Your most and least favorite part of the EU

LegendaryBlade

So it's no secret that the EU is full of ups and downs, that's what happens when you let practically anybody write for your universe. For every fantastic amazing story or book there's a least a handful of terrible ones. So, I wanted a chance to see what other people think on the issue; What is your most and least favorite part of the Expanded Universe:

Most Favorite:

Mara Jade - I loved her as a character and enjoyed the romance she had with Luke. I really do hope if the new movies continue to follow Luke (although I doubt they will) that Mara Jade will be featured to some extent.

Luke's New Jedi Order / The Jedi Knight games (Especially Jedi Academy) - These games have a special place in my heart, and as writers and stories continue to go backwards all I want to see is more stuff from this era. I wish more writers would set their eyes forward instead of backwards in to the prequels and, more than anything, i'd love the see the New Republic and New Jedi order featured in films or animation.

Cad Bane - He's mother****ing Cad Bane

Least Favorite:

Bringing back the Emperor - I feel like this kind of disrespects the movies. To take a plot that has played through it's entirety and accomplished something, a film that lead up to one of the mot well known scenes in Cinema of Vader throwing the Emperor over the edge, and just make it halfway irrelevant by bringing him back with plot excuses and conveniences.

Dark Side Luke- I always felt like Luke overcoming his anger was a key part of the movie. As a portion of who he was, as a part of his character arc, he had already moved past that.

All the random resurrections period - It's like writers can't let characters go.

All the cloning - Holy crap the cloning stuff got stupid fast

Edited by LegendaryBlade

For me, the best part of the EU is the KOTOR comics and the games. Those comics are hands down some of the best material that all of Star Wars can offer, besides this game of course. The worst has to be the VERY large gap and failed attempt at uniting the mandalorians story in TCW after Karen Traviss had her Tirade. Even though she betrayed the fans the attempts to recapture the good old days has failed miserably. Edited by ZayneDraay

Favorite: The X-Wing series of novels and "I, Jedi" following up with Corran's story.

Least favorite: Probably have to be the totally-unnecessary, way-too-detailed and agonizingly-painful-to-read political machinations of Darth Caedus in the LOTF series, the only time I actually hated a Star Wars novel. I don't remember which book it was, I try not to think about those.

Favorite: The Tales of the Jedi series with Arca Jeth, Nomi Sunrider, and Ulic Qel-Droma, and then Knights of the Old Republic the video games and the comics with Zayne Carrick and his padawan killing masters. Also loved the Legacy comics with Cade Skywalker and nearly all the Jedi from that era. Love what they did with the Imperial Knights. Would love to see some armor similar to theirs make it to the game.

Least favorite: Resurrecting the Emperor for the sake of conflict and Darth Caedus. He was such a b**** I wanted to force slap him :eek: And he

killed Mara Jade Skywalker.

This earned him a top spot on my most hated Jedi/Sith list. Didn't like him as a Jedi either.

Favorite: Kotor and old republic era where there is a lot of force users.

Least favorite: How jedis and sith become all powerfull in the NJO (luke , sidious, etc) which contrast with the movies, where the most powerfull was sidious and yoda and still not all-powerfull.

Favorite: Kotor and old republic era where there is a lot of force users.

Least favorite: How jedis and sith become all powerfull in the NJO (luke , sidious, etc) which contrast with the movies, where the most powerfull was sidious and yoda and still not all-powerfull.

How does it contrast what is shown in the movies?

Favprote parts of the EU? Too many to list but here are a few...

X-Wing series.

Jaina Solo

Mara Jade

Jacen Solo

Anakin Solo

LotF Series

FotJ series

NJO series.

Least favorite...

Death Troopers and The Crystal Star novels. Absolutely horrible.

Favorite? There's alot of good books out there, but my all time favorite is the Thrawn books.

Least favorite? There's a few out there, but I would have to say the Vong. I think there could have been a better villain to test the Jedi Order. (*Hints to fan-fic) :)

Most Favorite:

TotJ, it firstly expanded the history rather than focus everything in the movie era. The Great Sith War is epic, I like Exar Kun.

Darth Plagueis' story

Duchess Satine

My favorite SW female character

Most of the stuff in TOR, especially the IA character and his/her story, many Sith and Satele Shan.

