Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Best Approach to Completing Heroic Quests and Social Points

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > New Player Help
Best Approach to Completing Heroic Quests and Social Points

Nythain
12.11.2012 , 09:44 AM | #11
Quote: Originally Posted by dubiousdude View Post
At this point in the game I am at level 39 and having no trouble at all staying level just by completing the main mission quests. Being new to the game, just didn't know if missing some of the quests was something I will regret later on as a level 50 player. I read somewhere that social points play a big role later as level 50. Is that true?
Maybe I'll start another character from scratch as part of the legacy deal. This way I can take advantage of what I've learned the first time around.
Thanks for everyone's input and advice.
You won't miss much not doing the heroics. Just side story most people skip through, and quest rewards that aren't usually anything awesome. End game this is a different story, and Daily Comms are an integral part of early end game gearing. So you'll want to do the daily heroics at level 50 for the comms.
I don't know who said social points play a big role end game. They play no role except a few social unlocks, emotes and whatnot, and the ability to equip the various social gear from the social vendors on each planet. This gear is all themed, and each set/planet will require different social levels to equip. It's all basically just empty shell, no set bonus, orange container gear... if you find a set you really like, work towards that social level, and make sure to keep up with all the mods for it.

TheIronMonkey
12.11.2012 , 01:49 PM | #12
I have a different take on some of the issues.

Heroics : It might be an OC issue with me, but I like to do every quest on every planet. So one reason is because I want to do them all. Next : the drops might not be insignificant. Just yesterday I found a heroic in Tatooine that gives me purple armoring of a better level than mine. So why not repeat it a few times and update my armoring level on my orange gear? Plus the commendations can be used for mods or equipment, and most heroics give you 3 comms. The rewards can be of value. Even if they turn grey, I send some of the items that drop (not bound) to my other toons at the right level, or sell them at vendors for credits. Do you HAVE to do them? No. Can they be useful, yes!

Social points : after 7 toon, 4 of them L50, the only reason to level social points I have found was to purchase the sexy outfit for vette. Other than that... blah. You don't get many on quests because they are based on the conversation choices. The FPs have more conversation, thus produce more soc points. But besides that beginner quest for a social token or buying the social armor at cantina vendors, they have little use.

Lately I got into raising affection on my comps to 10K. You can get 450 affection points for some comps from Black Talon/Essless runs. Note that if you go with somebody else you only get affection on the conversations where you win the roll (??) . But it is another reason to rerun FPs or even solo them.

AND, I also don't like to rush through FPs. So if you want to do a paced walk through one, let me know. I have Rep and Imp toons and I am always glad to help.
I don't know if this is a Sith thing, but at the beginning of every game conversation my first thought is "You are so dead"...

ProtocolX
12.12.2012 , 03:59 AM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by dubiousdude View Post
I'm trying to be patient with learning this game as the flash points with a group tend to be so fast and chaotic, I don't hardly know what's going on. In spite of that, will take your advice and grind out the flash points in a waiting que. That's the only way I can group as being a rather older gentleman, people in my age group don't normally play games like these, so I have no friends that play. They're all doing shuffle board, dominos, canasta, sorting their socks or something like that
I'm in the same boat. I'm not sure if this is your in-game name or what server you're on but if you or someone else reading this is in the same position wants to hook up, I'm on Harbinger Name: Amarrax. I never liked dominoes either.

pan_sObak
12.12.2012 , 04:46 AM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by parmie View Post
Social points are just cosmetic
the only reason i run for social points is that i like very much how my alts are looking in Dancer outfit from Nar Shadaa :-)
otherwise they are useless

at old times social armor was almost the only way to get a full orange modable set just at the very beginning
now it changes...
Tomb of Freedon Nadd, Pansobak Legacy
Merc 55, Jugg 55, Seer 55, Guns 55, Vang 55, Commando 55

Craft: Bio 450, Cyber 450, Arm 450, Armor 450, Art 450, Syth 450- no use of them!

DawnAskham
12.12.2012 , 06:55 AM | #15
A couple of points from my perspective....

