Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Gen Chat Needs to be Monitored 24/7

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content
Gen Chat Needs to be Monitored 24/7

Tattari
01.04.2013 , 05:22 PM | #51
Quote: Originally Posted by Druidregalia View Post
I've seen a good increase in racism( a huge peeve of mine) stupidity, trolling and more racism and stupidy in the general chat.

The only thing ill disagree with is that F2P is the prime culprit. F2P players have a limited number of general chat posts, wheras I can think of at least 10 examples where I saw the same person spamming general chat(which would indicate a subscription player)

I get disgusted with the content of a conversation but then my FP queue pops(I'm a tank so it usually pops before I get a chance to use the ignore). What boggles my mind though is that when my FP is done and I'm back on the fleet, that same troll will often STILL BE TALKING. It makes me really wonder if that person could save money on a subscription by just making a free reddit account. But then I remember, Reddit has moderators.
I'm getting tired like all hell over the blatant sexism and rape threats. Even though those threats may not ever come to pass, it makes trying to chat or stand up for yourself or someone else very tiring and just almost not worth it.

I know I know, MMOs, comes with the crowd, but with more and more women playing these games, it's getting ridiculous and very uncomfortable. And it needs to stop. But the racism is just as bad.

and the gosh darn bacon crap. I am SO SICK of that being the go to when a conversation gets too serious or too mean spirited.

fungihoujo
01.04.2013 , 09:17 PM | #52
I'm sure the best use of BW's time and money is going to be in monitoring channels you can simply just leave if you don't like them.

If they don't have time to balance the classes, kick out the hackers and fix all the bugs that are plaguing the game- they probably don't have time to cover your ears and tell you the world is a pretty, happy place where everyone's nice to each other, princess.

Athena-Nike
01.04.2013 , 09:51 PM | #53
My biggest problem are the rampant spoilers being tossed around. Now I've played all 8 classes at least once (and many of them LS and DS) so I know the stories but on Hutta/Kor and Tython/Ord spewing spoilers for all the classes over gen chat where newbies would be looking (for help or groups or w.e) is just rude

Blkmgc
01.05.2013 , 07:05 AM | #54
I leave chat off unless pug'ing for a group. Then I turn it off after I'm done. Most of my friends are on TS anyways.
Debdenboys.com Administrator

badlydrawnroy
01.05.2013 , 12:39 PM | #55
Gen chat on Balmorra on Red Eclipse this afternoon turned into a barrage of rape "jokes". Needless to say, some more sensible players tried to get this to stop but they ended up just feeding the trolls. I've also witnessed casual homophobia on there more than once, equally not okay. Part of you wants to rail against stuff like that when it happens, and another more sensible part knows that kicking up a fuss with these people just fans the flames sometimes - I for one would like some moderation on there.

Shipwright
01.06.2013 , 05:09 AM | #56
This has nothing to do with free speech as this is a company, it is not the government. And they do have a EULA, which is violated many times per hour in general chat. So much idiotic trolling, and so much left-wing and right-wing political trash.

I never turn on general chat anymore. Maybe it has gotten even worse with f2p, but I turned off general chat to avoid hearing the idiots long ago.

I doubt it will be monitored, I doubt they have the resources to do so. I just never turn on general chat. In fact all chat I don't want to see for any reason is turned off in preferences.

DarthEccen
01.07.2013 , 12:33 AM | #57
If General Chat bothers you so much that you think it needs to be monitored by hate police, then you really have spent no time on the Internet, at all. Lighten up.

DSpectre
01.07.2013 , 12:40 AM | #58
This is where player moderators come in
"Who I am is not important, my message is."
―Revan

sexililfae
01.07.2013 , 01:18 AM | #59
I personally agree with the op. Apparently manners weren't taught to several in the general chat because personal attacks run rampant then feelings get hurt and it all gets played off as a joke or whatever excuse is made. I was personally attacked just minutes ago just for posting that i wanted to see if someone was willing to sell me a crystal at or below a certain price and I get attacked and treated like I had committed a really bad crime. Beyond that I've seen it happen time and again enough that I wonder what exactly happened to this generation where its apparently acceptable to treat people like crap and say whatever you feel like.

Beslley
01.07.2013 , 01:30 AM | #60
Quote: Originally Posted by A_nonymous View Post
Chat has gone to hell since F2P. Way too many spammers. Way too much bacon talk. It's ridiculous. I will say that it seems to filter out as you get to higher level planets though. My ignore list is huge though as I've got two toons I'm trying to level.
You realize that F2Pers can only post infrequently, right? This game's community was never good. Blaming F2P is ridiculous. What, do you people think that WoW's community is somehow pristine and perfect and free of all bigots and bullies because it's sub based? Don't make me laugh.

Seriously though, the internet is a cesspool. Even with rules and regulations and an EULA for the game, people are still going to post terrible things that will rustle your jimmies. Nothing is sacred when you are anonymous.
Asking for volunteer moderators is a horrible idea. I can't wait to see volunteer mods abuse their power! Yay!

Honestly, you have the ability to not only ignore offenders, but report them, and you can even leave the chat! It's like leaving a room when people are saying offensive things, only it's for the internet! It's just like magic!

You're asking for martial law when it's really not necessary. Here is how you fix things. Don't feed the trolls, use the ignore list for what it's supposed to be used for, and move on.

Look, I get it. You want the community to get better. We already have a way (reporting and ignoring) to make it better. There are so many things that need to be fixed in this game. Please don't make BEAware waste resources on trying to police chat instead of working on actual content.

TL;DR, "Entire thread is BABIES!" - Heavy
<Death and Taxes>
Prophecy of the Five

Beslley - dps sorc | Arenatah - snoipah | Nef'arian - dps op | Alexstraza - slinger
KHEM VAL IS MY COPILOT