Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Just how Powerful what Nihilus?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > STAR WARS Discussion
Just how Powerful what Nihilus?

Spartanik
12.06.2012 , 01:54 AM | #11
I cant see many similarities to be honest, allthough i understand why people talk about it.
First and formost, Vitiate made that ritual to make it self imortal, he consumed a planet of all force, nathema was not only without life, but without the force as well, he made that ritual for a means of power.Not realy a necessety.
We are talking about a person that can control minds of even sith lords and powerfull force users making him to do his will, for years.
Playing the jedi Knight and one will have a better picture of the nature of Vitiate power. The whole imperial guard its dominated by him for example, he killed a darck council alone one time when revan was in dromund kass.
Only very few individuals were able to resist, his dominance, and none after they were taken before in the past. Revan also JK for instance.

Nihilius its completely diferent, as much i like him like many other Kotor II characters, i see being with all its power, completely dependent of it, to even be, the whole situation about him holding the ship, together, and him being on it traped, its the perfect analogy for what nihilius represents. A person like this, hostage of its own power it was doomed to fail from the very begining, it was just a matter of time. sufice to say the true living being nihilius died at malachor V. Not in the ravager. i cant see him even defeat the emperor, while Vitiate might be unpredictable, Nihilius is certainly not that. The clear case of power controling him instead of him controling the power. Vitiate control his power however, he controls everything, from what i can gather its his most feared ability, he controls his power also the power of others.
Peace is a lie, there is only passion.
Also
Quote:
HK47: Statement: You are like a delightful random cruelty generator, master, poisoning all you touch with your presence. You are a testament to all organic meatbags everywhere.

Mephet
12.06.2012 , 01:56 AM | #12
My personal opinion is that Nihilus, in terms of raw power, was > anything.

However, he paid a price far in excess of what he gained; he was, as far as i remember Kreia putting it, "just hunger". No desire, no passion, barely intelligence, simply all-consuming, himself included.

He was more of a force of nature than a force of being. The Dark Side taken to an extreme, aptly likened in this thread, to a black hole.

I think, that if any of the sith in the empire was confronted with the pros and cons of Nihilus... That none of them, power hungry as they are, would be willing to pay that price. They might be enticed and consider it, but confronted with the full scope of it, I sincely doubt any of them would take the deal.

How is that old highlander quote again... "Better to burn out than fade away?" I believe that applies very much in this case ^^

It does beg the question... What the H was in his Holocron? And how/when did he make it? A force of nature doesnt exactly keep a diary
"Peace is a lie"

Scathe
12.06.2012 , 01:18 PM | #13
Quote: Originally Posted by LegendaryBlade View Post
Ignoring KOTOR IIs lore was most likely intentional. Bioware didn't make KOTOR II and it seems like they go out of their way to avoid acknowledging it. Notice how much more emphasis they put on the first KOTOR which, while it was an amazing game, was not nearly as popular as KOTOR II? They didn't write KOTOR II so they want nothing to do with it. That's it in a nutshell, and it's pathetic.

It isn't just something they should of skimmed over, considering she rebuilt the jedi counsel.

I also agree that the Meetra we got in game doesn't feel like the Exile at all. I don't even remember having the option to act all psuedo mystical ******** in KOTOR II, let alone every line she said. Also they put way too much effort in to basically making her Revan's *****.
I just think it's BS that they didn't want anything to do with KotOR 2 and deliberately left it out of the lore and story telling for TOR simply because they didn't make it, but decided to keep the little bits and pieces that they liked. Examples being Nihilus and "Meetra". Honestly if they were going to ignore it ever happened to the degree that they did, they should have just left the Exile out of it. I am one of the people that believes in the "All or nothing" approach when it comes to lore. Especially since, if you never played KotOR 2 and are coming into TOR fresh after the first KotOR, Meetra just seems like a tacked on character. She even feels that way in the book.
I am at Peace; for I know Emotion. I have Power; for I also have Knowledge. I have Passion; for I am Serene. I can embrace Mortality; for I know Death, I am balanced through the Force.