Heroic 4s are hit and miss. Some are fast and easy and return good XP and rewards while others can be slogs that reward nothing of any significance without contributing anything to the story.

My advice would be that unless you have a really solid group or know the Heroic, just skip any Heroic 4s (or tab out and look them up first). They really need to add more details to the mission itself such as listing all the objectives, the XP awarded for each objective, and the overall rewards.

Social points sounded good on paper but were poorly executed. Unless you constantly group up to do all your quests, you will end up having to grind social points by running something like BT over and over.

Even doing all the group content such as planet Heroics and Flashpoints while leveling will leave you far behind the Social level required to buy things from the various planets.

The only good thing is that all of this is superfluous, however, it really seems short sighted that only one Flashpoint provides any meaningful Social XP with many Flashpoints and Heroics (true group content) returning less Social XP than a basic solo quest done while grouped.

Morolac
12.12.2012 , 09:39 AM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by ProtocolX View Post
I'm in the same boat. I'm not sure if this is your in-game name or what server you're on but if you or someone else reading this is in the same position wants to hook up, I'm on Harbinger Name: Amarrax. I never liked dominoes either.
Plenty of "old" (I don't feel old as a 42 year old, but I keep being told I am...) players around and I've managed to find a couple of PUGs stating I want to go slow to enjoy the view. Kinda makes me think all those people that want to take their time don't bother with FPs because they think they are the only ones.

Just ask nicely in general, honesty works pretty well. I find myself much more inclined to help someone out if they are asking for a "scenic" FP group instead of a Speed Run.
Keep your feet on the ground and keep reaching for the stars.
Casey Kasem

happysister
12.12.2012 , 07:19 PM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by pan_sObak View Post
the only reason i run for social points is that i like very much how my alts are looking in Dancer outfit from Nar Shadaa :-)
otherwise they are useless.
the party wall and disco ball are pretty awesome though.
The Kipplar Legacy ~ Proud Founder of The Old Republic
The Heroes of The Republic

Sinapus
12.12.2012 , 11:53 PM | #18
If you're just looking for social points, will joining a mission that is grey for you, but not for others affect those other players? I'd like to get social xp, but not if it's going to hurt other players trying to level...
"You have no right to pass judgement on me!" "By your own actions, you appear to believe that might makes right." "I don't like where this is going." "Oh, good. I was hoping you wouldn't."
-Schlock Mercenary

ProtocolX
12.13.2012 , 12:20 AM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by Morolac View Post
Plenty of "old" (I don't feel old as a 42 year old, but I keep being told I am...) players around and I've managed to find a couple of PUGs stating I want to go slow to enjoy the view. Kinda makes me think all those people that want to take their time don't bother with FPs because they think they are the only ones.

Just ask nicely in general, honesty works pretty well. I find myself much more inclined to help someone out if they are asking for a "scenic" FP group instead of a Speed Run.
Sounds good. I actually met a decent fella yesterday and he helped me out, adding much fun to the already great game. It was nice to find someone older than me -- ha ha -- though really I'm not hung up on age. Stupidity doesn't have an age barrier, neither does civility. Overall, I'm rather impressed with the community compared to the nastiness spewed daily in my last MMO, one that has a large "adult" population.

Sinapus
12.13.2012 , 12:37 AM | #20
Quote: Originally Posted by ProtocolX View Post
Sounds good. I actually met a decent fella yesterday and he helped me out, adding much fun to the already great game. It was nice to find someone older than me -- ha ha -- though really I'm not hung up on age. Stupidity doesn't have an age barrier, neither does civility. Overall, I'm rather impressed with the community compared to the nastiness spewed daily in my last MMO, one that has a large "adult" population.
The various heroic missions I have played so far have gone well. About the only annoyance I've run into is people who run off before checking to see if everyone else is ready via the group chat. Though it did help me learn healing with my scoundrel a bit better.

"You have no right to pass judgement on me!" "By your own actions, you appear to believe that might makes right." "I don't like where this is going." "Oh, good. I was hoping you wouldn't."
-Schlock Mercenary