Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Gen Chat Needs to be Monitored 24/7

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Community Content
Gen Chat Needs to be Monitored 24/7

Jiminison
01.24.2013 , 01:11 PM | #141
A good solution may be the option to allow a one time transfer to a server which has very strict regulated rules speech and conduct and BW underline the rules you check the box viola problem is completely solved.

I had to repeat this part it will fix the problem ,sorry for the long post .Sorry about my passion this stuff really bothers me. People that spout crazy things do need to evaluate what they say have some control guys but I don't believe you should be policed unless it's criminal and so far being a jerk is not illegal.

Kabjat
01.24.2013 , 06:36 PM | #142
Quote: Originally Posted by Jiminison View Post
A good solution may be the option to allow a one time transfer to a server which has very strict regulated rules speech and conduct and BW underline the rules you check the box viola problem is completely solved.

I had to repeat this part it will fix the problem ,sorry for the long post .Sorry about my passion this stuff really bothers me. People that spout crazy things do need to evaluate what they say have some control guys but I don't believe you should be policed unless it's criminal and so far being a jerk is not illegal.
I understand where you are coming from that you don't think people's free speech should be infringed upon. If I understand your sentiment, I believe I agree with you. There's no law, IRL, against being a jerkface. But most people won't stand for anything NEAR what we see online to go on in real life. I think on the internet, there should be the same consequences. And it starts with the community.

No one is talking about suppressing free speech. This is about enforcing rules that are already in place....in place, mind you, so that EVERYONE can enjoy the environment.

And as for your suggestion that people get a one time transfer....I'm afraid that these 'strict regulated rules regarding speech and conduct ALREADY exist. Bioware will take action against offenders if 1.) they are reported, and 2.) the conduct for which they are reported goes against the very clear and easy to comprehend TOS. I always have to have a chuckle when I come across people who make a lot of noise about how they "just don't know WHAT is ok to do or say in a game that has rules like this." It's such a crock and a lie because if you don't know the basics of civilized behavior, then I am very sad for your upbringing. It was kind of the same thing when everyone was up in arms and butthurt over the way Bioware brought down the banhammer on all those players who took advantage of in-game exploits several months ago. The entitlement was RAMPANT. "Wahhh! I got perma-banned for breaking the ruuuulllleeeezzzz....I don't deseeeerrrrveeee it!" People will go to ANY length to excuse and justify their own selfishness. The same applies to disgusting behavior in public channels in an MMO.

So, not only is it not practical for Bioware to police every comment, it's not possible. So, like I said before, it's up to the community to decide if they want a better environment.
Quote: Originally Posted by Thaltom View Post
Are you playing TOR on an Atari Potato?

Hadrimdell
01.13.2014 , 06:02 PM | #143
We all agreed to these and if anyone (including myself) cant follow them then Bioware or EA should take action as said person(s) have broken the terms of service that they have agreed upon to play atteched game MMMORPG or not.

nappropriate Language and Naming

The Star Wars™: The Old Republic™ Customer Service team prides itself on maintaining a friendly game-play environment. Therefore it is required to provide guidelines for you to follow when chatting with other players in game or when naming your character, Legacy, guild, or any feature that allows a player to choose a unique name that will be visible to other players.

Violations that are inappropriate and can result in a name change and/or game suspension include:

Profanity
Sexual or obscene/vulgar references
Xenophobia or hate speech
Violence
Harassment
Impersonating EA or Bioware employees
Gibberish/unintelligible character names
References to significant religious, political, or historical figures or events
References to drugs or other illegal activity
References that violate trademarks, copyrights and other proprietary rights
Generally inappropriate

As far as the naming of characters, pets, guilds, items, etc. it is important to remember that BioWare reserves the right to change any name deemed inappropriate at any time, as well as take action on an account based upon any communication that is considered to fall into one of the categories above. Multiple violations of the Terms of Service may result in temporary or even permanent suspension. This policy applies to all languages regardless of what language server the player is playing on.

MaximusRex
01.14.2014 , 02:47 AM | #144
Quote: Originally Posted by _Darkstar View Post
They need a proper report function (IE: Right click, report for reason x) instead of just allowing the reporting of spam. I turned general chat off within an hour or re-subbing it was that bad, but mostly full of useless chat rather than anything offensive.
Very much this. And the funny thing is they have it in chat rooms made via the games matchmaking, so not sure why it hasn't been rolled out to General chat.

MaximusRex
01.14.2014 , 02:59 AM | #145
Quote: Originally Posted by Jiminison View Post
I am not going to say that the talk in chat doesn't make my eye twitch. But what I am going to say is toward my American bros and sisters we know this is a game but we also know that these small knee jerk reactions to control any speech is a slippery slope. This conditions us to be ok with the First Amendment being eroded.
This is total bunk. Free Speech protections are to prevent the Government from infringing your rights to free expression, and even that has limits, you can't liable someone for example. Not allowing private business or individuals from having and enforcing their own rules and standards of behaviour on their property is a removal of their constitutional rights to freedom of speech and freedom of association. I also would doubt it greatly if the disruptive behaviour was occurring in a Movie Theater during a screening, or a restaurant during dinner that you would be so gung ho about incorrectly applying the first amendment.

Nydus
01.14.2014 , 08:55 AM | #146
I agree but but I don't want to go back to the filter days.

Honestly, you have the tools at your disposal to censor this.

e.g. personally my default chat is "guild chat" with general disabled.

- Arcada
The Arcada Legacy (Ebon Hawk)
Ord'os (Lvl.55 Sorcerer), Naresa (Lvl.53 Operative), Jagrafess (Lvl.19 Marauder)
Nydus (Lvl.54 Shadow), Toclafane (Lvl.27 Guardian)

GrimFlamenco
01.14.2014 , 09:32 AM | #147
Pro tip: you can turn General Chat off...

Sadishist
01.14.2014 , 02:18 PM | #148
Stop being so sensitive, your reaction is how people get their jollies on the internet.
A fearful enemy is at his most dangerous.

The Fallen Lords of The Bastion
Juggernaut: Sadishist Sorcerer: Drellion

Kain_Turinbar
01.14.2014 , 02:39 PM | #149
Quote: Originally Posted by Sadishist View Post
Stop being so sensitive, your reaction is how people get their jollies on the internet.
I came in here just to say this and what the guy said above, Gen chat can be turned off.

Thin skin is all too prevalent these days. Who cares what some 12 year old in his mom's basement is typing. The trolling is so obvious (usually on fleet, don't see it on worlds) I can't believe that people feed into it and give them what they want: attention and validation.

AlrikFassbauer
01.15.2014 , 08:03 AM | #150
I'm rather worried why Trolling takes place in the first place.

It's like Schizophrenia : There are actually 2 personalities : One sitting at the computer, the other one when the person is leaving the room ... And what's even more disturbing is that Scientists get hints that this is actually true ...

So, walking out and saying "I did nothing !" might even be true for the Troll ... Sad times ...
“ Any intelligent fool can make things bigger, more complex, and more violent. It takes a touch of genius – and a lot of courage – to move in the opposite direction.“ (E.F.Schumacher, Economist, Source)