Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer
×

Is anyone else disappointed with the Exile's and Revan's Legacy in SWTOR

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Is anyone else disappointed with the Exile's and Revan's Legacy in SWTOR

Korton's Avatar


Korton
12.09.2012 , 07:14 PM | #21
Quote: Originally Posted by Beniboybling View Post
I gave this a little thought, and actually realised I don't. Sure they didn't represent the Exile too well, but I thought Revan was very well done. And maybe he's robes did look a bit rubbish. But hey, the story was good. I like how Scourge helped Revan and Meetra face the Emperor and then helped the JK do the same in a nostalgic scenario. I thought that was really well done. And I like how the whole Treaty of Coruscant was orchestrated by Revan - wasn't that cool? And I think it was a great idea to have the Republic heroes rescue him. And then the Imperial heroes 'defeat' him. You don't give the flashpoint enough credit, its got the whole Rakata theme going on, you get to meet HK-47 and fight him, and the confrontation with Revan is suitably epic and nostalgic.

I think its important that Revan didn't play too big a role in SWTOR - after all its not his story anymore, its about the heroes of the Republic and the Empire. Revan's and the Exile's story ended in the Revan novel.

And I really can't see the grounds for peoples argument against the presentation of Meetra. You can't ruin a character that technically never existed. Meetra never spoke aloud in KOTOR 2, you just selected words from a menu, Meetra was you and obviosuly people aren't going to like how Meetra turns out, because that isn't them.

OldVengeance makes a good point here though, perhaps it would have been better if they have remained legends who dissapeared into the Unknown Regions to fight the Sith Empire. And SWTOR could have left clues as to what there fate was, but still left it vague. Unfortunately OldVengeance, while this is a good idea, those in favour are severely outweighed by those who wanted to see Revan, HK and the Exile return in SWTOR. Well, be careful what you wish for...
Thanks for the spoiler bro

Roxxorman's Avatar


Roxxorman
12.08.2014 , 05:31 PM | #22
This entire expansion was a HUGE disappointment. I mean i beat the thing in 1 day. ONE DAY. And the fact that it was so buggy; the lag was so horrendous, it kind of sickens me that i spent money on this. I honestly feel that they somehow fraudulently took my money. there was so much hype i honestly thought i would get at least a month or so of play before the ending. nope. ONE DAY.

Then, to screw revan's legacy? I think they've been talking to Lucas and getting lessons from him on how to seriously anger their customers.

I think the ONLY thing that was good about this was the 12x experience and leveling all my characters up and 0 cost on abilities as i leveled.

And don't get me started on this new talent system because it is HOR A BL.

they give the excuse that they don't want to see cookie cutter players, yet the whole game IS cookie cutter and so linear. and buggy. No pride in their work just take my money and say thanks for making our payroll. Nice, just nice.

mefit's Avatar


mefit
12.08.2014 , 08:11 PM | #23
Quote: Originally Posted by Ellyria View Post
It's not so much that she died (before the novel I expected one if not both of them to die), it's HOW she died. After all the horrible characterizations of her in the novel and relegating her to Revan's sidekick, her death apparently didn't warrant more than a four line paragraph and was completely unnecessary. She didn't die like a hero, she died like a ***** from
Spoiler
I disagree .
Meetra was a General in Revan's Fleet . So if you guys want to keep on feeling like she was his side kick ,that was kinda established in KotoR II .
She did not die like a ***** , she saved Revan (or tried to) and put herself at risk in doing so and died for it .
Neither Characters had a awesome ending in that book and nothing glorious about being a Drink box for the emperor for 300 years . By the way Meetra is credited for keeping him alive for that long . Nothing weak about that .

I look at it like Revan was alike a older sibling that you love and risk going into debt trying to save .
Revan caused a lot of issues in Meetra's life and she stuck by him out of some kinda love . I always got the feeling like their was a secret romance there .

I think no one is ever happy with a character they like to die in any way .

I was and probably am a Revan fan , I like Meetra as well . Revan;'s story has been kinda on the level of disownership for me but I keep on liking him like Meetra .
I was not happy with the way Revan died in 3.0 .
Spoiler

But we never get what we pictured for the characters we like in how they die .

Heck outside of StarWars , I am not happy with accouple endings happening
Spoiler

But I have no control over that and I cannot sit here hating on everything because when I feel should trump what the writer came up with .

Anyways , I am a fan of Satele Shan and hopefully we can get some more focus on her from Bioware
Give a Man a Mask and he'll become his true self

Alexeikruchev's Avatar


Alexeikruchev
04.01.2015 , 11:48 AM | #24
Quote: Originally Posted by Slowpokeking View Post
She was mostly ruined in the novel, not much in the actual game.

I do like the idea that Revan got defeated, sure he's good but new generation could have stronger Sith Lords.
I don't mind Revan getting defeated, given he couldn't solo Malak without spamming medpacks.

And adrenals. Or did anyone else have a different experience?

/joke.

More importantly, the Sith tend to be stronger when there are fewer of them to stab them in the back before they hit their prime, out of ambition. And more kind of has a cheapness to it. Hence the Rule of Two was so successful. The best selected and trained and conditioned the best, to be the best. Instead of this stupid TOR policy of
Spoiler

Just check out your stereotypical Sith who leaves Korriban. Arrogant, clumsy, bloodthirsty, and fairly unsophisticated. Just comparing my character as a Sith Inquisitor and Warrior to my Knight and my Sage, and I felt like my Jedi were far more mature, developed force sensitives at the end of their training-wheels day. Just never really -felt- like anything other than a sniveling, arrogant apprentice during the Sith story until the end game story... and then, in a sudden rush, I'm a Darth! Whoo! Go me! So I went from Apprentice to Dark Lady/Lord of the Sith in like, a year or two of events? Where's the progression? Where's the countless hours training and studying and -earning it-. Unless Zash and Darth Fatty (Sorry, genuinely forget his name because he's so forgettable), are supremely bad examples of Sith standards... they're both getting spanked by some wet behind the ears apprentice plus two years of combat experience. It's embarrassing.

