damage at that time), and PvP Warzone pickup. All at once. That kind of stacking is no longer possible, but, scrappers are still punished for it.

In addition, the nerfs to scrapper have been sloppy. "Shoot First" is a 1.5 second (1 GCD) Knockdown, that used to be four seconds. Currently, Shoot First fills up about 75% of the resolve bar. The Shadow ability Spinning Kick knocks down for a full 2 seconds, and fills a quarter of the resolve bar.

That's my short version of my view on Scrappers. I've retired Flak for the moment and Cates has become my main anyway. To scratch the DPS itch I've got a sentinel I'm leveling since I refuse to play Smash spec. Good luck with this post, but until BW really takes a long hard look at this class, don't expect too much from it.
Flak / <Lethal Dose Fifty> / <LD-Fifty> - Jedi Covenant - Juggernaut
Retired: Adrams/Feesh/Cates/Grisha/Scuf/Michaleen

Carter_Mathis
12.11.2012 , 04:51 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by TalonKorr View Post
To scratch the DPS itch I've got a sentinel I'm leveling since I refuse to play Smash spec. Good luck with this post, but until BW really takes a long hard look at this class, don't expect too much from it.
Just for this, i thank you :P Yeah, nothing a scrapper does hits as hard as id did at launch I still like it for it's 1v1 potential, but I have no preconceptions about bringing him into rateds as a full time dps. A slightly different, interesting change would be to give a temporary buff after striking a killing blow, allowing a player to reenter stealth (kinda helpful, but probably would never be implemented) or maybe just give scoundrels 1 offensive cooldown... seriously... we're the only AC without one...

Draank
12.12.2012 , 03:11 AM | #9
Scroundrels are OP, buff smash.

Krayshawn
12.12.2012 , 08:03 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by Draank View Post
Scroundrels are OP, buff smash.
I concur, smash has way to many wholes in its rotation...
The Krayshawn Legacy:
Krayshawn - Vanguard El'Diablo - 29/12/0 Jug
Mufasa, GM : <Hakuna Matata> - Jedi Covenant