Least Favorite:

Palpatine's return in DE

The whole design of the Sith Emperor, he's a vague character, lack of personality, and his mind control is a BAD plot device.

Abeloth It's better to save the Ones in mystery rather than bring out a big boss and what the hell? She simply took some bath and drunk some water then became more powerful than any Jedi and Sith? It's just stupid.

And the endless conflict after RotJ.

Edited by Slowpokeking

Most Favorite

Darth Caedus being my favorite Sith, I say Jacen Solo's character arc from the book Traitor to his becoming Darth Caedus.

I, Jedi

Everything by Timothy Zahn concerning Grand Admiral Thrawn:

The Thrawn Trilogy

The Hand of Thrawn Duology

Survivor's Quest

Outbound Flight

Mist Encounter (short story printed in the paperback version of Outbound Flight)

Side Trip (novella in Tales from the Empire)

Crisis of Faith (novella included in the 20th Anniversary Edition of Heir to the Empire)

The Darth Bane Trilogy

Least Favorite

The Emperor Reborn

The Legacy comics

Edited by Asbiorn
forgot something

Favorite... hmm that's hard sooooo many good stories and characters. X-wing series is probably the best, it has a bit of everything, fills in a lot of story, creates exceptional character relationships, and just plain rocks.

Least Favorite... NJO What the h*** where they smoking when they came up with the Yuzahn Vong? Seriously? Worst bad guys ever AND

Why'd they kill Chewie? Why?.

I also blame this series for corrupting my favorite character, Jacen Solo and killed a very promising character Anakin Solo. He (Jacen) was cool until they made him into a spoiled brat who thinks he's a philosopher. (and in the middle of a galactic invasion?) Poor writing all around. And sadly the Eu beyond that suffers. Oh, they made do with what they got, but honestly Anakin, Jacen, Chewie, Gavin Darklighter ect... and a lot of other major characters's had their stories horribly altered or ended in a completely unfair way. Honestly it felt like someone said, ok we have to many heroes. How do we kill off half the galaxy? I like the way LOTF and FOTJ went, but make Jacen a darker, more manipulative rather than a fanatic and erase the Vong from existence.

Edit: I understand why certain characters had to die in order to progress the story of others, but it seems like a cop out to have some unbeatable enemy who magically appears and kills everyone they needed to get rid of.

Edit 2: I did however enjoy the portions of the NJO book "Traitor" dealing with Ganner Rhysode. His epic battle at the end of the book sent shivers down my spine. Best part of the series

Edited by StarSquirrel

I have no interest in anything post Episode VI. Probably because I can't stand Luke, and to see him leading the new Academy would make me want to bleed my eyes.

But I am told there are some good series in there, especially the X-Wing series, I think it is.

For me, my biggest Star Wars passion is the history of the Sith, up to the movie trilogies, but in particular, the period between The Great Hyperspace War and The Great Sith War.

Good question.

Favourite: The Old Republic era, from the Jedi Civil War to the Great Galactic War. Sometimes I have to stop and think that this vast period of lore was shaped from nothing. Isn't that incredible? Amazing stories such as the fall and redemption of Revan and the exile of Meetra Surik, and the return of the True Sith! Amazing characters like Revan, Malak, Meetra, Canderous, HK-47, Traya, Malgus, the Emperor... the list goes on. And amazing planets like Malachor and Lehon, Tython and Dromund Kaas. All this lore! You gotta take your hat of to BioWare and Obsidian and all those other great writers for making such an epic period in the Star Wars universe. In my opinion, its second only to the films themselves.

Least Favourite: Sorry guys, but its gotta be post-ROTJ. I must admit I have a personal disdain for this period, and I mean disdain. Everything other than Thrawn and Mara Jade could be made non-canon for all I care. The Yuuzhan Vong (who's name I have to look up every time I type it :mad:), Darth Krayyt and his One Sith, resurrection of the Sidious and his ultimate fail etc etc. Can't say I don't like Cade Skywalker - kinda like that whole 'legacy' thing, but ultimately too much of post-ROTJ is overpowered and out of tune with Star Wars. Really I think the story should have ended with ROTJ, at least for the Sith - anyone after Sidious just seems lacking. They should have left it at Thrawn and be done, or at least come up with something better than Krayt. I sincerely hope that the new films will sort this period out. Apologies for the rant. :p