Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Social Behaviour

TheBBP
12.10.2012 , 09:52 AM | #41
Quote: Originally Posted by buttjammerrump View Post
FYI the crap that goes on in general chat goes on in guild chat to among guildlies.
Same crap that goes on in most general chat on any format of the internet. You're just going to need to learn how to not payattention to chat when you're not using it. Or just turn it off. Chat is peoples way of not taking themselves seriously. Sure alot of it can get vulgar but its up to you to choose to read it or ignore it.
Negative. As I said before, you agreed to terms when you logged in. You are not allowed to be as vulgar as you like without running the risk of being disciplined.
Crosswire - Republic Commando / Balloch - Bounty Hunter
Co-Leader of WotM/ALitD Family/Christian Guilds
Site : Recruitment Thread
The Ebon Hawk

RamathRS
12.10.2012 , 04:50 PM | #42
OP, your English is great! It was a nice breath of fresh air to read something coherent on a forum for once.

I am sad to hear that SWTOR is your first MMO. It's got so many things wrong with it on so many different levels. The community isn't helping matters, either.

I'm to the point where I don't step outside of my circle of Real-World friends. I turn off General chat, block /say, /trade, /pvp, etc.

People are rude and selfish. Unfortunately, with 29348579348572349578 alts, non-unique legacy names and Free to Play, people are free to hide behind an unknown name, and feel no reason to preserve something that they got for free.

There are better communities out there (speckled with the occasional idiot). Try the game, The Secret World. It's got one of the best communities I've seen in an MMO.

Daynna
12.11.2012 , 12:07 AM | #43
Yes, I've seen this as well. However, you also need to take into consideration that most people get tired of seeing the same questions asked repeatedly in chat. Especially questions like, "I'm a Jedi guardian, what is my primary stat?" Or "What gathering skills go with, (insert crafting skill here)? You know, questions they already have the answers to, if they took the time to look in their codex. I have no problem with helping someone, but after awhile it gets old. Yes I have on occasion fired off a smart *** answer, but I've also offered up the answer to the question asked.

TheBBP
12.11.2012 , 12:18 AM | #44
Quote: Originally Posted by Daynna View Post
Yes, I've seen this as well. However, you also need to take into consideration that most people get tired of seeing the same questions asked repeatedly in chat. Especially questions like, "I'm a Jedi guardian, what is my primary stat?" Or "What gathering skills go with, (insert crafting skill here)? You know, questions they already have the answers to, if they took the time to look in their codex. I have no problem with helping someone, but after awhile it gets old. Yes I have on occasion fired off a smart *** answer, but I've also offered up the answer to the question asked.
"Look in the Codex" is garbage too. The codex is hidden in a tab behind your quest journal and nothing in the game prompts you with the knowledge that the codex is a source of all of that info. I can totally see why folks would not think to look there. Either help them or don't. There is no need to be rude to them by any means.
The Ebon Hawk

Totaltrash
12.11.2012 , 12:32 AM | #45
Social Behavior on SWTOR - "The Tightening Grip" Imp daily on Ilum during prime time:

All mobs are dead all the time.
Half a dozen solo players are camping that small area at any given moment.
Whenever a mob spawns, everybody desperately jumps on it to steal the kill.
Nobody sends out invites, nobody accepts invites.

Yes, it is much better to be an a-hole for 15 minutes than to team for 5 mins and get the quest done.

TheBBP
12.11.2012 , 12:52 AM | #46
Quote: Originally Posted by Totaltrash View Post
Social Behavior on SWTOR - "The Tightening Grip" Imp daily on Ilum during prime time:

Yes, it is much better to be an a-hole for 15 minutes than to team for 5 mins and get the quest done.
I don't understand this either. It happens a lot on the Pub side of Black Hole. 4 people fighting for all the nearby mobs/nodes and none of them trying to get together.

Though, often if you step up and be a leader, folks will follow. It's just that not many want to make that minimal effort.
The Ebon Hawk

GalacticKegger
12.11.2012 , 01:00 AM | #47
Quote: Originally Posted by Caspian_Rho View Post
It's pretty bad, generally speaking. It's terrible and has drove alot of people away from the game... and that's based on friends of friends, threads here and others around the webs. General chat up until F2P was as I described, a 'cesspit'. People and guilds like yourselves get lost in the quagmire.

Just because you blind yourself to it, doesn't make it disappear or go away. But there is hope, the community seems a bit better from F2P. From my perspective I believe the subs solidify as a core in a proposed rejection of freebies thus creating a core hence better community (applied only to POT5). Speculation on my part, based on nothing but education in the right areas.... you can tell your friends you read that on the internet
Not at all, and the players I've added as friends - many of whom are new players - will attest. This community is excellent by comparison to games like WoW, where the pubescence in chat is almost suffocating. TOR has very little of that. People actually answer "noob" questions in genchat. And the clowns who lambaste new players for not already knowing get lambasted themselves. Nah ... this in-game community rocks, and one doesn't need to be in a guild to see it.

The forums on the other hand are quite a bit different. But then forums usually are, at least in the more visible areas where the trash and troll types typically hang out to get their epeen fixes - or quotas if they're employed in a water army capacity.
"I bled protecting The People's right to free speech; thus I reserve the right to make them bleed for abusing it."
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ~ Edmund Burke‎
"There is no instance of a country having benefitted from a prolonged war." ~ Sun Tsu

GalacticKegger
12.11.2012 , 01:05 AM | #48
Quote: Originally Posted by Totaltrash View Post

Totaltrash eh?
"I bled protecting The People's right to free speech; thus I reserve the right to make them bleed for abusing it."
"All that is necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing" ~ Edmund Burke‎
"There is no instance of a country having benefitted from a prolonged war." ~ Sun Tsu

Totaltrash
12.11.2012 , 01:59 AM | #49
Quote: Originally Posted by GalacticKegger View Post
Totaltrash eh?
Yes, that's my (forum) name, don't wear it out!

Roleplayers aside, most people think too highly of themselves, their toons and their abilities.
Hence self-depreciating names like mine are never taken in MMO's.

Daynna
12.11.2012 , 03:58 AM | #50
Quote: Originally Posted by TheBBP View Post
"Look in the Codex" is garbage too. The codex is hidden in a tab behind your quest journal and nothing in the game prompts you with the knowledge that the codex is a source of all of that info. I can totally see why folks would not think to look there. Either help them or don't. There is no need to be rude to them by any means.
I did say that I do help people, sure I may crack a joke, but I will answer the question. Even if it's to say, "Look in your codex. If you don't know how, bring up your quest journal and look for the tab that says "Codex" along the bottom."