Beniboybling
12.06.2012 , 03:59 PM | #14
Quote: Originally Posted by Abbyssion View Post
I was reading over the lore of the sith emperor and read how he had to do a whole ritual to absorb the strength of sith lords to make himself the all powerful sith emperor we know of in the game, But isn't this just the same thing Darth Nihilus did but without the whole ritual?

Couldn't Nihilus had just cruised around space in the ravager eating Jedi faces and become the most powerful thing to exist? making the skywalkers look like ants before him?

EDIT: omg totally derped the title...
He was very powerful and deserves to be at least in the top 5 most powerful Sith. He had mastered an ancient Sith technique which allowed the user to literally devour the Force, and by extension, Force users. So yes, he could have consuming the entire galaxy if he was not stopped - whether he would grow exponentially more powerful I can not say. He's like a black hole, he doesn't just consume the Force but destroys it, so I suspect it would only sustain him and not empower him. That I believe is the one drawback, he has become shackled by his hunger and therefore could never attain the sort of power and mastery over the dark side that Vitiate and other great Sith lords achieved. But he could destroy them.

And guess what, guess what... it just so happens I wrote a short FanFiction a while ago on an alternate ending to KOTOR II - in which Nihilus lives and discovers the Emperor in the Unknown Regions. Go on, the links in my sig, give it a read. Do it.

EnsignSorrow
12.07.2012 , 01:27 AM | #15
I think he only consumed force sensitives. It's worth noting that the Miraluka are a force sensitive species.
"To be Jedi is to face the truth, and choose. Give off light, or darkness, Padawan. Be a candle, or the night, Padawan: but choose!"

Beniboybling
12.07.2012 , 02:01 AM | #16
Quote: Originally Posted by EnsignSorrow View Post
I think he only consumed force sensitives. It's worth noting that the Miraluka are a force sensitive species.
He devoured all life on the planet too though. He is drawn to places strong in the Force however.

BradTheImpaler
12.07.2012 , 02:05 AM | #17
Quote: Originally Posted by EnsignSorrow View Post
It's not that he was only capable of consuming force sensitives. Those just fed his hunger (temporarily) much more than other beings. But all life on Katarr was fed on by Nihilus---except for Visas, the only survivor, who said "every living thing on Katarr died", which seems to imply not just force-sensitive sentients. All life is touched by the Force, after all. Jedi are just exceptionally sensitive to it.

By the time of KOTOR 2 his hunger was probably so strong that only other force sensitives could feed it noticeably, but if he'd gotten more desperate he could have fed on non-Force sensitives.
In the Imperial Army, it takes more courage to retreat than to advance.

Eillack
12.07.2012 , 09:50 AM | #18
Nihilus pretty much turned into the Ghost Rider of Star Wars, but yes, a lot of "Ummmmmm" lore aspects in Kotor II.
With unity, comes strength...with strength, comes power...with power...comes obedience.....
CE Owner '09 Account
Quote: Originally Posted by BruceMaclean View Post
..I think it's ultimately our fault for not communicating enough.

BlueArab
12.07.2012 , 10:46 AM | #19
Quote: Originally Posted by LegendaryBlade View Post
Ignoring KOTOR IIs lore was most likely intentional. Bioware didn't make KOTOR II and it seems like they go out of their way to avoid acknowledging it. Notice how much more emphasis they put on the first KOTOR which, while it was an amazing game, was not nearly as popular as KOTOR II? They didn't write KOTOR II so they want nothing to do with it. That's it in a nutshell, and it's pathetic.

It isn't just something they should of skimmed over, considering she rebuilt the jedi counsel.

I also agree that the Meetra we got in game doesn't feel like the Exile at all. I don't even remember having the option to act all psuedo mystical ******** in KOTOR II, let alone every line she said. Also they put way too much effort in to basically making her Revan's *****.
They get $200 million to make a game, and they are being sour about not making KOTOR II?

In regards to Nihilus, his weakness was his strength, in that he could consume an entire planet, but without that, he was essentially nothing. Given a perfect scenario, he could consume the galaxy to his death, or possibly even consume himself.

Big_Bopper
12.07.2012 , 02:03 PM | #20
IN KOTOR 2 Kreia says if you think these are true sith you are mistaken. Indicating the sith the exile fought were nothing compared to the true sith (The Emperor)