Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Your most and least favorite part of the EU

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Your most and least favorite part of the EU

LegendaryBlade
12.06.2012 , 02:13 PM | #1
So it's no secret that the EU is full of ups and downs, that's what happens when you let practically anybody write for your universe. For every fantastic amazing story or book there's a least a handful of terrible ones. So, I wanted a chance to see what other people think on the issue; What is your most and least favorite part of the Expanded Universe:

Most Favorite:
Mara Jade - I loved her as a character and enjoyed the romance she had with Luke. I really do hope if the new movies continue to follow Luke (although I doubt they will) that Mara Jade will be featured to some extent.

Luke's New Jedi Order / The Jedi Knight games (Especially Jedi Academy) - These games have a special place in my heart, and as writers and stories continue to go backwards all I want to see is more stuff from this era. I wish more writers would set their eyes forward instead of backwards in to the prequels and, more than anything, i'd love the see the New Republic and New Jedi order featured in films or animation.

Cad Bane - He's mother****ing Cad Bane

Least Favorite:
Bringing back the Emperor - I feel like this kind of disrespects the movies. To take a plot that has played through it's entirety and accomplished something, a film that lead up to one of the mot well known scenes in Cinema of Vader throwing the Emperor over the edge, and just make it halfway irrelevant by bringing him back with plot excuses and conveniences.

Dark Side Luke- I always felt like Luke overcoming his anger was a key part of the movie. As a portion of who he was, as a part of his character arc, he had already moved past that.

All the random resurrections period - It's like writers can't let characters go.

All the cloning - Holy crap the cloning stuff got stupid fast
Star Trek Online Science Officer - "To boldy go where no man has gone before."
Jung Ma RP-PVP Server:
Armetage - Gunslinger

ZayneDraay
12.06.2012 , 05:29 PM | #2
For me, the best part of the EU is the KOTOR comics and the games. Those comics are hands down some of the best material that all of Star Wars can offer, besides this game of course. The worst has to be the VERY large gap and failed attempt at uniting the mandalorians story in TCW after Karen Traviss had her Tirade. Even though she betrayed the fans the attempts to recapture the good old days has failed miserably.
"Those who know me by reputation say I am a creature of the cold darkness, a monster if you will. Now you too shall fear me." - Darth Crios, lord of icy wrath

davracahan
12.06.2012 , 06:47 PM | #3
Favorite: The X-Wing series of novels and "I, Jedi" following up with Corran's story.

Least favorite: Probably have to be the totally-unnecessary, way-too-detailed and agonizingly-painful-to-read political machinations of Darth Caedus in the LOTF series, the only time I actually hated a Star Wars novel. I don't remember which book it was, I try not to think about those.
"Oh yeah? Watch this!"

VigDiath
12.06.2012 , 07:09 PM | #4
Favorite: The Tales of the Jedi series with Arca Jeth, Nomi Sunrider, and Ulic Qel-Droma, and then Knights of the Old Republic the video games and the comics with Zayne Carrick and his padawan killing masters. Also loved the Legacy comics with Cade Skywalker and nearly all the Jedi from that era. Love what they did with the Imperial Knights. Would love to see some armor similar to theirs make it to the game.

Least favorite: Resurrecting the Emperor for the sake of conflict and Darth Caedus. He was such a b**** I wanted to force slap him And he

Spoiler

This earned him a top spot on my most hated Jedi/Sith list. Didn't like him as a Jedi either.
Jedi Covenant (The Baltimore Legacy)
Laaron - 55 (Shadow Tank) Eulora - 55 (Sage Healer)
Madmartygan - 55 (Guardian DPS) Skylaadawn - 55 (Sab Smug)
Akon - 55 (Carnage Marauder) L'aron - 53 (Sorc Healer)

khayyinx
12.06.2012 , 08:58 PM | #5
Favorite: Kotor and old republic era where there is a lot of force users.

Least favorite: How jedis and sith become all powerfull in the NJO (luke , sidious, etc) which contrast with the movies, where the most powerfull was sidious and yoda and still not all-powerfull.

Wolfninjajedi
12.06.2012 , 09:00 PM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by khayyinx View Post
Favorite: Kotor and old republic era where there is a lot of force users.

Least favorite: How jedis and sith become all powerfull in the NJO (luke , sidious, etc) which contrast with the movies, where the most powerfull was sidious and yoda and still not all-powerfull.
How does it contrast what is shown in the movies?
"There is one lesson you've yet to learn. How to become one with the Force!"
―Cin Drallig to Darth Vader

Maucs the Tauntaun King, former SWG player.

Kilikaa
12.06.2012 , 09:17 PM | #7
Favprote parts of the EU? Too many to list but here are a few...
X-Wing series.
Jaina Solo
Mara Jade
Jacen Solo
Anakin Solo
LotF Series
FotJ series
NJO series.

Least favorite...
Death Troopers and The Crystal Star novels. Absolutely horrible.

YoshiRaphElan
12.06.2012 , 09:22 PM | #8
Favorite
Too many to count.

Least favorite
Crystal Star (except the Solo kids parts - loved those)
Planet of Twilight (iffy on this one, but Crystal star is FAAAR worse)

Aurbere
12.06.2012 , 09:27 PM | #9
Favorite? There's alot of good books out there, but my all time favorite is the Thrawn books.

Least favorite? There's a few out there, but I would have to say the Vong. I think there could have been a better villain to test the Jedi Order. (*Hints to fan-fic)
Added Chapter 66 to The Shadows Fall
"Your only hope to survive is to give in to the rage boiling within you, to acknowledge the Dark Side you deny, and tap into it!"--Darth Tyranus

Slowpokeking
12.06.2012 , 09:43 PM | #10
Most Favorite:
TotJ, it firstly expanded the history rather than focus everything in the movie era. The Great Sith War is epic, I like Exar Kun.

Darth Plagueis' story

Duchess Satine
My favorite SW female character

Most of the stuff in TOR, especially the IA character and his/her story, many Sith and Satele Shan.

Least Favorite:

Palpatine's return in DE

The whole design of the Sith Emperor, he's a vague character, lack of personality, and his mind control is a BAD plot device.

Abeloth It's better to save the Ones in mystery rather than bring out a big boss and what the hell? She simply took some bath and drunk some water then became more powerful than any Jedi and Sith? It's just stupid.

And the endless conflict after RotJ.