Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

fps keeps getting worse

First BioWare Post First BioWare Post

mtanios
12.10.2012 , 05:19 AM | #1
Hi,

I have been playing this game from day one. I have been playing this game on the following system:

Asus Notebook
Intel core i5-2410M 2,3 ghz
4 gb
Nvidia Geforce GT 520MX 1 gb

up to patch 1.3 i was playing with all the graphic's on high with shadows on and everything. After patch 1.3 i started to get "lag" (probebly low fps) or whatever. I had to turn all my stats down to low with shadows etc off to be able to play smooth. after patch 1.4 even with every stat on low Warzones were not playable for me anymore, so i quit pvp and i started doing PvE. Doing FP's and some Operations were fine. But now after patch 1.5 i even do quests at 15 fps, Operations i play at 5 fps....

My question is, is this game getting heavier with every patch or what? i have read the forums and tried a few things like install new Nividia drivers etc. Nothing seems to work.. Am i forced to buy a new 1000 euro laptop just to be able to play this game now?

Cerimon
12.10.2012 , 05:56 AM | #2 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
Greetings mtanios,

Please go through the following items, testing the game performance after each:
  • Set shadows to off.
  • Turn nameplate scaling off.
  • Turn off Ambient Occlusion in your video card control panel if you are an nvidia user.
  • Delete DiskCacheArena which is by default found at C:\Program Files (x86)\Electronic Arts\Bioware\Star Wars - The Old Republic\swtor
  • Delete client_settings which is by default found in the settings folder at C:\users\%USERNAME%\appdata\local\SWTOR\swtor\
    When you get in-game, set your graphics options to your preferences.
  • Ensure your power plan is set to high performance in control panel, power options. This is especially important for laptop users.
  • Perform a Clean boot of Windows 7/Vista. or Windows XP.
  • Perform a clean install of latest non-beta video driver.

Thank you for your continuing patience regarding this issue.

Cerimon | BioWare Customer Service - Forum Support

mtanios
12.10.2012 , 12:24 PM | #3
Although i have done all of the above before as i stated in my post, i still went to all the steps again. Regardless of my effort it still did not have any positive effects on my fps.

Here is the info you will probably ask me next, so let me be a step ahead of you :-)

Spoiler

MikeTheDuke
12.10.2012 , 03:46 PM | #4
Just looking at the DirectX log, it shows that your active display is the Intel(R) HD Graphics Family. Your Nvidia card is installed as it appears in the system devices, but it isn't the active one.

I know with my laptop I force it to use the dedicated graphics card, but mine is an AMD I have heard the nVidia ones are better on laptops.

The other thing I can suggest is to perform a complete installation of DX9, from here. Why, this has been suggested previously and I have found it provides improvements, certainly in my case, and I have read others have had success with it. Web installer doesn't provide everything, the full package which this links to is everything for DirectX 9c. Try that, but also enable the nVidia card.

mtanios
12.11.2012 , 03:37 AM | #5
Quote: Originally Posted by MikeTheDuke View Post
Just looking at the DirectX log, it shows that your active display is the Intel(R) HD Graphics Family. Your Nvidia card is installed as it appears in the system devices, but it isn't the active one.

I know with my laptop I force it to use the dedicated graphics card, but mine is an AMD I have heard the nVidia ones are better on laptops.

The other thing I can suggest is to perform a complete installation of DX9, from here. Why, this has been suggested previously and I have found it provides improvements, certainly in my case, and I have read others have had success with it. Web installer doesn't provide everything, the full package which this links to is everything for DirectX 9c. Try that, but also enable the nVidia card.
I set my Nvidia settings as you sayed and i also downloaded and installed DX9 from your link. The first 2 hours i could play the game smooth with every stat on low and 800x600. But after a few hours and logging from 1 char to another the fps started to drop again. So the first hour i played a few warzones without any lagg, i also did Lost Island with almost zero fps problems. But i ended up having lag again while questing on Belsaves.

But thanks for trying to help m8, i appreciate it.

OwenBrooks
12.11.2012 , 03:53 AM | #6
So if you exit the game and close swtor when you experience slow down and log back in do you play fine again for a while ?

have you tried the suggestions in this thread with changing the control panel settings ?

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=568911

mtanios
12.11.2012 , 04:23 AM | #7
Quote: Originally Posted by OwenBrooks View Post
So if you exit the game and close swtor when you experience slow down and log back in do you play fine again for a while ?

have you tried the suggestions in this thread with changing the control panel settings ?

http://www.swtor.com/community/showthread.php?t=568911
If i close the game and restart my laptop i can play for a bit without fps problems. I am thinking it may be because of overheating? but its strange that a restart that takes 30 seconds can fix this or 2 hours..

i think my memory is getting full or something, eater way i tried the link and set my nvidia to the suggested settings. now i have to wait until the servers are up so i can test it.

P.S. the post had a suggestion of putting the priority of swtor on high in the task manager, but i seem to get a "access denied". This option works on every other program i am running tho.

Cerimon
12.11.2012 , 04:37 AM | #8 Click here to go to the next staff post in this thread. Next  
mtanios,

Will be interested to see your results from your most recent configuration settings.

Do let us know of any improvement.

Cerimon | BioWare Customer Service - Forum Support

OwenBrooks
12.11.2012 , 04:42 AM | #9
Wait until the servers are up and you login before setting the process change.

Launcher is a different exe to the game itself.

mtanios
12.11.2012 , 06:44 AM | #10
Quote: Originally Posted by OwenBrooks View Post
Wait until the servers are up and you login before setting the process change.

Launcher is a different exe to the game itself.
I get the same error "access denied". With eater launcher or game it self...