And when my Consular was given the title of Master at level 30, I... was... Pissed! I was like "Really, that's all I gotta do? Save a few Masters with a technique I picked up from a holocron? One holocron? Am I really ready to be a Master? What do I know how to do, really? Throw rocks? One cool technique? How about diplomacy- and by the way- during my -entire period as a full Jedi-, my Master was in a coma slash trying to kill people? A Jedi doesn't ascend to Mastery on their own! And the Guardian side of things is barely better- There's no sense of progression!

Finally, how does this relate to TOR and Revan/Exiles legacy?

Revan learned under Masters, and in a cinematic spent months at the Jedi Academy, nevermind training under Bastila Shan, and had the benefits of already having learned that in his previous incarnation.

The Exile genuinely felt like she was being trained by Kreia, who did more than show her how to hold a lightsaber or throw rocks at bad guys. She taught her philosophy (or tried) and taught her about the mysteries of the Force. She -felt like a Master-. She had a real connection with her apprentice, and, in spite of her ahem, rather un-Jedi philosophies... she still taught enough that I felt like my Exile was growing- so that when I finally did have the power to be the ****** Jedi Master class I was, I really felt like the Exile had earned it, grown, and had a past as a Jedi in training.

None of that is present in TOR. My first diplomacy as a Jedi Consular should not start at level 30, as a Master. If I'm a master and I've never done that- i'm missing a huge part of my training. And Shame on you, Satele Shan, for handing out the title of Master so carelessly! That kind of nonsense can doom an Order, I tell you!
There is no passion, solely Obsession.
There is no knowledge, solely Conviction.
There is no purpose, only Will. There is nothing... Only Me.

Fyurii's Avatar


Fyurii
04.01.2015 , 05:25 PM | #25
Quote: Originally Posted by Alexeikruchev View Post
Finally, how does this relate to TOR and Revan/Exiles legacy?

Revan learned under Masters, and in a cinematic spent months at the Jedi Academy, nevermind training under Bastila Shan, and had the benefits of already having learned that in his previous incarnation.

The Exile genuinely felt like she was being trained by Kreia, who did more than show her how to hold a lightsaber or throw rocks at bad guys. She taught her philosophy (or tried) and taught her about the mysteries of the Force. She -felt like a Master-. She had a real connection with her apprentice, and, in spite of her ahem, rather un-Jedi philosophies... she still taught enough that I felt like my Exile was growing- so that when I finally did have the power to be the ****** Jedi Master class I was, I really felt like the Exile had earned it, grown, and had a past as a Jedi in training.

None of that is present in TOR. My first diplomacy as a Jedi Consular should not start at level 30, as a Master. If I'm a master and I've never done that- i'm missing a huge part of my training. And Shame on you, Satele Shan, for handing out the title of Master so carelessly! That kind of nonsense can doom an Order, I tell you!
Nothing you wrote actually has anything to do with The Exile's or Revan's legacy.
You're focusing entirely on your own inability to separate story and game mechanics in this game.
For both the Sith and Jedi classes, you're a special little snowflake that's better than all your peers and triumphs against all adversity.
You're so good, that you earn your ranks/titles faster than others. You are the "brain damaged Revan"/Meetra Surik of your generation.

Revan and Surik's "Legacy" is referring to their character, skills and achievements. That's what this thread was about, not the disparity between game mechanics and story.
________║≤o≥║___________
/_______TROOPER___≡≡≡≡≡≡≡╡
\_/‾‾‾‾ // ╝‾‾╚▄▄▄▄▄/‾‾‾‾‾

Ghisallo's Avatar


Ghisallo
04.01.2015 , 08:58 PM | #26
Quote: Originally Posted by Roxxorman View Post
This entire expansion was a HUGE disappointment. I mean i beat the thing in 1 day. ONE DAY. And the fact that it was so buggy; the lag was so horrendous, it kind of sickens me that i spent money on this. I honestly feel that they somehow fraudulently took my money. there was so much hype i honestly thought i would get at least a month or so of play before the ending. nope. ONE DAY.

Then, to screw revan's legacy? I think they've been talking to Lucas and getting lessons from him on how to seriously anger their customers.

I think the ONLY thing that was good about this was the 12x experience and leveling all my characters up and 0 cost on abilities as i leveled.

And don't get me started on this new talent system because it is HOR A BL.

they give the excuse that they don't want to see cookie cutter players, yet the whole game IS cookie cutter and so linear. and buggy. No pride in their work just take my money and say thanks for making our payroll. Nice, just nice.
Well the lag and stuff is not really relevant to a "legacy" of characters, though it was annoying as ALL heck. Then again some of the bugs for WoW's latest expansion launch made SWTOR look positively stable.

That aside there is a reason it was a let down, I think. If you look at the game previous to this expac, Revan was here because many fans expected him BUT they also wanted to put him FIRMLY to bed. This is not the story of Revan, it is the next generation of great protagonists. Hell the original Revanites hiding in the bushes of Dromun Kaas were pretty clearly a satirical jab at the Revan Fan Club.

However that fan club was miffed in the extreme over how Revan bought it on the Foundry. So they patch in a new scene in Maelstrom Prison and they put Revan to bed.... AGAIN. I just hope to goodness he stays there this time.
...We always arise from our own ashes. Everything returns later in its... changed form...
...To remind you that all humans make mistakes, and that all leaders are but human.
---Leto, Lion of Atreides