Please upgrade your browser for the best possible experience.

Chrome Firefox Internet Explorer

Lore: Doesn't rule-out any species/class combination?

STAR WARS: The Old Republic > English > Story and Lore
Lore: Doesn't rule-out any species/class combination?

Stoofa
12.03.2012 , 05:53 AM | #1
I'm not a "knowledge base" on the expanded universe, lore etc. I've read my fair share, but there are plenty of other people out there who do know better.
However, as far as I can see there is nothing in lore that prevents any combination of species/class from the current choices?
Sure some of the combinations are far more likely than others. Some would only happen rarely. But as far as I can tell there is no combination which is actually a definite no. Am I right in that assumption/statement?

Ta

Warren-Stride
12.03.2012 , 06:39 AM | #2
Quote: Originally Posted by Stoofa View Post
I'm not a "knowledge base" on the expanded universe, lore etc. I've read my fair share, but there are plenty of other people out there who do know better.
However, as far as I can see there is nothing in lore that prevents any combination of species/class from the current choices?
Sure some of the combinations are far more likely than others. Some would only happen rarely. But as far as I can tell there is no combination which is actually a definite no. Am I right in that assumption/statement?

Ta
Short Answer: You are correct.
Aliens can do what they want. Just because a whole species feels a certain way doesn't mean that one character has to. Anything is possible in a galaxy the size of SWTOR, there are bound to be exceptions.

Long Answer: Ehhh.... kinda.
A few of the glaring Lore-bending combinations:

Spoiler

Are any of these or other combinations a "definate no"? No, they could happen. That character would probably just be its own special snowflake. :3

amnie
12.03.2012 , 02:17 PM | #3
my chiss gunsliner is definitely his very own special snowflake

Mawduce
12.03.2012 , 09:51 PM | #4
Chiss being rare means they can be anything as long as its connected to the Empire. Also Count Dukoo had a Chiss apprentice i believe.
I was made to fly, and you were made to die...

SNCommand
12.04.2012 , 09:05 AM | #5
Some combinations are rare, and that's why they are legacy unlocks to keep them rare
Quote: Originally Posted by Ben "Yahtzee" Croshaw
Personally I would slap Georges hands away from the editing desk, give him a colouring book and then remake the entire prequel trilogy so that Darth Vader uses the force to win breakdance competitions and chokes to death anyone who utters the word midichlorians.

Kendaric
12.04.2012 , 11:48 AM | #6
Quote: Originally Posted by Mawduce View Post
Also Count Dukoo had a Chiss apprentice i believe.
If that's true, they must have retconned the Chiss. As far as I know they aren't force-sensitive as a species.
(█⌉▀|▀|▀|▀[o]█]|▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀▀)

chuixupu
12.04.2012 , 01:17 PM | #7
The issue of Chiss force users has been argued a lot. If you go back to the source (Timothy Zahn's books), they really didn't talk much about it, Thrawn indicated it was something they didn't really know about, but due to the fact that there are now a couple of force-using Chiss in some novels and comics, it's accepted that they can exist. Also, since we know Chiss are descended from humans, there's a pretty good chance there are Chiss born with force sensitivity. The general accpeted idea is that they just don't teach/encourage it in their culture.

As I've pointed out before on this discussion, Chiss interacting with the Empire or Republic at all prior to the Clone Wars is total lore-changing retconning anyway.
Wardens of Fate / Alea Iacta Est
The Tarkus Legacy ~ The Harbinger/Jedi Covenant

Forgon
12.04.2012 , 04:36 PM | #8
Quote: Originally Posted by Kendaric View Post
If that's true, they must have retconned the Chiss. As far as I know they aren't force-sensitive as a species.
A while back, we saw a Chiss agent who was the Supreme Commander before Grievous. After that, we have seen a Chiss Jedi Knight during the Clone War era.
Quote: Originally Posted by milmo View Post
No, we need to rant on how this game is exactly like WoW and when we learn it's not like WoW we go into a blood rage. We must aim to be inconsistent, incoherent and contradictory.

chuixupu
12.04.2012 , 04:43 PM | #9
There are two force sensitive Chiss who have appeared in books, one is Sev'rance Tann http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Sev'rance_Tann the other is Kung'urama'nuruodo http://starwars.wikia.com/wiki/Nuru_Kungurama

Like them or not, there they are, heh.
Wardens of Fate / Alea Iacta Est
The Tarkus Legacy ~ The Harbinger/Jedi Covenant

Nozybidaj
12.04.2012 , 04:57 PM | #10
I just returned to the game recently and started up a new JK. When I saw a bunch of sith purebloods walking through the Jedi Temple I knew lore had pretty much gone out the window in relation to TOR.